Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:28 PM

22 posts, read 64,965 times

Advertisements

We just returned from a visit to the Clarksville and Nashville area. My husband will be commuting to Hopkinsville, KY so we decided that would be the best option (although I think I would prefer the Hendersonville area). We spent alot of time driving around various neighbourhoods, trying to get a feel of the area.
Can anyone tell me anything about the Sango area? Crime? schools? walkable?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 06:18 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
I live in Nashville but grew up just a few miles from Sango. It's a nice area. I assume you want to stay close to I-24 for the commute; most of the areas nearby from Sango up to about Highway 79 are nice for the most part. I can't tell you much about the schools. Sango is low density suburban and walkable along the less busy streets and roads, but there are few sidewalks.

Just out of curiosity, why did you want to live in Clarksville rather than Hopkinsville?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:25 PM

204 posts, read 876,197 times
We live in Sango - great schools and many great neighborhoods. Most of the newer subdivisions have sidewalks and rotary park features good walking trails.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:08 PM

We have chosen Clarksville over Hopkinsville...and I hate to say it...but based on our first impression of Hoptown...and the fact that it doesn't seem very family oriented. Do you know if the subdivisions in Sango hace street lights? Is Clarksville a safe area to go out at night...say a mom and daughter shopping? If you need to run out to the grocery store or the drugstore in the middle of the night to get medicine is this a safe thing to do? Where we live in Canada, I wouldn't think twice about going out alone.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 PM

I'll defer to cashmann for any specific details about Sango, canada3. As I mentioned, I grew up there but it's been several years since I've actually live in Clarksville. Cashmann lives there now and knows the details better than I.

I think you've find the immediately Sango area very safe, and the nearby areas (where you'd go for shopping options or to run errands) safe enough to be out at night alone as long as you use a few reasonable precautions. It's not that something is likely to happen, but at the same time you don't want to invite any problem. At night you'd generally want to keep to well-lit areas and where there are at least a few other folks about. If you start to feel "creepy" wherever you are, then it's time to leave. Remember, there are a lot of folks who live in Sango / Clarksville and most of them will go their whole lives without being a victim of violent crime. I live in Nashville which has a high overall crime rate. I live in an area of Nashville not unlike Sango which has a lower crime rate. So far in my life in Nashville the only time I've have a problem with crime is when someone stole my lawn mower a few years ago.

Welcome to the US. I hope you enjoy the move. It will be different in many ways, but you might find you like it here. I have a friend of a friend from BC who likes coming to Nashville so much she got into trouble with the Customs Department / Homeland Security for going back and forth from Canada to the US so much. They thought she might be up to something and pulled her visa for a while. She's okay now; she was just here for yet another visit.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:48 AM

282 posts, read 806,587 times
Wouldn't they also save in income tax since KY has it and TN does not? They would still have to pay any local city/county taxes, but state income tax is based on where you live, is it not?

I'm in a similar situation and pay my state income tax to the state where I live in, not work.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 AM

I think that you need to pay attention to your surroundings and follow your instincts wherever you live. But, thanks, that makes me feel more comfortable about the area. It is such a big move ... does anyone reccommend an elementary school (that we should try to find a home that district)?

Thanks again...when we were in Clarksville we were not able to get into the public schools because it was summer vacation. We did drive by some...but you would obviously get more of a feel the school from a visit.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 AM

I think most of the younger kids in the Sango area would go to East Montgomery Elementary, which is nearby.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:51 AM

Just curious...we are looking for a house with a pool. Why are there so few in Clarksville? We have one in Canada and we only use it for a few months of the year.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 AM

Pools are just not that popular in Tennessee. People have a variety of theories for why; everything from they're expensive to put in because of the rock (although Clarksville is not as bad as Nashville in that regard) to people would rather go to the lake to they're only usable for about half the year to they're a pain in the butt to maintain. Probably a little of all these reasons go into the mix.

There are houses with pools in Clarksville, but you might have a hard time finding a house you like, in the location you like, with a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville