Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 104,568 times

Advertisements

I got approved for a morgage, but I am in need of a personal loan for a down payment of $4,000. Can anyone suggest a company that can approve a loan quickly with so-so credit.
Any info is most helpful
Thank you
Georgette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 07:36 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,937,412 times
Have you checked out prosper dot com?

Old 04-30-2007, 11:59 AM

627 posts, read 1,846,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeh View Post
I got approved for a morgage, but I am in need of a personal loan for a down payment of $4,000. Can anyone suggest a company that can approve a loan quickly with so-so credit.
Any info is most helpful
Thank you
Georgette
In perfect honesty if you need to get a loan for a downpayment for a home, you have some larger financial issues you might want to address.

Most mortgage companies will be asking where you got that $4,000 from, and if it was a loan, they may very well revoke your approved mortgage.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 104,568 times
It was the mortage company that told me to apply for the loan for the down payment. I'm new to all this. Is this normal for them to suggest this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
In perfect honesty if you need to get a loan for a downpayment for a home, you have some larger financial issues you might want to address.

Most mortgage companies will be asking where you got that $4,000 from, and if it was a loan, they may very well revoke your approved mortgage.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:18 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,996 times
Quote:
It was the mortage company that told me to apply for the loan for the down payment. I'm new to all this. Is this normal for them to suggest this?
First a few questions:

1. Do you have a downpayment for the home?
2. If not, what is the pressing need to go into debt with what I assume is a personal loan to get a downpayment on a house?
3. What is the reason that the mortgage company is suggesting a loan?

Right before we bought our home, the mortgage company required bank statements for the 3 months prior to our application. Then they questioned where we got the money for the downpayment to the builder. This payment was just transferred from our money market account, but they wanted validation that we didn't just get a gift to afford the home.

This whole situation is highly unusual and sounds very fishy to me. I have never once heard of a mortgage company telling a potential borrower to go into debt to finance their downpayment.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:22 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
Right before we bought our home, the mortgage company required bank statements for the 3 months prior to our application. Then they questioned where we got the money for the downpayment to the builder. This payment was just transferred from our money market account, but they wanted validation that we didn't just get a gift to afford the home.
The closings I've been involved with require you to sign a statement that the downpayment isn't from a loan. As I recall, they didn't care if it was a gift (as long as it really was a gift and didn't have to be paid back). If the loan the original poster is talking about is commercial, it's going to show up on their credit report.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:40 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,634,713 times
Exactly. For gifts, most lendors require a letter from the giver (usually a relative) stating that it does have to be repaid.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:46 PM

63 posts, read 294,281 times
Instead of a loan why aren't they doing a 107% loan for you. I am very surprised to hear them saying get a loan for the dnpymt too. There must me someone on this site that can PM you with a better financing situation.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:01 AM

225 posts, read 1,144,167 times
I am a Realtor and your question throws up red flags all over! Something is not on the up and up with this mortgage company. There are lots of reputable mortgage lenders, and some that are not so reputable. They should either be doing 100% financing, an 80/20 loan, or possibly putting you through a program with a "gift" program for the downpayment if you qualify. Closing costs and downpayment can all be rolled into the purchase price, if you qualify and the house will appraise. I cannot think of any situation where the buyer could take out a loan for the downpayment seperate from the mortgage and this be legal. If you need the names of some reputable lenders for a second opinion, please feel free to PM me or email me through my profile. You should at least talk with other local lenders who have solid reputations before you proceed.
Quote:
Any info is most helpful
Thank you
Georgette

Old 05-08-2007, 07:23 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,325,687 times
I am going to agree with Well kids and BigTR. I am a mortgage broker, and I saw red flags all over the place with your posting. Be VERY careful with your lender telling you to get a personal loan as a down payment. I would get a second and third opinion if I were you. Get your credit report and take it to someone else (don't let them re pull your credit) good loan officers can tell you what mortgages you can qualify for by looking at your credit report without having to re pull one, which can hurt your credit even more. If you are being qualified for a mortgage that does allow you to use borrowed funds as a down payment, it is at a VERY high interest rate and is an A.R.M....correct? Are you SURE you will be in a better financial postion (not just credit wise) in 2 years so you can refi before the loan adjusts?
Have you thought about taking a few months to work on your credit and put you in a better position to afford the house? This few months can put you in a better position for years instead of very tight financial position for many years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville