Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:37 PM

940 posts, read 1,897,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Things I took for granted in the northeast aren't available in the public schools here. Williamson is supposedly the "best" school district in the state and yet they don't over foreign language instruction until 8th/9th grade. Our public school up north started in K. Same with music. They public schools don't over instrument lessons starting in 3/4th grade like they did in our old district. Most telling though, and easiest to compare, was the 4th graders were doing the same math my daughter did in 2nd grade.

Our urban school district that was considered one of the worst in the state was better than Williamson in terms of offerings, academic programs etc. The public high school sent at least 20 students every year to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford, etc. I don't see those schools listed when people list where they are going to college from the public schools (or even a lot of the private schools.)

The heavy emphasis on the "test" is also off-putting.
Post is off-putting. Some people never learn that the old and tired "things are so much better where I'm from" just doesn't cut it in the South so far as getting the attention obviously craved.

Look at Newsweek's top high schools: America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek

Well how 'bout that. Only a couple from the northeast in the top 40. The top 60 dominated by the south and west; 2 in Nashville in the top 60. THREE in Dallas/FW metro in the top 20 and NONE from Massachusetts in the top 140.

I don't admit being swayed so much by one news organization. Likewise I wouldn't think anyone swayed by a poster in kudo-seeking high gear taking bows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 08:15 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,017,061 times
Quote:
I think it is only right to let people know. We were told how wonderful the Williamson Schools were. We were told they were "world class". While they may be the "best" in Tennessee that isn't saying much. They don't hold a candle to other very affluent areas with similar demographics to Brentwood and Franklin. They don't have the resources/programs of the schools in places like the Newton and Wellesley Public Schools in Mass, the schools in Fairfield County, CT, Long Island, Shaker Heights, OH, etc.

Hume Fogg and MLK are probably just as good as some of the most famous magnet schools like Stuyvesant in NYC
There are tons of houses for sale in CT and MA. If things are so much better there, why don't you buy one and move in?

Old 06-15-2010, 08:14 PM

940 posts, read 1,897,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
There are tons of houses for sale in CT and MA. If things are so much better there, why don't you buy one and move in?
tsk tsk tsk --- People may be leaving for TN and TX but don't you know things are nevertheless better in Mass. because their thinking is so much higher level than ours down here? Because of the schools? I mean, they're way ahead of the rest of the country just like Obama is. In fact, they and their former governor Mitt Romney (R) initiated Obamacare early and it solved the insurance company problem:

Obamacare: the news from Massachusetts just keeps getting worse | Radio Vice Online

Since the insurance companies are a problem it's best just to make them want to abandon the state on their own, those nasty rogues -- good riddance.

Last edited by groovamos; 06-15-2010 at 08:28 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 07:20 AM

27 posts, read 77,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Hendersonville Schools are great. Best elementary schools are Indian Lake, Beech, Madison Creek, Nannie Berry, Station Camp, and Jack Anderson. There's also a great magnet school (K-12) at Merrol Hyde.

All the schools have up to date computers, nice facilities, related arts education, etc.

Of the cities you listed, Hendersonville is also the closest to the airport for commuting.
Thanks for your post! Do you know of any nice subdivisions in the Hendersonville area? We are coming down in October to look around and it would be nice to have an idea of where to start!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:21 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,836,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoTN View Post
Thanks for your post! Do you know of any nice subdivisions in the Hendersonville area? We are coming down in October to look around and it would be nice to have an idea of where to start!
What kind of price range are you looking for?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
What kind of price range are you looking for?
I would like to keep it to $300,000 and under!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 PM
CR9

14 posts, read 30,424 times
Quote:
Things I took for granted in the northeast aren't available in the public schools here. Williamson is supposedly the "best" school district in the state and yet they don't over foreign language instruction until 8th/9th grade. Our public school up north started in K. Same with music. They public schools don't over instrument lessons starting in 3/4th grade like they did in our old district. Most telling though, and easiest to compare, was the 4th graders were doing the same math my daughter did in 2nd grade.

Our urban school district that was considered one of the worst in the state was better than Williamson in terms of offerings, academic programs etc. The public high school sent at least 20 students every year to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford, etc. I don't see those schools listed when people list where they are going to college from the public schools (or even a lot of the private schools.)

The heavy emphasis on the "test" is also off-putting.
I graduated from a public school in Nashville and went on to start my own company where I now employee over 50 people. Out of those 50 people at least 25 are from the Northeast with a "better" high school education than me. I didn't graduate from MIT, but I beat my way through MTSU and soaked up enough information to become successful at life. This northern education argument gets so old. I was a top 5% income earner in the UNITED STATES last year and I'm on my way to topping it this year. Did I mention the fact that I went to public schools in the south my whole life. Let me also ad that my daughter graduated from Franklin High School with 30 college credit hours and scored a 36 on her ACT. That amounted to a full ride to Vanderbilt.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR9 View Post
I graduated from a public school in Nashville and went on to start my own company where I now employee over 50 people. Out of those 50 people at least 25 are from the Northeast with a "better" high school education than me. I didn't graduate from MIT, but I beat my way through MTSU and soaked up enough information to become successful at life. This northern education argument gets so old. I was a top 5% income earner in the UNITED STATES last year and I'm on my way to topping it this year. Did I mention the fact that I went to public schools in the south my whole life. Let me also ad that my daughter graduated from Franklin High School with 30 college credit hours and scored a 36 on her ACT. That amounted to a full ride to Vanderbilt.
That is awesome!! Good for your daughter and you as well!! All this talk about education and who is better really makes you think, it isn't just about what the schools teach but what the student puts into it as well. I live in a town (in the northeast) that isn't the best and all our students don't go to Ivy League schools but they still get through it with good grades and go on to good colleges. Its the job of the student to strive to be good and for the parents to be involved and on top of what is going on in the schools, no matter what state we live in. I want my children to go to good schools and they don't need to be Ivy League.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:27 PM
CR9

14 posts, read 30,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoTN View Post
That is awesome!! Good for your daughter and you as well!! All this talk about education and who is better really makes you think, it isn't just about what the schools teach but what the student puts into it as well. I live in a town (in the northeast) that isn't the best and all our students don't go to Ivy League schools but they still get through it with good grades and go on to good colleges. Its the job of the student to strive to be good and for the parents to be involved and on top of what is going on in the schools, no matter what state we live in. I want my children to go to good schools and they don't need to be Ivy League.
Right on! You hit the nail on the head about it being what the student puts into it. As far as grammar, spelling, foreign language, etc she is already a head of me by leaps and bounds. I have a hardheaded son on the other hand who decided to take the tough route. We treated them both equally, but her will to learn trumps his by a good margin and it shows. His passion right now happens to be a fraternity at a decent school, he maintains a 3.0 and were both happy. Its never an exact science but if you put in the work and your children put in the work, they will be successful people who contribute to society. I wasn't being narcissistic in my post I was just saying the Northern education argument holds very little water in terms of both academic success and success at life in general. You get what you put in no matter where you are!

Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 AM

I have a question about what the kids do during summers in TN. coming from NJ my children are used to hitting the beach every summer and have asked me what they will do since there are no beaches. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville