Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:32 AM

10 posts, read 19,386 times

Advertisements

Nashville is the self proclaimed "Music City", but the city directs most of its attention towards country music, which is not the only popular form of music to Nashville citizens. If you go downtown on Broadway you only see bars that target the country music crowd. I believe the city should evolve into a true "Music City", one that would appreciate and expose different forms of music on a larger scale. Not just 80% Country to 20%Other. We should be called the "Country Music Capital" instead of "Music City until then.

Nashville has a lot of potential, but until the city capitalizes on the interest of all citizens, it will not reach its potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 01:46 AM

24 posts, read 41,331 times
That's a very good point. I love country music though

Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm2003 View Post
Nashville is the self proclaimed "Music City", but the city directs most of its attention towards country music, which is not the only popular form of music to Nashville citizens. If you go downtown on Broadway you only see bars that target the country music crowd. I believe the city should evolve into a true "Music City", one that would appreciate and expose different forms of music on a larger scale. Not just 80% Country to 20%Other. We should be called the "Country Music Capital" instead of "Music City until then.

Nashville has a lot of potential, but until the city capitalizes on the interest of all citizens, it will not reach its potential.
Yes, the Broadway area is mostly honky-tonks, but have you been to other clubs in town? Mercy Lounge, Exit Inn, and 12th and Porter are all good places to catch non-country acts. Here's how 3rd and Lindsley describes itself- "The 3rd & Lindsley Bar and Grill features more styles of music than almost any other club in Nashville: Progressive, AAA, Blues, R&B, Rock & Roll, Alternative, Americana and Soul. " There are also several good blues bars in town, jazz venues and don't forget the Schermerhorn!

Yes, country and bluegrass are the most visible genres, but IMO, the Music City name really fits.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
Lots of different music in Nashville. Broadway is tourist central (although I like it, too!) and most of them come for the country music.

Besides, Nashville is "Music City" because of the music CREATED here, not just played in bars...and all kinds, stripes and styles is created and recorded here by all kinds and by nearly everyone who is anyone in music.

But, if you want to get reeeaaaalll picky, Nashville for years made much more money from other industries than music...but "Publishing City" or "Insurance City" just doesn't have the same ring...

Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 AM

297 posts, read 1,078,704 times
Nashville is dominated by country music, as much as everyone wants to believe that all music is created or heard here. Nashville should be called "Country Music City USA" not "Music City USA." Please read about the much-talked-about "Nashville Curse." Here is a link from Nashville Scene:

Nashville - Nashville Scene - Nashville Cream - The Nashville Curse: Don't Call It a Curse

Quote - "If you've toiled in Nashville's rock scene for any amount of time, you've no doubt heard of the dreaded Nashville Curse. After Jason and the Nashville Scorchers were pressured to drop "Nashville" from their moniker to hit it big in the '80s, the skies darkened and Hank Williams, Sr. wept, dooming all Nashville rock acts to sell less than a million records.
For decades since that dark day, many locals have believed that we'll always be wedded to the outside perception that Nashville can only do twang. Or that we're so infected by Music Row's polish that we're too busy looking at the bottom line to really focus on being bona fide artists. Or perhaps we're not influenced enough by formula and cliche, and our rock acts, no matter how talented, still can't pull a hot-**** hit out of their asses. Or maybe the problem is Nashville audiences, who've cursed our locals and touring bands with our indifference..."

Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 AM

317 posts, read 1,231,110 times
Do you live here? There is certainly more to our music city than Broadway. In the business, just about every genre is represented here. Songwriters with songs in every genre. Companies for every genre. Look at the wide variety of artists who live here in addition to most of the Country and Christian artists. Have you been to the venues for local music like: 3rd & Lindsley, The Rutledge, the former City Hall, 12th & Porter, The Basement, Mercy Lounge, Station Inn, Rocketown, Exit/In, Douglas Corner, Bluebird Cafe, The Five Spot, The End, Nashville Jazz Workshop, BB Kings, Cafe Coco, The Schermerhorn, and there really is no limit to the places that have different kinds of music. They are just everywhere. There's a hip hop scene here. There was a blues and jazz festival last weekend. There's always a huge Americana festival each year. I could go on...

Yes, country music is king here, but that's not all we have.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:42 AM

I do live here, and have enjoyed several of the music venues your listed. I most definitely could be wrong, but if all music genres were present in Nashville, then why has there never been a major Hip Hop artist, rock band, metal, or even Pop artist come out of Nashville? Like I said, I could be wrong, but no one comes to mind...In my opinon, just about all the artists who "make it" here are of the Country/Folk/Bluegrass varierty.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:51 AM

Will Hoge, Kings of Leon, Miley Cyrus, Paramore, should I continue?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Will Hoge, Kings of Leon, Miley Cyrus, Paramore, should I continue?
Ok. I stand corrected. What about Hip Hop? Just curious.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:24 AM

Young Buck, for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: