U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:15 AM

161 posts, read 453,681 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the area and would like opinions on where we should look. We have visited Nashville once, and fell in love with the area and the people. The people there are so wonderfully kind and polite. So much different then the northeast.

Our main concern is safety and security for the family, as well as having great schools for our small children (will be starting kindergarten). This will be a permanent move for us. So we're looking for a long term permanent dream home to raise our family. We wouldn't mind living in a secured gated community. A real one. Not one that just has a gate, and is left open at all times of the day. We also want to have a basement home, to shelter from tornados.

I've heard a little about Westhaven, but it seems like they have a premium on every house just to live there. Might be worth it. We just don't know. From everything I've read, we would probably like to be somewhere near the cool springs area. Nothing farther south than Franklin.

We would love to receive feedback and opinions from the locals there on where we should start. Please share experiences and opinions on the areas that we are interested in. Thank you so much to all, in advance of your reply. We are looking forward to moving there and can't wait.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 08:30 AM

282 posts, read 735,286 times
From my understanding, Brentwood and Franklin are about the "nicest" places around for the most part. As long as your budget can afford home prices there, it seems as though either would be an excellent choice.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 AM

427 posts, read 1,192,993 times
What's your price range for housing?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:01 AM

To tell you the truth, we don't really have a price range. This will be our dream home and we have seen so much more value in the homes located there, in comparison to what we are used to up north. We are well aware of the price ranges in the areas that we are interested in, but if I would have to say a price range, I would probably say anything under or around a Mil.

The most important is that we find our dream home with the criterias listed in the original post. Beside what is listed, we we are looking for something with at least 5 bedrooms/4 Baths, with a basement and decent yard built within the last few years. Probably prefer an established neighborhood over a community that still has a lot of construction going on.

Last edited by fumanchu41; 07-25-2009 at 09:16 AM..

Old 07-25-2009, 09:23 AM

3,798 posts, read 7,418,707 times
Well, Westhaven is a neighborhood filled with dream homes. I know several folks there who've built their "dream homes" there. But you definitely pay a premium. I don't know anyone who doesn't love that area who lives there, though.

I live in Hendersonville, north of town in Sumner County. There are some great upscale neighborhoods up here too. Also a good number of country music stars up here, too. Plus we're right on Old Hickory Lake and have lots of parks, restaurants, and shopping.

So, Franklin/Brentwood isn't the only place to find upscale homes. But you will find a fair share down there.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:31 AM

808 posts, read 1,809,173 times
Personally, I much prefer the older and more established Belle Meade to what I consider the fairly generic sprawl of Brentwood and Franklin (outside of the historic downtown which is charming). People on this board have a slight tendency to shun all things Davidson County for some reason unknown to me. Perhaps because of the public schools which have the typical difficulties of any large city. I wouldn't know as I don't have children.

But this is your dream home. I'd suggest maybe spending some time renting a nice home in one of these areas and extensively exploring the other ones you're considering. It sounds like this may be a good options for you. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2009, 09:34 AM

1,177 posts, read 3,834,497 times
If price range is not an issue then I would suggest you look at the following gated communities in Williamson County: Governors Club, Laurelbrooke, Annandale, Windstone. Each of these have houses that will meet your criteria. Prices start at about 800k and go up. Westhaven is a very nice development but many people don't like the fact that most of the lots are fairly small. The websites for the gated communities above are:
www.thegovernorsclub.com
Welcome to LaurelBrooke a Southern Land Community
Welcome to Annandale
Windstone > Home

Each of these is in either Brentwood or Franklin and within about fifteen minutes from the Cool Springs area.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Personally, I much prefer the older and more established Belle Meade to what I consider the fairly generic sprawl of Brentwood and Franklin (outside of the historic downtown which is charming). People on this board have a slight tendency to shun all things Davidson County for some reason unknown to me. Perhaps because of the public schools which have the typical difficulties of any large city. I wouldn't know as I don't have children.

But this is your dream home. I'd suggest maybe spending some time renting a nice home in one of these areas and extensively exploring the other ones you're considering. It sounds like this may be a good options for you. Good luck!
We haven't ruled that out. Might be a good idea.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Well, Westhaven is a neighborhood filled with dream homes. I know several folks there who've built their "dream homes" there. But you definitely pay a premium. I don't know anyone who doesn't love that area who lives there, though.

I live in Hendersonville, north of town in Sumner County. There are some great upscale neighborhoods up here too. Also a good number of country music stars up here, too. Plus we're right on Old Hickory Lake and have lots of parks, restaurants, and shopping.

So, Franklin/Brentwood isn't the only place to find upscale homes. But you will find a fair share down there.
Don,
I haven't heard much about the Hendersonville area. Can you suggest some subdivisions we should look at there? Hopefully I can find them online. Not too crazy about living near a water source though, more bugs and critters.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:41 AM

2,334 posts, read 4,741,981 times
there is a premium on the lots in Westhaven because of the amentities. Very few subdivisions have the same level of amentites. The pools are amazing, there is a full-time activities director, a residents' club house with a gym, on-site childcare while you work out, teen room, movie theater, etc. Also finally the town center of Westhaven is starting to develop so you can walk/ride your bike to the new grocery store opening in October.

The elementary school is scheduled to open next August.

Westhaven is one of the few developments still fairly strong in Williamson despite the downturn. It isn't growing like 2005 but it is still growing.

The lots are small, but not all of the lots are small. The next area to be opened up by Southern Land is the extension of Championship Blvd. Those lots are big and I think are driveway entry, not alley homes. They will be more "traditional suburb" and rumor has it will start in the 700s.

One nice thing about Westhaven is there are a variety of price points. It is still pricey for the area, but the houses, condos, townhomes range from 200k-2M no other subdivision has that type of variety. A lot of subdivisions turned me off because all the houses were between 500-525k. Too much of the same for my liking.

We looked in Green Hills, West End, Belle Meade and Franklin when we relocated. We came from a city and sidewalks and being able to walk places was/is very important to me. GH scared me. Even on side streets cars were speeding and there were no side walks. I fell in love with a house off West End but it had foundation issues so we walked away. What we could afford in Belle Meade was too small or considered a teardown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville