Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Nashville: Tennessee, housing, buy a house, police department, renting an apartment.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:14 AM

15 posts, read 74,213 times

Advertisements

I just received a job offer in Brentwood. I am probably going to accept it and I need help! I would be so grateful! I am from a smaller town in E.TN of about 55k people. My husband is a police officer. My husband does not want to work for Metro. He was impressed with Brentwood's department but they are not currently hiring. Neither is Franklin. We are looking at houses around 175-220k. We noticed hendersonville has affordable housing but we haven't visited the area to know what it's like. Their department is hiring. Our problem is that police departments make you sign a contract and make you live within 20 miles or so of the jurisdiction so we need to find a safe area (and I mean safe-not like Antioch with only good parts-although I never found a good part), with decent housing in our price range, that isn't an insane commute to Brentwood. I know, I know, that's a lot to ask! Does anyone have an area in mind? If anyone knows about the police departments in the area any info is appreciated as well. We were looking at Fairview but it seems there wouldn't be much for my husband there. We were impressed with Franklin but we don't know of any other police departments near there. Is the Hendersonville traffic really insane? My job would be 8-5 so I'd be in the rush hour traffic. Also, we may just rent an apartment for a few months until we find a house we like...If anyone knows of a nice apartment complex that allows pets and has short-term leases (3-6 mos) please fill me in! Any other input is greatly appreciated!!! Also, does anyone know anything about Smyrna? There are so many places surrounding nashville I don't even know where to start.

Last edited by jrona33; 04-12-2007 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 02:42 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
That's a lot of things to discuss. Taking them one-by-one . . .

There are several police departments within an area where you could live and have a reasonable commute to both Brentwood and your husband's job. Some of the ones that come to mind are the Belle Meade PD and the Berry Hill PD (both within Metro Nashville), LaVergne, Smyrna, and the country sheriff's departments. Have you checked into the 20 miles requirement here, or are you going by what is common for police departments? I believe in Metro, someone can live in one of the surrounding counties and still be employed. I'm not sure what the requirements are for some of the other PDs, but they may have a similar requirement (in other words, possibly more than 20 miles). I don't know for sure offhand since I don't work in law enforcement. The local FOP might be able to help answer some of these questions.

As for Hedersonville, it's a nice area in general. The commute from Brentwood to Hendersonville would be a long one however.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:14 AM

42 posts, read 163,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrona33 View Post
I just received a job offer in Brentwood. I am probably going to accept it and I need help! I would be so grateful! I am from a smaller town in E.TN of about 55k people. My husband is a police officer. My husband does not want to work for Metro. He was impressed with Brentwood's department but they are not currently hiring. Neither is Franklin. We are looking at houses around 175-220k. We noticed hendersonville has affordable housing but we haven't visited the area to know what it's like. Their department is hiring. Our problem is that police departments make you sign a contract and make you live within 20 miles or so of the jurisdiction so we need to find a safe area (and I mean safe-not like Antioch with only good parts-although I never found a good part), with decent housing in our price range, that isn't an insane commute to Brentwood. I know, I know, that's a lot to ask! Does anyone have an area in mind? If anyone knows about the police departments in the area any info is appreciated as well. We were looking at Fairview but it seems there wouldn't be much for my husband there. We were impressed with Franklin but we don't know of any other police departments near there. Is the Hendersonville traffic really insane? My job would be 8-5 so I'd be in the rush hour traffic. Also, we may just rent an apartment for a few months until we find a house we like...If anyone knows of a nice apartment complex that allows pets and has short-term leases (3-6 mos) please fill me in! Any other input is greatly appreciated!!! Also, does anyone know anything about Smyrna? There are so many places surrounding nashville I don't even know where to start.

I live in Hendersonville, its a great town, only 25min into Nashville. Moderator cut: advertising Hendersonville is booming.....Indian lake is right off the main driving strip (Johnny Cash Highway) they are developing all new stores there.

Short term leases are going to be hard to find, especially in the areas that you are looking at.

good luck.

linda

Old 04-16-2007, 07:50 PM

31 posts, read 157,613 times
Maybe try the Nolensville Police Department (http://www.nolensvilletn.gov/TownHall/protection.htm). Nolensville is only a few minutes southeast from Brentwood and still in Williamson County. It is a very nice, but small, town, and there should be homes there that fit your budget. Also, maybe you could try the Williamson County Sheriff's Deparment.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:39 PM

10 posts, read 37,491 times
Hello~

I would check with Smyrna, Williamson, & Brentwood. All of these counties are within 20 min. and then live in Smyrna. If you need any help just let me know.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville