U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:37 AM

3,825 posts, read 7,812,317 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with Comcast. I like the On Demand feature, especially. Their DVR isn't the best in the world (I miss my Tivo with Directv), but their service is fine, I think. I might say something different in a year when my cheap deal expires, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 AM

6 posts, read 18,443 times
there is really only one cable service provider..comcast..which sucks..there is no competition so they charge astronomical prices compared to the dish...if u have a great rate stick with satelitte otherwise cComcast will suck you in with a deal and then in 6 months your bill is $150...and don't be fooled by the 99 ( cable,phone,internet) deal it only offers basic cable and speed for internet ( which i heard is not very good)

Old 07-31-2009, 05:19 PM

957 posts, read 3,515,088 times
Comcast service and signal quality is horrible. I like decent quality TV and I recently went on a quest to get more for less and I came up with Tivo. I always thought it was just a DVR but it's more than that. The Tivo service is $129 for the year, then go sign up for NetFlix for $8.95 per month. You need an HD Tivo box. I got mine directly from Tivo factory reconditioned for $199.

With those two services, you have access to all kinds of free stuff from Tivo plus most of the programming on NetFlix. The Tivo box connects to NetFlix via a broadband internet connection and streams movies directly. For movies of TV episodes that are not available for instant download, they will still send you DVD's. NetFlix has most of the popular TV episodes from Discover, History, TLC, Showtime, etc. recorded. Tivo also connects to YouTube, Disney, Amazon Video, and a few more. Amazon and Disney charge per download sort of like buying pay-per-view. NetFlix is unlimited for $8.95/month.

I'm not trying to sell either service, I just got tired of Comcasts business model of offering the least possible quality for the highest possible price. Also...Most of the stuff that comes from NetFlix is in HD. HD costs even more with Comcast and the quality is not what I would consider HD.

For local programming you can either get limited basic from Comcast, which gives you 3 or 4 more channels that you would have on an antenna, but since everyone is not broadcasting in digital HD, the picture you'll get on an antenna is actually better than what you'll get on Comcast cable. Nashville, being a major metro area, broadcasts all of the networks locally, so no fancy antenna is needed, but if you put up a decent high gain antenna, you can pull in HD from 70+ miles away.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:10 PM

569 posts, read 1,315,596 times
If you have been happy with Dish....I would just stick with them. I've had Dish, Direct and Comcast. I usually switch back and forth depending on what kind of offer I get. Other than getting used to the different channel numbers I can't say one is that much better than another. The most important thing for me is to have a DVR or Tivo box. If I have that and a reasonable monthly bill...then I'm happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: