Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 AM

20 posts, read 68,004 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are moving to Nashville in one month from New Jersey.
WE need some advice.
We are 3 men, I have a car, the other 2 need to be able to walk and/or take public transportation to work.
We have been directed by an apartment search company to the town of Antioch.
Is this a safe area?
Is it walkable?
They are used to walking 2 miles, without it bothering them.
Is it safe to walk, will they be asked to buy drugs, or be mugged?
We now live in a very hispanic populated town. The population is around 18,000 and more than 15,000 are Hispanic.
So, for the people that think that because an area/town is Hispanic does not bother me. They are not dangerous, just another nationality.
There are towns here in N.J. that you DO NOT EVER WALK DOWN SOME STREETS. ITS NOT "IF" OR "MAYBE" YOU WILL BE ROBBED, RAPED, OR MURDERED, OR SHOT.
I do not know what the population of hispanics, white, black, Indian are in that area, It is just what I have heard.
We are also thinking of Murfreesboro and Franklin.
Or closer to downtown, (since I will be working there) but need public transportation also.
Please help, any advice will help.
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 AM

957 posts, read 3,693,845 times
Depends on where in Antioch, but it's safe to say that any area rich with apartment complexes or rentals will not the best area. Even if it were safe, it's still not walkable. Chances of finding a job within 2 miles of home are very slim unless you're living downtown. Even then, you could be working anywhere. Nashville is a big place. They will have a hard time here without a car, scooter...some type of transportation. There is a bus system, but it's nothing like the system in NJ or most other large metro areas.

If you work downtown then living there is the best option, albeit not they cheapest option. My guess would be that cost is a concern and that's why they steered you toward Antioch. Cheaper rents, but you get what you pay for.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:44 AM

48 posts, read 160,207 times
Anitoch is really not walkable in that it's just not set up with infastructure for walking around. There are large intersections that really don't have a lot of pedestrians crossing at them, it's hilly, fairly spread out etc.. It's more suburban sprawl. They do have a bus service. With regards to downtown, East nashville can provide walkable neighborhoods with extensive bus service. Parts are more appealing than others but there is at least a growing number of folks in and around the neighborhood who are used to functioning without a car and businesses and streets have adapted with bike lanes and sidewalks. Sylvan heights may also offer some affordable rental price points with some walkable infastructure and bus service. Best of luck, I'm not telling you Antioch is a horrible place but when I think of walkable communities, that definitely would not make my list.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the info. We are also considering Franklin, Tn. If we were to live in Antioch, it would be around Bell Road, in one of the apt complexes for now, which is close to the restaurants and mall I hear.
We could live in East Nashville, but I was told there is very limited bus service, and almost none after 10 p.m. ??
One of them works for a major retail chain, and must be able to get to work, at any hour.
What about safety, crime, ect ect.??

Old 08-13-2009, 12:53 PM

957 posts, read 3,693,845 times
The area around the mall is probably the worse. Are they thinking of getting a job at the mall? That mall is about dead. Public transportation is not going to cut it. You just won't be able to rely on it for daily transportation. The bus service in the entire metro area is only really active duing normal working hours. There is limited service after hours.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:31 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,016,539 times
You need a car in Nashville, period. Even if you live downtown. This isn't Chicago, New York, or Washington, D.C. Once you get that taken care of, start looking for apartments in areas like Hermitage, Donelson, and Bellevue, which are nearly as affordable as Hickory Hollow but much safer. Bell Road near the mall is one of the worst possible places to live.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the info. We are now thinking about moving to Franklin. I hear it is a nice town, and a safe town.
Any advice would help.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville