Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 12:18 PM

282 posts, read 806,828 times

Advertisements

Hi There,

I am curious if anyone is aware of any good books on Nashville for transplants. Mainly, books which contain various metrics on the area as well as down to earth descriptions on what it is like to live in its various places.

Of course, it needs to be fairly current as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 12:39 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Maybe Insiders Guide to Nashville.

And for new arrivals, I often suggest getting a flip-fold map of Nashville. It's about the size of a postcard but it automatically unfolds itself when opened (and even better, refolds itself). It's surprisingly detailed and shows a number of attractions in the Nashville area. Handy too if you happen to get lost.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:31 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,144 times
I don't live in TN anymore but a few years ago I was in the legendary Cody's bookstore in Berkeley, CA (now closed) and I saw the book Tennessee by Robert Brandt, published by Fodor's imprint, Compass. Since I wanted to purchase something at the world famous store, I walked out with it. I remember only a half dozen or so states were represented in the Cody's collection of this series, maybe that says something about TN.

Each grand division of the state gets its own chapter, as do Nashville and Memphis. The chapters on Nashville and Middle TN have a lot of info you should find helpful. This is a fabulous book, packed with photos and graphics; I have and read the 2001 edition and would be interested to know if there is a later edition.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:43 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
I don't live in TN anymore but a few years ago I was in the legendary Cody's bookstore in Berkeley, CA (now closed) and I saw the book Tennessee by Robert Brandt, published by Fodor's imprint, Compass. Since I wanted to purchase something at the world famous store, I walked out with it. I remember only a half dozen or so states were represented in the Cody's collection of this series, maybe that says something about TN.

Each grand division of the state gets its own chapter, as do Nashville and Memphis. The chapters on Nashville and Middle TN have a lot of info you should find helpful. This is a fabulous book, packed with photos and graphics; I have and read the 2001 edition and would be interested to know if there is a later edition.
I immediately went to research that book. There is a new edition available on Amazon, and the old edition is available from the Nashville Public Library.

I'm ashamed to say I was not familiar with this book, so thanks for the information.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:51 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,960 times
Here are some from the "Images of America" series -

East Nashville - Arcadia Publishing

"Book Description:
During the 19th century, Nashville’s families of means built large estates in bucolic East Nashville, away from the noise and pollution of the city. The village of Edgefield became Nashville’s most exclusive suburb, with rows of commanding Italianate, Renaissance Revival, and Queen Anne townhomes lining Woodland, Russell, and Fatherland Streets. Streetcar suburbs formed in the Lockeland and East End areas as farmland and country estates were sold off and subdivided. Included in this exquisite collection of images––most of which are from state and local archives and private collections––are rare views of local landmarks that are now only memories. View the magnificent estates, historic churches and schools, and mom-and-pop businesses that once thrived in these communities. Experience the tranquility of Shelby Park––a relaxing boat ride on Lake Sevier or a picnic in the Sycamore Lodge. Also explored in East Nashville are the trials the area has endured over the years, from the Great Fire of 1916 and the Tornado of 1933 to the vast changes brought on by urban renewal. This collection is a tribute to the people who have helped make East Nashville what it is today."

Nashville’s Inglewood - Arcadia Publishing

"Book Description:
Settled north of Nashville in 1782, Inglewood began as a farming community on the Cumberland River. Early prominent citizens built many grand homes in the area, including Weakley and Riverwood, which are still standing today. A new community called “Inglewood Place” began in 1908 and churches, schools, and businesses soon followed. Nearly 700 homes were built prior to 1940, but Inglewood saw its heyday following World War II as Nashville’s first modern suburb. Inglewood’s Isaac Litton High School was known throughout Middle Tennessee for its academic excellence, championship sports, and its renowned band, “The Marching 100.” Today people are moving back to Inglewood because of its history and beauty still reflected in the majestic Cumberland River, the numerous natural springs, and varied architecture."

***They also have books on other areas in Nashville and the surrounding communities and glimpses of the past like Nashville baseball and the history of beer brewing in Nashville.
Attached Thumbnails
Good Books on Nashville?-9780738568614.jpg   Good Books on Nashville?-9780738568270.jpg  

Old 07-27-2009, 02:57 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
Fortunes, Fiddles and Fried Chicken : A Business History of Nashville
by Bill Carey

Fast and interesting read about all the "major" families in the area.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:00 PM

282 posts, read 806,828 times
Thank you all for the info, very much appreciated.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:32 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,960 times
Okay, re-reading your original post you wanted something current. You'll probably have to concentrate on online research as there is quite a bit of change going on throughpout middle TN, but especially downtown and the neighborhoods near the inner core and that wouldn't be reflected in many printed books. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
Here are some from the "Images of America" series -

East Nashville - Arcadia Publishing

"Book Description:
During the 19th century, Nashville’s families of means built large estates in bucolic East Nashville, away from the noise and pollution of the city. The village of Edgefield became Nashville’s most exclusive suburb, with rows of commanding Italianate, Renaissance Revival, and Queen Anne townhomes lining Woodland, Russell, and Fatherland Streets. Streetcar suburbs formed in the Lockeland and East End areas as farmland and country estates were sold off and subdivided. Included in this exquisite collection of images––most of which are from state and local archives and private collections––are rare views of local landmarks that are now only memories. View the magnificent estates, historic churches and schools, and mom-and-pop businesses that once thrived in these communities. Experience the tranquility of Shelby Park––a relaxing boat ride on Lake Sevier or a picnic in the Sycamore Lodge. Also explored in East Nashville are the trials the area has endured over the years, from the Great Fire of 1916 and the Tornado of 1933 to the vast changes brought on by urban renewal. This collection is a tribute to the people who have helped make East Nashville what it is today."

Nashville’s Inglewood - Arcadia Publishing

"Book Description:
Settled north of Nashville in 1782, Inglewood began as a farming community on the Cumberland River. Early prominent citizens built many grand homes in the area, including Weakley and Riverwood, which are still standing today. A new community called “Inglewood Place” began in 1908 and churches, schools, and businesses soon followed. Nearly 700 homes were built prior to 1940, but Inglewood saw its heyday following World War II as Nashville’s first modern suburb. Inglewood’s Isaac Litton High School was known throughout Middle Tennessee for its academic excellence, championship sports, and its renowned band, “The Marching 100.” Today people are moving back to Inglewood because of its history and beauty still reflected in the majestic Cumberland River, the numerous natural springs, and varied architecture."

***They also have books on other areas in Nashville and the surrounding communities and glimpses of the past like Nashville baseball and the history of beer brewing in Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville