Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:39 AM

317 posts, read 1,231,017 times

Advertisements

I didn't see Jim N Nick's mentioned here for BBQ. There's only 2 - one in Bellevue and one in Smyrna. I like it, but I haven't been to all of the rest of the ones mentioned to know if it is comparable to others mentioned.

For mexican, I wouldn't assume that the food is authentic if there are mexicans running it or working there. I haven't been to the place on Nolensville yet. Will definitely check it out.

I just got back from Mexico. I worked very hard to find the places away from resorts and Americanized areas to eat where the locals do...and tried a different mexican restaurant there every day. (Mexican is my favorite, but I was quite sick of mexican food at the end of the 9 days). I began to think that we don't have authentic mexican food here. I haven't been to every mexican restaurant in town, so I wouldn't dare say it doesn't exist. But my suspicion is that there is some Americanized mexican formula that a lot of the restaurants use. Totally my opinion though. Maybe the one on Nolensville is real, so I can't wait to try it out. As for tex mex restaurants - Texans tell me SATC is not true Tex mex, but that the one in the gulch, Cantino Laredo, truly is official tex-mex. What I had in Mexico was not like TexMex either though.

Totally not claiming to be an expert after 1 week in the country, but I had just never had anything like it. I really enjoyed it and would love to find something similar here in the states. Maybe I just haven't been to the right places yet. In the meantime, I have no problem continuing to enjoy our Americanized version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 10:59 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
I started to mention Jim n' Nick's. It's a chain, but the BBQ isn't too bad, and the one near Bellevue is more of a regular restaurant than many BBQ places are.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:41 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,632 times
The reason to got o Jim n Nicks is because it is more of a restaurant than the other BBQ joints in Nashville. I would consider Whitt's and Bar B Cutie of the fast food varierty. Martin's and Jack's are both real good, but also not restaurants. Famous Daves is the only other restaurant style BBQ place that I can think of, but it is national chain. Jim n Nick's has a nice atmosphere if you're looking for a sit-down BBQ restaurant.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:28 PM

162 posts, read 604,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denawilliams View Post
For mexican, I wouldn't assume that the food is authentic if there are mexicans running it or working there. I haven't been to the place on Nolensville yet. Will definitely check it out... Totally not claiming to be an expert after 1 week in the country, but I had just never had anything like it. I really enjoyed it and would love to find something similar here in the states. Maybe I just haven't been to the right places yet. In the meantime, I have no problem continuing to enjoy our Americanized version.
I agree Dena... I have had Authentic Mexican as well and have yet to find anything Authentic in Nashville (not saying that many of the place's I've gone hasn't been good).

As a recommendation, Cozymel's in Cool Springs was pretty good food...

Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
I'm originally from Mmephis and haven't found anything in Nashville that is as good as real Memphis BBQ. But Jim & Nick's is good, and I like Strouds, at least the one in Brentwood.

Mexican- El-Palenque in Green Hills is good. And we like Mazatlan in Brentwood. Avoid Los Palmas in Brentwood and on Nolensville Rd. They are both awful.
The food at SATCO is not that great to me, but it's fun with a bucket of beers on the patio, esp. on the weekends when they have music.

Our fav. pizza is Guido's in Cool Springs. We ate there for lunch today and bought home a second pizza for dinner tonight. It's fabulous! Joey's is overrated to us.

Have a fun visit!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:40 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,594 times
We've been looking forward to trying Guido's next time we're in the mood for pizza. Is their brewery up and operating yet? We were very happy to see a microbrewery opening in Franklin. (Hopefully it won't be all ales like Bosco's is...yuck).

Tonight we finally went to Germantown Cafe. It didn't live up to the recommendations we'd heard but it wasn't horrible. Nothing special on the menu and the wait staff was....hmmmm...let's say "uninspired". But the martini was great!

Old 09-13-2009, 07:35 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
Much can be forgiven with a great martini

Old 09-13-2009, 01:32 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
La Hacienda on Nolensville Rd. has some great Lengua...if that means anything to anyone. Oh, and they don't serve ground beef...

La Hacienda - Authentic Mexican Restaurant in Nashville Tennessee

I know there are many La Hacienda restaurants around the area, but this is the one that started out as a small Mexican grocery w/ just a grill in the corner and a few bar stools and, IMO, the food has remained unchanged since I started going there in the early 90s.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:05 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
If you're in the Green Hills area you might try La Paz. It's not quite a hole-in-the-wall place, but I've heard it's pretty good. I've never eaten there so I can't say what it's like.
Its Good, but more pricy. I did like it though.
I really like Catina Larido in the gulch, pricy for mexican, but excellent!
http://www.cantinalaredo.com/menu.php (broken link)

Diane G

Last edited by Diane Giam; 09-13-2009 at 03:15 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 07:23 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
There's also Las Paletas. Mexican popsicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville