Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 09:19 PM

255 posts, read 757,349 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am considering opening a spiritual type bookstore in the Hendersonville area that will also feature works of art from local artists, windchimes and decorative gifts.

My husband told me he will back me with whatever I wish to do but he is concerned that it will not be a real success.

With people doing most of their reading on the computer and getting info off their phones not many are looking for this type of store anymore.

I am ever optimistic and believe "If you open it, they will come". lol

Anyone have an opinion on this endeavor before I continue with the plans?

I greatly appreciate your honest opinions, as this is the only way to truely see if this will be worth our time and efforts.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
You would need to stock merchandise other than books; cards, music, magazines, gifts, maybe have coffee or drinks of some kind. Also location is important. Your store must be located where there will be walk in traffic from other businesses. We have a small local bookstore close to where we live and this is their biggest problem. No one goes there unless they are going there specifically.

I admire what you want to do, I've always wanted to open a book store of my own. Last year I worked at Books A Million and loved it. I'm rooting for your success.

How close are you to Lifeway Books. I know their main store is in Nashville and I would expect they would be your biggest competition.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_magination View Post
Hello all,

I am considering opening a spiritual type bookstore in the Hendersonville area that will also feature works of art from local artists, windchimes and decorative gifts.

My husband told me he will back me with whatever I wish to do but he is concerned that it will not be a real success.

With people doing most of their reading on the computer and getting info off their phones not many are looking for this type of store anymore.

I am ever optimistic and believe "If you open it, they will come". lol

Anyone have an opinion on this endeavor before I continue with the plans?

I greatly appreciate your honest opinions, as this is the only way to truely see if this will be worth our time and efforts.

Thanks!
Do your research and GO FOR IT! I would come to your store. We are only on this earth for a little while so live your dreams!

Old 06-20-2009, 05:02 PM

255 posts, read 757,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
You would need to stock merchandise other than books; cards, music, magazines, gifts, maybe have coffee or drinks of some kind. Also location is important. Your store must be located where there will be walk in traffic from other businesses. We have a small local bookstore close to where we live and this is their biggest problem. No one goes there unless they are going there specifically.

I admire what you want to do, I've always wanted to open a book store of my own. Last year I worked at Books A Million and loved it. I'm rooting for your success.

How close are you to Lifeway Books. I know their main store is in Nashville and I would expect they would be your biggest competition.
You mean that just my exuberant smile and winning personality won't bring the people in droves just to acquire absolutely free of charge time chatting with me!?!?! ROFL

I was actually thinking boutique type with other things as well so I would draw business. lol But I love getting lost in those eclectic type stores and thought it would be so much fun to open one myself.

I am totally open to suggestions at this point because I am doing my research this way before I dive right in.

I appreciate any suggestions and comments if you don't mind my silly responses...I have a healthy sense of humor.

Keep them coming! I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: