Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,615 times

Advertisements

Hi! I stumbled across this forum and am excited to meet someone from New Orleans too. I went to Tulane and ended up staying for 8 years. We moved to the Nashville for work in 2001, but we always consider NOLA home. We plan to go back when the kids are grown and fight for the city again.

People who never lived there don't understand that you love the city as if it were a person, despite all its faults, because it has a soul of its own.

I miss that kind of energy, but we are currently making the best of it in Franklin, TN. It is a very nice, upscale suburb of Nashville. The public schools here in Williamson County are the best in the state, and many people (including us) gravitated here for that reason.

As nice as it is here in Franklin, we are tired of the sterile, yuppie lifestyle. It is somehow sucking the life energy out of us. We are going to put our house on the market and head to the country for a more peaceful, earthy existence. It's not New Orleans, but at least we can get back to nature.

We already have a contract on 7 acres of land in Fairview (still Williamson County Schools), but we are leaning towards letting it go and buying an existing house because we are not up to the task of building new construction. We secured the contract at well below market value and would consider assigning it to a new buyer for a little bit of mark-up but still a good bargain, around $8500 per acre. That way it is a win-win situation for everybody.

Also for sale is our home in Franklin. It about 2600 sq. ft, 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, all brick, in a very desirable, family-friendly neighborhood called Forrest Crossing. Comparable houses in this subdivision run about $335-395K.

If anyone wants more info about either the 7 acres in Fairview or the home in Franklin, or even if you just want to talk about N'awlins, feel free to contact me.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 11:51 AM

22 posts, read 75,212 times
Default New Orleans: Love it or hate it

There are certainly things I miss about New Orleans, but I don't know that we'll ever move back, because there's a lot I don't miss. It is a very unique city, with lots of character.

xenancy, we have friends from New Orleans (Mandeville, actually) who live in Forrest Crossing also. We live in Fieldstone Farms currently, but closed on a house in Fairview yesterday. We're moving there for exactly the reasons you mentioned. How do you raise your children to be individuals, when you're raising them in an environment that won't even allow you to choose your own mailbox or exterior paint colors because of the neighborhood HOA rules and regulations. Hopefully, our house here will sell quickly because we cannot afford to maintain two houses for long and we need to do quite a bit of work on the one in Fairview.

We'll probably be going home over fall break. Can't wait to eat at some of my favorite restaurants!

Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,576 times
Default Hi... I'm from Metairie

I'm Katharine and I'm from Metairie. I have been in TN since the storm and while I want to move home, when I go there I become so depressed and panic-stricken that I have to run back here... which really sux since my son goes to UNO and my daughter goes to Loyola! My heart is ripped in two. I havn't made any friends here and have become quite the hermit.
I've been trying to meet some other people from home, hoping to make connections that way because it's really hard to live... lonely.
Anyway... I'm here, in Nashville now. East Nashville.
Anyone want to say hi, that would be great.
Kat.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:43 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrykat View Post
I'm Katharine and I'm from Metairie. I have been in TN since the storm and while I want to move home, when I go there I become so depressed and panic-stricken that I have to run back here... which really sux since my son goes to UNO and my daughter goes to Loyola! My heart is ripped in two. I havn't made any friends here and have become quite the hermit.
I've been trying to meet some other people from home, hoping to make connections that way because it's really hard to live... lonely.
Anyway... I'm here, in Nashville now. East Nashville.
Anyone want to say hi, that would be great.
Kat.
Hi!

What are your interests? Music, cooking, nature, art, wine, sewing, charity work, sports . . . ? Get involved in what you enjoy and you will automatically meet people who share a common interest and the hurdle of getting to know someone will be lowered. Just a thought.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:32 AM

43 posts, read 146,255 times
Hi Katharine!!! We'll be moving soon from Harahan to west Nashville. It is my GOAL when I get there to start up a group of transplants. We could meet once a month or every other week. I just need some of that home flavor!!! I'm really nervous about being there without what's familiar to me too. Hang in there. If we can ever sell our house, we'll be moving on up and I'm determined to make it work. About where did you live in Metairie? Are your kids moving up when they get out of school?

Old 10-10-2007, 09:33 AM

597 posts, read 2,108,655 times
sum, let me know if you got my message about the active group of NOLA transplants already in the area. Hopefully, you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you make contact with the name I sent you, just tell her Dave in the VW convertible (from Katrina days) sent you.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:58 AM

I don't think I got it, but I would LOVE to get in touch with them. My husband is already in Nashville during the week working and every time he comes home he tells me how I'm never going to want to come back once we move!

Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 AM

31 posts, read 139,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumwunzma View Post
We're moving to the Nashville area in a couple of months, probably in Fairview. I've heard that there are a couple of groups of families in the Nashville area who are former New Orleanians. Rumor has it they get together for crawfish boils, family outings, gumbo parties, etc. Anyone know about them or how I can contact them? As beautiful as middle Tennessee is, I know I'm going to get homesick! I'd love to hang out with other families who have made the adjustment.

Thanks!
I am not comfortable in giving out persons I know on the forum. But there is a wonderful woman and her boyfriend who stand on the corner or 14th ave and Eastland (right off Gallatin Rd North) every Monday between 5- 6pm(I think) to protest the war in Iraq. I think she is the queen of New Orleans immigrants. She is constantly sponsoring or organizing New Orlean's stuff. Anna

Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 AM

597 posts, read 2,108,655 times
Anna, from your description, these folks sound very familiar. I'm sure they'd appreciate our discretion about their names. I'm sure it's J and D.

lol, well, sum, looks like it's time to give hubby and map and a mission. We'll get you hooked up one way or another.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:00 PM

Are you suggesting that I or anyone from New Orleans would want to hang out with a wacko? Oh, and the gumbo parties thing was a joke. I have never, ever known anyone who has a gumbo party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville