U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 10,501 times

Advertisements

I am moving from NYC to Nashville this month to take a new job and we have a young son. My husband and I are both going to be working, and I could really use some recommendations for quality daycare centers that take younger kids.

We're moving to Sylvan Park and I'm going to be working right in the center of downtown, so I'd love to find somewhere near one or the other, or right smack in between them. Does anyone know of any? Thanks for any and all help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:09 PM

144 posts, read 434,003 times
When I was looking in that area several years ago there were year long wait lists everywhere! There's a childcare center at Vanderbilt (with a waitlist usually). Some churches down Broadway and West End had childcare. Sorry, it's been a few years so I can't remember, but the important point is to get on a waiting list now!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:49 PM

153 posts, read 658,392 times
I wouldn't bother with Vanderbilt childcare center--we've been on the waiting list there for 16 months. If you aren't familiar with the tennessee daycare provider rankings, you should definitely check them out and try to find a three star provider:
PROVIDER LIST DAVIDSON COUNTY <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" dir="ltr" lang="en"> <head> <meta http-eq (http://www.state.tn.us/humanserv/childcare/19/prov.htm - broken link)

We use Grace Eaton Child Care Center, which would be roughly on your way to work(Pearl and 17th ave N). I've been quite pleased with them, and it is a 3star provider, but it is a primarily low income center, and adjacent to public housing.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:17 AM

Thank you both very much! Although the waiting list issue is going to be a doozy...

One of our new neighbors recommended two places--Brook Hollow and Cathedral. Have you all heard of either one?

Old 07-23-2009, 08:10 AM

51 posts, read 185,110 times
Default A Few Other Options...

The Vanderbilt Child Care does have a long wait list, and it is open only to Vanderbilt employees. There is the Susan Gray School on the Vanderbilt campus that serves as the demonstration school for the school of education. They are open to anyone and their wait list isn't that long, but it is more expensive and the hours are a bit shorter than regular daycare.

I am not familiar with Brookhollow, and I'm not sure which Cathedral has full daycare. The Episcopal Cathedral is a site for a social service agency that just uses the facility; you have to qualify (ie low income) to use it. The Catholic Cathedral doesn't have one on site.

Your friend may have been refering to West End Methodist Church, which has a program that is large and well respected. It is located between Sylvan Park and downtown. I've also heard good things about Saint Mary's Villa/Catholic Charities, which is off of White Bridge Road. It is near Sylvan Park, but in the other direction. It would be a very managable commute. Both these programs are full day care, not just mothers day out programs.

Good Luck!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:16 AM

51 posts, read 185,110 times
Default Brookhollow

Wait! I do have friend whose child goes to Brookhollow for a Mothers Day Out program. It seems to be working for the family, but I'm not sure if they have full daycare also...

Old 07-31-2009, 02:52 PM

That seems to be the case--only short program, no full daycare. I have gotten a tentative slot at a place called CCC (Cooperative Child Care), but haven't officially taken it yet. It is a three-star provider and seems okay.

Anyone heard about this program, good or bad?

Old 08-01-2009, 10:18 AM

64 posts, read 234,322 times
Default Darlene's little angels

we had two children at Darlene's (she is the owner) our children loved the experience. Darlene is very loving and has a wonderful staff, we cannot say enough. They are very convenient to your location so I would definitely give them a call. link below will give you phone number and address.

Darlene's Little Angels Inc - Nashville, Tennessee (TN) | Company Profile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville