Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 10:37 AM

10 posts, read 22,120 times

Advertisements

Yatheygowild,
I am interviewing on saturday; do you have any last minute tips, suggestions, etc...? I'm getting nervous about the amount of candidates that I m up against. I am interviewing for a Spanish position...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:19 AM

6 posts, read 11,357 times
Hi everyone.

I interviewed February 20, so maybe I can answer some last minute questions.

There were about 100 people there on my interview day, and we split into groups of about 7-10. There will be 2 teachers leading each group, and mine were REALLY nice and great. One had 30-some years of experience and the other was newer, but both were friendly and made me feel at ease.

You got right into the 5-minute teaching sessions. People can volunteer for when they want to go, and once that's over you go into a writing sample. This lasts about 20 minutes. Following this there is a 17-minute group discussion that the teachers completely stay out of so they can record what everyone says. Make sure you speak at least once during this part. Then there is a 3-minute writing sample.

After this everyone signs up for personal interviews. My group just did first come first serve, so whoever gets to the paper first can get the first interview. I was unfortunately last, but it wasn't a big deal, since our group was so small. One teacher interviews half of the people, the other teacher the other half. We wrapped up the group stuff around 11:30, then went back to the cafeteria to get an overview of the program and ask questions. I thought this was kind of pointless and boring, but this lasts about another 30 minutes.

I had about 2 hours to kill between this and my personal interview, but it wasn't too bad. The day went by pretty quickly. They did say that they'll be taking about 100 people for the program, which translates to about 1/8 people invited to the interview. I wish they'd invite less people to the interview stage since it can get costly to travel, but what can you do.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:33 PM

Laney619,

Thanks for the info, I was just wondering did you get accepted? And kind of a strange question what were most people wearing?? I hope you made it!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeez View Post
Laney619,

Thanks for the info, I was just wondering did you get accepted? And kind of a strange question what were most people wearing?? I hope you made it!
You're welcome, my pleasure! I haven't heard yet, but you're supposed to hear within two weeks, and this Saturday is two weeks for me. I'll let you know!

Dress as if you're going to any other job interview. Business suit, or nice skirt/pants and top, etc. There was one guy wearing jeans, lol...not sure what the story was with that, maybe he flew in and his luggage was lost. But I'm pretty sure that's frowned upon.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:19 PM

17 posts, read 40,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourCarbon View Post
Hey all... For the interviews, how late do you remember staying? I know the packet/schedule says maximum as late as 3PM, but I was just wondering if anyone experienced it past the 3PM mark. Trying to book a flight... Thanks.

yay!! good work! As far as interview times go, about midway through the interview day (after the morning session, right before a break) you get to pick times for your personal interviews. People in my group were all really great about letting people who needed to fly or drive home that afternoon go first. So technically, if you get the first or second interview spot you can be out of there by 1ish.

Good luck!!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennwife View Post
I will be there on the 27th but, I still do not know where the event is....????
Don't worry, they haven't forgotten about you---they didn't tell me the location of my interview until just a few days before my event! It will be at a Nashville Metro public school.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeez View Post
Yatheygowild,
I am interviewing on saturday; do you have any last minute tips, suggestions, etc...? I'm getting nervous about the amount of candidates that I m up against. I am interviewing for a Spanish position...
Hey Weeez, good luck!

I would be as prepared as possible for the teaching sample. Meaning---make sure you have run through it a few times before that day. Five minutes (the amount of time each person gets) goes very quickly and the more you've practiced the more comfortable you'll feel up there and it'll be obvious that you've taken time to prepare. Plus, it's the first big thing you do on interview day so it's a great way to start off on a confident and positive note. Don't worry too much about the other people---they will all be nervous and excited like you but really, it's kinda fun meeting all the other people so just enjoy it and do the best you can.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatheygowild View Post
Hey Weeez, good luck!

I would be as prepared as possible for the teaching sample. Meaning---make sure you have run through it a few times before that day. Five minutes (the amount of time each person gets) goes very quickly and the more you've practiced the more comfortable you'll feel up there and it'll be obvious that you've taken time to prepare. Plus, it's the first big thing you do on interview day so it's a great way to start off on a confident and positive note. Don't worry too much about the other people---they will all be nervous and excited like you but really, it's kinda fun meeting all the other people so just enjoy it and do the best you can.
Definitely agree with you. This was my first time in "the South" (I don't count Florida as the South) and everyone was just SO nice and friendly. Because of a traffic incident we started late and had like 30 minutes before everything started to just sit and talk. It's fun to hear where everyone's coming from, both geographically and education-wise. There seemed to be a lot of special education people at my interview, but that could just be who I happened to talk to.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laney619 View Post
You're welcome, my pleasure! I haven't heard yet, but you're supposed to hear within two weeks, and this Saturday is two weeks for me. I'll let you know!

Dress as if you're going to any other job interview. Business suit, or nice skirt/pants and top, etc. There was one guy wearing jeans, lol...not sure what the story was with that, maybe he flew in and his luggage was lost. But I'm pretty sure that's frowned upon.
Thanks again!!

Old 03-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatheygowild View Post
Hey Weeez, good luck!

Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville