Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,190 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to Nashville and trying to figure out which neighborhood to live in. My realtor showed me some homes in East Nashville but I want to see other areas before I make a decision. She mentioned Crieve Hall but we have not had a chance to visit yet. I was doing some research and it seems like that area (37211 zip code) is much less expensive than other places in Nashville. Is it safe? I found a home on a street called Elaine (like the woman from Seinfeld haha) that is priced in my budget (under 160), is that an okay street? I am a little intimidated by how large the area is and wonder if there are good and bad parts within it. Are there other areas I should consider? Ideally I would like to be within 20-25 minutes (or less) from Hilsboro Village. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 PM

625 posts, read 4,569,989 times
A single friend-girl of mine lives on Elaine St...she hasn't had any problems-but does own two pitbulls so maybe that helps? The 37211 area code is partly in Antioch-so that's why you see prices lower. Crieve Hall is a nice area-I looked at houses over there but when I was looking prices were higher and I didn't like the tiny rooms/closets that most of the 60s ranch houses I found in CH had. For less than $160k though I think that's a good deal. CH is very centrally located. The closer you are to I65 the better generally, once you start getting over towards Edmonson/Nolensville Rd it gets sketchier. I would pick the Elaine St area of CH ANYDAY over East Nashville though-WAY less sketchy than EN.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
A single friend-girl of mine lives on Elaine St...she hasn't had any problems-but does own two pitbulls so maybe that helps? The 37211 area code is partly in Antioch-so that's why you see prices lower. Crieve Hall is a nice area-I looked at houses over there but when I was looking prices were higher and I didn't like the tiny rooms/closets that most of the 60s ranch houses I found in CH had. For less than $160k though I think that's a good deal. CH is very centrally located. The closer you are to I65 the better generally, once you start getting over towards Edmonson/Nolensville Rd it gets sketchier. I would pick the Elaine St area of CH ANYDAY over East Nashville though-WAY less sketchy than EN.
Moderator cut: cut Nothing against anyone that lives in the 37211, but I have a friend who bought a house there (not Crieve Hall) 2 years ago but can't move because her house is worth $30,000 less than what she paid for it. Check out the property assessors appraisals that just came out for zip 37206 (or for that matter, 37216 - Inglewood). scottv may not want to live over here (were VERY OK with that), but looks like many other people do.

WebPro (http://www.padctn.com/webpro.htm - broken link)

Oh yeah, the only areas that saw large increases in property value in Middle Tennessee in the new appraisals? East Nashville and Clarksville (according to the news report Fort Cambell helps shield them from the recession).

Nashville - Nashville Scene - Pith in the Wind - East Nashville Eludes Housing Slump--Take That, Belle Meade!

Last edited by mbmouse; 08-19-2009 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: insults not nessesary and yea she did mention east

Old 08-18-2009, 06:59 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned.

And I guess as long as I'm not a 72 year old woman, I'll be safe in East Nashville, right?

From today's Channel 4 website:

East Nashville Woman Beaten, Robbed
Victim Has Medication, Purse Stolen
Reported by Sara Dorsey

POSTED: 2:59 pm CDT August 18, 2009
UPDATED: 7:04 pm CDT August 18, 2009
Moderator cut: cut
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A woman who has lived in east Nashville for nearly 40 years said she is afraid to stay by herself after two men barged into her house and robbed her last Thursday.

Moderator cut: cut

Betty Jean Kelly, 72, said she knows most of her neighbors in her Shelby Bottoms neighborhood. What she doesn't know is why anyone would choose to rob her.

Kelly has arthritis, breathing troubles and needs a walker to get around.

Moderator cut: copy write issues, please proved link to article instead

Last edited by mbmouse; 08-19-2009 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: copy write

Old 08-18-2009, 07:02 PM

13 posts, read 49,011 times
Hi Stillnew.... I've been looking in the CH area for a while too...here's what I can tell you... CH is made up of 37211 and 37220 (if you are cking things out on realtracs..select area 1, and put in both zips, plus cr,nor in the elem school line). A lot of homes on realtracs will list themselves as "crieve hall" in the subdivision line, but many seem to be on the outskirts of CH. I definitly wouldn't consider Elaine in CH, or anything on the north side of Harding. To me CH seems to be defined by a square with Blackman at top, Regent Dr on the left (west side), Darlington on the right (east side) and the bottem being all the way down to Baxter. I don't think I've seen anything in the $160k range, but one might pop up that needs refurbishing. I agree w/scottv, in avoiding too close to edmonson.
you can also look on metro nashville police website to see an up to date map w/crime reports for all areas.
I don't know east nashville except for visiting -- there are charming parts, but I'm not sure of the crime issues. Hopefully your agent can direct you well in that area. good luck with your house hunting!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:52 PM

No feel good stories from where I live-sorry, crime in my neighborhood is SUPER LOW. Probably has something to do with the low number of parolees/thugs living around here-no projects/crackhouses within walking distance of where I live. I prefer my no-news neighborhood, rather than feel good news from EN saying that only 8 people were robbed this week vs. 10 a year ago-YEAH!!!

Look, the OP can check out both areas and the Nashville Police crime maps and decide which he/she likes better - the parolee mapping is a particularly telling data point. Hey, if you love parolees, then EN is your place!

Old 08-19-2009, 03:17 AM

162 posts, read 550,592 times
If a townhome might work, you might find some new options attractive. Tulip Cove in Hermitage has a neighborhood feel, some units even back up to open woods. Spence Enclave is convenient to downtown areas and Hillsboro Village. The nightlife doesn't touch East Nashville, but pretty short commutes/cab rides away.

Email Public Reports

Old 08-19-2009, 07:45 AM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
No feel good stories from where I live-sorry, crime in my neighborhood is SUPER LOW. Probably has something to do with the low number of parolees/thugs living around here-no projects/crackhouses within walking distance of where I live. I prefer my no-news neighborhood, rather than feel good news from EN saying that only 8 people were robbed this week vs. 10 a year ago-YEAH!!!

Look, the OP can check out both areas and the Nashville Police crime maps and decide which he/she likes better - the parolee mapping is a particularly telling data point. Hey, if you love parolees, then EN is your place!
Okay, didn't read the post correctly. All I'm saying is there's more to choosing real estate than crime maps (if that is your only criteria, I recommend Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, or Franklin). Do you want to be able to walk/ride your bike to local nightlife, restaurants, parks, prefer non-chain stores, or like to have a 5$ cab trip to downtown, then you might want to consider East Nashville. It's the most walkable community besides Hillsboro Village in Nashville. This isn't everyone's priority I get that. Does crime happen here, sure it does, should that cripple your all out fear of living here despite the pro's I mentioned? People are choosing the pro's more and more everyday. That's why the area homes are appreciating so rapidly, even in today's market. East Nashville is just like 37211 in that it has good neighborhoods and sketchy ones. I also couldn't mention one neighborhood that isn't getting better in East Nashville. It's hilarious when posters try to make East Nashville to be like the East Bronx in the late 70's. 20,000 people (including women and children) recently braved the "gritty thug ravaged " streets of East Nashville for the Sixth Annual Tomato Art Fest this year. It's more than doubled in size each year -

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...omato+festival

Also, If you wanted me to post every news story of a recent home invasion in 37211 it would take pages and pages on this forum. East Nashville is just smaller and bordered by the Cumberland, I-24 and Briley Prkwy so everyone else tends to generalize the entire area into one big group. The same smaller vicinity in conjunction with neighborhood community groups, crime watches (including an online one that is unlike anything I've ever seen, kudos to Bob Acuff) and Commander Nash is why the East Precinct has been so successful. Chances are if your not selling drugs or best friend isn't an ex-felon, your not going to be a victim of a crime. A grandmother was robbed and killed in a home invasion in Goodlettsville last week, it happens everywhere unfortunately. It's an easy target for uncaring thugs living anywhere. Anyway, good luck to the OP on wherever you decide to live.

Oh and I'm not slamming Crieve Hall (I'm sure it's a great neighborhood), just pointing out that just about every "good" neighborhood in Davidson County and most surrounding counties have what someone would consider sketchy streets and neighborhoods nearby.

Last edited by mbmouse; 08-19-2009 at 11:43 AM..

Old 08-19-2009, 09:14 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpellatiro View Post
If a townhome might work, you might find some new options attractive. Tulip Cove in Hermitage has a neighborhood feel, some units even back up to open woods. Spence Enclave is convenient to downtown areas and Hillsboro Village. The nightlife doesn't touch East Nashville, but pretty short commutes/cab rides away.

Email Public Reports
Spence Enclave gave me a terrible vibe the one time I drove through at night. Tulip Cove is nice and it is probably right about 20-25 minutes from Hillsboro Village. Even those two houses in the Neely's Bend section of Madison that showed up on that list are viable options. That is the ONLY area in Madison I would ever recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville