Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:32 AM

11 posts, read 24,327 times

Advertisements

Anyone have an opinion / advice on good Christian churches in Nashville? (I'm hoping to find anything Bible-based, whether it is Baptist, Methodist, non-denominational, etc.) I'm from a really small area (Eastern Shore of Virginia), so anything from a little tiny backwoods place to a big mega church would be great by me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 09:34 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicemonachicken View Post
Anyone have an opinion / advice on good Christian churches in Nashville? (I'm hoping to find anything Bible-based, whether it is Baptist, Methodist, non-denominational, etc.) I'm from a really small area (Eastern Shore of Virginia), so anything from a little tiny backwoods place to a big mega church would be great by me!
I have a question. I've heard this phrase before: "Bible-based."

What does it mean? I assumed all Christian churches were Bible-based.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:58 PM

19 posts, read 60,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicemonachicken View Post

If you want a good church, you are coming to the right place! The Nashville area has so many churches that finding one that might be a good fit is pretty easy. I go to a church in Franklin called Journey church and love it. When we were looking for a new church a couple of years ago, we visted 6 to 7 churches and enjoyed all of them.. just didn't feel like they were where we were supposed to be. What area of town are you moving to? It is always great to find something close to home!

Lisa

Old 06-09-2009, 04:45 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,284 times
Default give me the bible holy message shining...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
I have a question. I've heard this phrase before: "Bible-based."

What does it mean? I assumed all Christian churches were Bible-based.

essentially, in direct reference to a fundamental approach to the scriptures. these churches generally accept the idea of the trinity, faith alone saves through grace, direct operation of the holy spirit, basic interpretation of genesis as a literal account, and the acceptance of jesus christ as one's personal savior. w/in these parameters, you will find even more tenants of what is thought to be "bible-based."

Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
essentially, in direct reference to a fundamental approach to the scriptures. these churches generally accept the idea of the trinity, faith alone saves through grace, direct operation of the holy spirit, basic interpretation of genesis as a literal account, and the acceptance of jesus christ as one's personal savior. w/in these parameters, you will find even more tenants of what is thought to be "bible-based."
But except for literalism, all of those characteristics are pretty basic to the overwhelming majority of Christian denominations.

Which brings me back to my original question.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:02 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,716 times
My son attended pre-K at a parochial school in WI that declared themselves as Bible Based. They said they took every word of the Bible literally. I never bothered to get into the Leviticus conversation with them...we only had to go to school functions.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,284 times
Default ask, and it shall be given thee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
But except for literalism, all of those characteristics are pretty basic to the overwhelming majority of Christian denominations.

Which brings me back to my original question.
i respectfully disagree. unfortunately, in this day and time, there are several schools of thought in christianity today. liberal/progressive vs conservative/fundamental vs liturgical/congregational. there are deep divides over the gifts of the holy spirit, over transubstantiation vs. consubstantiation in the holy communion, dieism vs theism, strong arguments over the constitution of christianity, and now the entire issue of homosexuality and and the homosexual agenda, as it relates to christianity. bible-based churches find little association or similarity to christian chruches who practice a liturgical form of worship. progressive thought has caused many christian churches to w/draw association from such churches or organizations. secularism is increasingly removing churches from mainstream christianity. the official stance of the episcopal church of the usa no longer accepts the bible as the basic measure of nor authority for its beliefs.

may i refer you back to your original posed question: what does "bible-based" mean? the question, as you posed it, was correctly answered.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
i respectfully disagree. unfortunately, in this day and time, there are several schools of thought in christianity today. liberal/progressive vs conservative/fundamental vs liturgical/congregational. there are deep divides over the gifts of the holy spirit, over transubstantiation vs. consubstantiation in the holy communion, dieism vs theism, strong arguments over the constitution of christianity, and now the entire issue of homosexuality and and the homosexual agenda, as it relates to christianity. bible-based churches find little association or similarity to christian chruches who practice a liturgical form of worship. progressive thought has caused many christian churches to w/draw association from such churches or organizations. secularism is increasingly removing churches from mainstream christianity. the official stance of the episcopal church of the usa no longer accepts the bible as the basic measure of nor authority for its beliefs.

may i refer you back to your original posed question: what does "bible-based" mean? the question, as you posed it, was correctly answered.
What you've cited here has little relation to your previous post. Most Christians accept the Trinity and other things you mentioned originally.

Here you're getting into other issues entirely, which still largely rest on Biblical interpretation. Churches may interpret the Bible differently, but they don't ignore it.

btw, I'm well aware of the diversity of Christianity.

I'm curious what the original poster meant by the phrase, because I've heard it used in different ways by different people, and have seen several churches self-identify as "Bible-based." It's interesting because it implies that other churches ignore or discount the Bible, and I find that puzzling.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
My son attended pre-K at a parochial school in WI that declared themselves as Bible Based. They said they took every word of the Bible literally. I never bothered to get into the Leviticus conversation with them...we only had to go to school functions.
Thanks! If literalism is what sets them apart, then they would feel that other churches are misinterpreting.

And non-literalists would say the same thing about literalists

Would it be safe to say "Bible-based" is a synonym for "fundamentalist"?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,716 times
I try to avoid labeling...but yeah, I guess so! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville