Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 21,645 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am getting a transfer in my job to Nashville from Memphis sometime before the 2010 school year. After looking at several surrounding areas, my wife and I have decided we like Hendersonville for several reasons. However, something that can't be determined by physically visiting a place is how well the school system is equipped to educate children with autism.
My son, who is diagnosed as being high-functioning on the spectrum, will be in kindergarten at that time. Do they have any ASD-specific programs there? Do they try to reach a goal of inclusion for the child or do they tend to just stick the child in special ed classes? If anyone reading this has a child on the spectrum currently in the Hendersonville school system and can paint a picture of their experiences there I would appreciate it greatly.
I know Williamson County supposedly has a good autism program within their schools, but if Hendersonville is as good or almost as good, that is where we want to be.
Also, if someone wants to add general likes/dislikes of Hendersonville, please feel free to share them with me. I'm on info gathering mode so anything you can provide me has value at this point.

Thanks in advance,
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 07:50 PM

27 posts, read 101,533 times
If you don't mind driving to Nashville, there is Nashville Christian School, which is supposed to be very accommodating. They have an inclusive type program in their preschool for children who are on the spectrum or adhd. I would guess that many of those children go on to attend the elementary and upper grades in the school. In the elementary grades and beyond they have what is called the L.I.F.E. program. It inclusive in nature but they will pull the kids out for language arts and/or math, and work with them in a small class setting. They will also administer tests differently, if needed.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:20 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,795 times
Hendersonville does a good job of integrating children with special needs into regular classrooms. They do have special education teachers, but by and large autistic children (especially highly-functioning autistic children) are placed in regular classes. They're given special coursework that compliments what the other students are being taught, from what I understand. I think this is really formatted with the parents, the teacher, and special ed teachers. Special ed teachers are there to provide support when needed.

I would call the school board and see what they say, or if you know what part of town you're wanting to move to, you might call the school itself and try to schedule a meeting with the principal to see what their take is. Sumner County Schools - Home is the county's school board website. My wife is a teacher in middle school and she seems to think they have a good program in the county.

Hendersonville is a great place to live. I'll send you a message to let you know specifics, but everything you want is right there...shopping, recreation, safe neighborhoods, great schools. And the commute to Nashville is pretty reasonable.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:35 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,861 times
I would second the recommendation of calling a school or e-mailing a principal.

Hendersonville is a great area and I think you will be happy here. The city has a beautiful setting along Old Hickory Lake and has a great city park system. The city also plans a lot of family-friendly activities throughout the year. There's a great sense of community here.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:49 AM

5 posts, read 21,645 times
Thanks so much for your input. We are really excited about the area, but obviously we wanted to make sure our sons needs are met. Sadly, it seems some areas are just not prepared or do not really know how to handle children with autism. We can't wait to get there. The city seems like a close-knit community.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 7,970 times
Default Sumner county schools

No, they do not have the programs. My son is high functioning also and they have kicked him out. I have been homeschooling him for almost 2 yrs. They will try to stick him in a TIPS program which is for behavioral problem children.. Do not let them lie to you. These programs are NOT for autisim. These teachers are not properly trained not do they care... They are allowed to physically restrain your child and put them in padded rooms... These are the things they will NOT tell you. I have more specific deatails if you would like to email me. [EMAIL="erobison76@hotmail.com"]erobison76@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]

Good Luck!!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:04 AM

70 posts, read 314,152 times
I grew up in Hendersonville, TN. George A. Whitten Elementary might have what you need, tutt55.

When I was a child, that school was called Wessington Place Elementary, they changed the name to reflect what Mr. Whitten did as a principal, an educator, and one who was very much for the intellectually disabled students of the area.

Here is the web site...

George Whitten Elementary School - Home (http://gwe.sumnerschools.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 - broken link)

I am new to this site, and I am sorry for not having known of your situation sooner and all. Hopefully you will get this message.

Here is the basic contact information for their principal...

Adam Cripps Principal adam.cripps@sumnerschools.org

Old 07-17-2013, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,560 times
I know this thread originated several years ago, but I would love to hear how your move went and your thought on Sumner county schools today. I am very interested in the area and have a child with PDDNOS entering 1st grade.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville