Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 02:24 PM

5 posts, read 32,510 times

Advertisements

We moved here last year and I have yet to meet or chat online with other moms in the area. Where do all the newcomers go to meet people besides your child's school or church? My husband works from home so it's extra tough! Any other lonely parents out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 01:25 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,257 times
I'm not a mom...but my child is involved in gymnastics (they start at a surprisingly young age) and she's met several other gymnastics moms that way.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:04 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoms View Post
We moved here last year and I have yet to meet or chat online with other moms in the area. Where do all the newcomers go to meet people besides your child's school or church? My husband works from home so it's extra tough! Any other lonely parents out there?

How old is your child(ren)? Aside from volunteering in the schools or church, a good place to meet other parents is the Library when they put on events, usually several times a month. There are also some community organizations like Key to the City and Optimist Club that have a lot of parents as members.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:27 PM

40 posts, read 88,757 times
We just moved here to Hendersonville a few days ago from NH. So far everyone is pretty nice about saying hello, but the conversation doesn't really go beyond that. I hope I can find some friends. My boys start school tomorrow, so I imagine I'll meet some moms that way.
Oh, there are a couple of meet-ups in the area. One is called "Moms who need a coffee break". I'm looking forward to attending one of their meet-ups.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:48 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,438 times
When my kids were very young, I met other moms at activities like Gymboree and story time at the local library. As they grew older and began attending Mom's Day Out & preschool programs, I met a few more mom friends. These people were great to spend time with and I'm still close to a handful of them, but it was difficult for me to maintain friendships - adult and child - with those who lived across town or in another county due to logistics and scheduling issues. My friend sphere exploded when the kids started elementary school because I was now meeting other moms who lived in my immediate area. I'm an active volunteer at school and have met lots of new people through various school activities.

I'm a fairly shy person and very introverted so I really had to reach outside of my comfort zone to make new friends. The first time I invited a potential friend to meet for coffee or lunch was intimidating but it gets easier every time and somebody's got to make the first move!

Old 11-09-2009, 05:53 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,595 times
I just thought of one place that's a good place to meet people: The Wine Tastings at September's Restaurant. I haven't always had the best experiences there for dinner but the Wine tastings I have attended were wonderful.

dineseptembers.com is the website

You can sign up for their e-mail updates and find out when they happen.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,727,326 times
How old are your children? I belong to a MOPs (Mothers of Preschoolers) group in Franklin, but they have groups in both Hendersonville & Gallantin. They are Christian based, but not Bible studies. We have speakers who do fun things like fashion shows or budget ideas. The meetings are twice a month, and then there are events in between like playdates at the park, mom's night out, etc.
It's a fun way to meet people in a similar life stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville