Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 05:53 AM

160 posts, read 502,634 times

Advertisements

I'm transferring to Nashville this summer and will be working in Antioch, near the lake on Hobson Pike. I have a couple kids already in elementary school and want to know the best schools for the distance. Price is not really an issue (I've found homes I like in my price range for each of the area districts) but drive time is. I assume the normal rush hour pattern is south to north in this part of the city? How about east to west?
I'm leaning toward Nolansville in Williamson County but some have said the drive might be a little long (I'll probably be driving back and forth b/w home and work several times a day) while others have said it's worth it.
The magnet schools in Davidson look amazing but I'm assuming that this late in the game my kids wouldn't stand a chance getting in for the 2007-08 school year. Is that right? Any experiences?
Also, according to Tenneesse's Board of Ed report card, Ravenwood High had 0 suspensions or expulsions while Antioch had 862 suspensions and 52 expulsions and Smyrna had 141 suspensions and 15 expulsions. Am I crazy not to move to the Ravenwood district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 04:18 PM

55 posts, read 128,954 times
I have not moved to TN yet but read all the posts on the forum and all say the same Antioch is a high crime area not a place to move to with small children so don't move to close to there if you read more in the forum questions answear by themselfs here some info about county reportcards
go to www.t-naap.org/developmental/dev_referral.asp (broken link) and look under school systhems hope that helps you out

Old 08-23-2007, 07:36 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
The magnet school sign-up and lottery basically ends in late December or early January (I can't remember the exact date). You'd have to have your kids enrolled and signed up for whatever school they wanted to attend by then. It will slightly harder if they wanted to get into the arts magnet school.

If I were you, I'd look at Rutherford County first (Murfreesboro, Smryna, LaVergne), then to either the far eastern part of Williamson or the southern part of Wilson County. Some people live in what they call "Brentioch" . . . that magical, undefined place somewhere between Brentwood and Antioch. That would be another option.

Traffic to the south of Nashville is heavy going north in morning, and going south in the afternoon.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:42 PM

35 posts, read 224,719 times
Default Antioch

Antioch gets a bad rap in general, sometimes deservedly and sometimes not. The thing is, Antioch is such a large geographic area, probably the largest "neighborhood" in the Nashville area, certainly larger than Bellevue, Madison, Hermitage, Inglewood, etc. Because of the spread of the area, there is a large span of groups represented: economically, socially, educationally, racially, ethnically, etc. Some parts of Antioch are undergoing a transition, largely because of illegal aliens moving to the area and former public housing residents flocking to the area (enticed by Section 8 vouchers sometimes). There are other parts of Antioch (Cane Ridge, for example) that are decent, if not nice. But on the whole, considering that the 37013 zip code has become stigmatized, look elsewhere.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,216 times
Default From California moving to Nashville

Yes I'm one those who will be relocating to Nashville because of work. I'm looking in to moving to ANTIOCH because of the affordable homes. The reviews I've been reading re from 2007,can someone tell me if things are better now?

Old 06-22-2017, 09:30 AM

216 posts, read 163,096 times
There usually is a reason the homes in Antioch are "afforable". As stated previously, Antioch is a lrge area and parts are fine, but I wouldn't move there, I would look outside Davidson county, especially for schools.

Last edited by JMT; 06-22-2017 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Please leave politics out of this.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:35 AM

389 posts, read 916,291 times
We moved to Antioch from out-of-state 2 years ago. As some have shared in this older thread, there are good and bad parts (probably pretty true of many areas). We live in the area that is south of Old Hickory Blvd. and east of Nolensville Pike. We moved as empty nesters so the school district was not a huge concern. We liked the affordability of the homes in this area, the easy access to downtown Nashville and retail areas. We have had no problems whatsoever.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:39 AM

108 posts, read 143,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversed View Post
Yes I'm one those who will be relocating to Nashville because of work. I'm looking in to moving to ANTIOCH because of the affordable homes. The reviews I've been reading re from 2007,can someone tell me if things are better now?
They never really were bad to be honest. It's always been he fasted part of Davidaon a county. It did experience a retail slump but that has turned around and now the area is a relatively strong economic hub. IKEA is even moving there. There was a little phase I guess Nashvillians went through as Nashville started gentrifying to pick a new part of town to pick on. Seeing as how Antioch was far from urban or hip, and it's demographics were different than say, Bellevue, Antioch became the new target. It's still a lot safter than North Nashville or East Nashville today despite the decade and a half of gentrification these areas have been experiencing.

Last edited by JMT; 06-22-2017 at 05:51 PM..

Old 06-22-2017, 03:39 PM

37 posts, read 48,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbva View Post
I'm transferring to Nashville this summer and will be working in Antioch, near the lake on Hobson Pike. I have a couple kids already in elementary school and want to know the best schools for the distance. Price is not really an issue (I've found homes I like in my price range for each of the area districts) but drive time is. I assume the normal rush hour pattern is south to north in this part of the city? How about east to west?
I'm leaning toward Nolansville in Williamson County but some have said the drive might be a little long (I'll probably be driving back and forth b/w home and work several times a day) while others have said it's worth it.
The magnet schools in Davidson look amazing but I'm assuming that this late in the game my kids wouldn't stand a chance getting in for the 2007-08 school year. Is that right? Any experiences?
Also, according to Tenneesse's Board of Ed report card, Ravenwood High had 0 suspensions or expulsions while Antioch had 862 suspensions and 52 expulsions and Smyrna had 141 suspensions and 15 expulsions. Am I crazy not to move to the Ravenwood district?
If you can afford to live Brentwood, then by all means do so. Good schools, great homes, and awesome location to other places in nashville. I believe traffic should be fine for you since it practically the reverse of all of it.

Last edited by JMT; 06-22-2017 at 05:50 PM..

Old 06-25-2017, 09:53 AM

1,683 posts, read 810,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbva View Post
Stewarts Creek, a newer high school near Smyrna has very few conduct issues.

It might be too new for statistical data to be available yet though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville