Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:41 PM

32 posts, read 57,307 times

Advertisements

I had to post to this thread again. My user name used to be li2south. I made the move to Wilson County and although I had my fears about spiders (mostly), snakes and other critters I can say with confidence that I have seen NOTHING as far as my feared critters go. What I did was had my house sprayed for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. Then I added on prevention for whatever seasonal critters that may come about. The company put down glue trap monitors and the only thing we caught was ONE ant in 3 months. I also have them spray extra in my garage and walk in storage area. I still had the company come back for another spray because we did have a problem with "sweet ants" but that has now been controlled. By the way, I don't know the technical name for them but everyone called them sweet ants. One treatment I want to add is to bomb the crawlspace. Is it safe in the rest of the house when I bomb it?

I will continue to have my house sprayed on schedule because if I started to see a problem with spiders or any other critter on my biggest fear list I'd never go to sleep again!

What I have done on my own is keep up with spraying Home Defense (found in home improvement stores) around my deck, doors and windows whenever I spot a web here or there.

Maybe I am over protecting my home but it helps me sleep at night!

By the way, I moved from Long Island NY and really urge anyone who is hesitant about moving here because of the critters to look around wherever you live now. You have critters too! These are just different from what you have grown accustomed to. There is nothing to fear here that you aren't fearing already. Just be smart and be sure not to purchase a property that has a spider problem or worse... Keep your surroundings maintained and cared for and you will be fine.

Let me add how much I LOVE it here and I am so glad I made the move! Your Tennesseans RULE! You are so great and so is your state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 11:13 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,378 times
Thanks for the update, littlegto.

And so happy to hear that you love it here! When people with positive attitudes like yours move here, I'm sure it just makes Tennessee even better

As for the question about whether it is safe to bomb the crawlspace, I'm not sure. Definitely something to ask multiple pest control experts.

It sounds like you've been very successful protecting your space with pesticides. Since pesticides are generally toxic to everything (humans included), I'd just be careful not to overdo it, especially if you have children or pets around the home.

By the way, where did you end up deciding to settle in Wilson County?

Old 09-04-2010, 11:35 PM

32 posts, read 57,307 times
Thank you for the compliment! Really TN and all the people who live here deserve all the praise. I went to The Nashville Zoo today and I was greeted kindly, treated like a human being and if I bumped into someone by accident I was able to apologize and it was accepted without confrontation or threats to kill me Where I come from I would have been called a whole bunch of terrible names and who knows what else! I had a great time and the zoo is really nice!

I know I over do with the pest prevention But I was sure to use only natural mixtures that are safe for humans and pets. I would just rather not see anything if I can avoid it!

We decided to call Willoughby Station our new home. The neighbors are terrific and I am very happy with our decision.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:36 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,378 times
Sounds great, littlegto.

Mt. Juliet sounds like a lovely area. Do you end up coming into downtown Nashville much? If so, do you usually use Rt. 70 (Lebanon Pike) or Interstate 40?

(My wife and I love on the other side of town out in Bellevue, but I'd like to head out and check out Mt. Juliet one of these days...)

Hope you're having a great Labor Day weekend!!

Old 09-06-2010, 04:47 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
The Nashville Zoo may still have a black widow & brown recluse cage. Should be enough to have you clean the crawlspace. Most bugs depend on how clean you keep your house (put food away) (store items in a plastic box). I do a foundation spay & heed the label directions. There are different types of control measures.

In different parts of the city, there are coyotes running outside. Please do not leave any dog/cat or pet food outside. Be sure critters can't easily get in your garbage.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:05 AM

145 posts, read 515,472 times
I just moved to a new house in Gallatin, TN (Sumner County, which borders on Wilson). Our neighbors have had an ongoing problem with black widow spiders and they've been here just a few months, also in a new house. They spray the perimeter of the house outside regularly and they told us to do the same. So far they have never seen any of them inside the house.

We built new flower beds over the weekend and black widow spiders were found during that adventure.

So, yes, we have those nasty buggers around here, even with brand new construction. I would blame construction activity for stirring them up. In my case, access to food or how clean the house is kept are not factors. Have not lived here long enough for either one to attract spiders.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:12 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
Like Aaron said, a three year old in Macon Co. died last week from a brown recluse bite. Such a shame. I was bitten last year but I was 25 & my body was strong enough to fight off the venom. It wasn't a big deal, I just had to rest & take some medicine, it's not something that's so common here that I worry about.

Courtney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville