Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:39 PM

20 posts, read 91,160 times

Advertisements

Agreed with all. I think both area are lovely. I would personally choose Franklin over Hendersonville. Traffic is better by a hair, but I think the culture and shopping are a much better. Hendersonville, to me, feels a little like suburban sprawl - though access to the lake would be very nice.

You know, there are other areas that offer similarly sized homes and price points. West Meade comes to mind first. Oak Hill, Green Hills and Forest Hills also offer lovely homes but can be quite expensive- all of which are closer to town if that's something you want.

As for "connected" communities - some of the urban neighborhoods have highly active community associations. Sylvan Park, Lockeland Springs, Cherokee/Whitland, Germantown are all very active. A master-planned community might also be a nice fit if you are community oriented: Providence, Lenox Village, Spence Creek, Westhaven, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
I prefer Franklin also. My husband works by the airport and his commute from Brentwood is not bad at all. It is mostly against traffic- esp. when he gets to 440 & 24. I think the commute to work would be much worse from Hendersonville. Many of his co-workers live in Wilson County (Mt. Juliet) and they complain about the commute. It used to be that we were the only ones from his office that lived in Williamson County, but there has been a shift over the past 5 years and now most of them have moved to Williamson or South Davidson because the commute is so much easier.
Why not come stay in a hotel in each for a few days and try the commutes? See which one feels more like home to you.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:44 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,923 times
Default Franklin or Hendersonville

My husband and I narrowed down our choices to Franklin or Hendersonville and we are completely stuck! We aren't moving till January so we've got time to decide. We visited last October and loved both towns. We are thinking about visiting mid November to find an apartment. He'll be working from home with his current job. We want kids soon and I'll be a stay at home mom. We are in our mid 20s.

What are the pros and cons of each? Are the people different in the towns? Are the women stuck up in Franklin because it's a more expensive area? Which place would be better for buying a home in the long run? Which area has more things to do for children? Any info is appreciated. Thank you!!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:07 AM

5 posts, read 19,044 times
We had the same dilemma last spring and ultimately decided on Franklin. We couldn't be more pleased with our decision. The schools are the best around by far and the people we have met have been great. The downtown area in Franklin is a huge plus with a lot of fun things going on throughout the year and the farmers market is great too. The homes are a little more expensive, but for good reason in our opinion. We searched long and hard for our perfect town and we have no doubts we found it.

My wife is a stay at home mom. We have three kids, ages 1-4, and she never lacks anything to do in this area. She has not found the women to be more stuck up at all. There are certainly those that are I'm sure, but in general she has not run into this problem, however, my wife is very friendly and outgoing so this may have something to do with it.

What we have found is that in Franklin people live comfortably but it is not a "keeping up with the Jones'" type of place. The neighboring community is very much the opposite, just FYI. We feel safe here with our kids and everyone around us has kids. On our culd-a-sac of four homes we have 14 kids ranging from our youngest at 1 up to 17, but primarily in the 6-8 range. The families just send their kids down to the street and they play all afternoon, when the weather is nice. Or the play on someone's swing set in the back yard. We still watch the kids but we don't feel the need to be right by there side to keep them safe.

In the end Franklin offers the small town feel with all the modern amenities we were used to where we used to live. We know our kids are growing up in a safe environment, they will have a great education, the families tend to have similar family values and morals and we never run out of things to do or friends to hang out with.

Franklin Pros:

Best Schools
More community activities
Franklin Cons:
more expensive homes
slightly higher property taxes

Unfortunately, I can't speak to the pros/cons of Hendersonville as we never actually lived there, but I am sure someone can.

Edit: I see you're from LA some of our good friends down the road moved here from that area about 2 years ago. They have no kids, but have fallen in love with this area.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,832 times
I spent most of my childhood in Hendersonville; so I know how it "feels" and how it has changed. Whenever asked to compare Williamson to Sumner, I usually describe Sumner (Hendersonville especially) as "earthier". That means there is more of a cross section of income levels and house prices in Hendersonville than Franklin. Franklin is much older, and has a recognizable town center. Hendersonville, on the other hand, was incorporated in 1968 and does not have an identifiable town center. It's existed most of the past 40 years as a "bedroom community" to Nashville. Until recently, Hendersonville's tax base was much smaller than Franklin's (and still is), but the emergence of the Indian Lake, Glenbrook and other large shopping centers has narrowed that gap.

Despite its being an older town and much more established than Hendersonville, Franklin feels more like it's part of Nashville (they're both about the same distance, and I'd even say Hendersonville is slightly easier to get to downtown Nashville). This is ironic to me because H'ville started as a "bedroom community". Still, I think the respective towns reflect their so-called Nashville roots. What I mean by that is that each one still reflects the demographics of the part of Davidson County (Nashville) from which people moved to those areas 40-50 years ago. East Nashville (closest to H'ville) is more working class... and lots of families who had started successful businesses moved "out" to Sumner in the 1950s/60s. Also, at the same time, H'ville saw thousands of families from the Midwest and Northeast when executives moved there with companies such as Dupont, General Electric, Oscar Meyer, Peterbilt, and their many suppliers. So Hendersonville has a range of housing options as well... you'll find multi-million dollar properties as well as 150K-200K attractive homes in nice neighborhoods with good schools.

I think it's pretty widely agreed that Franklin offers better shopping, and it has a larger white-collar professional presence in the new office developments that have sprung up in the past 10 years. Hendersonville is just now starting to get such development.

An explanation of the Franklin/Brentwood "axis". I'd say that Brentwood is the more exclusive sibling of the two. As Hendersonville reflects its East Nashville roots, Brentwood definitely reflects the more affluent roots of southwest Davidson County. Franklin is certainly nice, but it has a wider range of housing and businesses than Brentwood. Like all towns with a healthy economy, all three have their "wannabes". Ultimately, it will come down to where you "fit in". As you've no doubt discovered, Franklin and Hendersonville both have a lot to offer, although in very different packages.

I know you didn't ask specifically about Brentwood, but I thought it might be useful to dispel the belief among some that Franklin is too exclusive. Despite their similarities, there really is a difference and I offer up two iconic examples of their residents, two people near & dear to me. And a third in Hendersonville.

I have a sister in Brentwood (a stay-at-home mom, 2.3 kids, j/k, actually 3 kids LOL, 8,000 sq.ft. house, Range Rover, private schools, country club, etc.)... my sister in Franklin, whose family makes about the same income (but probably more disposible income b/c of lower expenses... with 1 kid, parochial school, Toyota Avalon, 3500 sq.ft. spec house in McKays Mill, neighborhood pool/tennis club, etc.). Both would say they love their respective neighborhoods. Thirdly, I have a sister in Hendersonville whose lifestyle is very much like that of my sister in Franklin. She is a stay-at-home mom (4 kids) with a large house on the lake. She spends lots of time at the kids' public school. On weekends during spring/summer/fall, the family pretty much lives outside on the lake.

I think all three women are appropriate reflections of their respective towns, but I think the halo effect of Brentwood and southwest Nashville extends over Franklin, which could make people think that Franklin is "stuck up". Like all towns with a healthy economy, all three (Brentwood, Franklin, Hendersonville) have their "wannabes". Ultimately, it will come down to where you "fit in". As you've no doubt discovered, Franklin and Hendersonville both have a lot to offer, although in very different packages.

Last edited by shinestx; 03-11-2010 at 07:30 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 07:01 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Franklin is no doubt better for resale. I lived there for 11 years and live in Brentwood now, which I guess is the "neighboring community" Nilknarf is referring to. As for what the people are like, they can't be categorized because you'll find all kinds in both communities and there are so many transplants moving to Williamson County that it seems like almost everyone is new. I have met "stuck-up women" everywhere, but it's not a way of life or anything here. I have a friend who grew up in Brentwood, raised her kids in Hendersonville and recently moved to Nashville when her youngest graduated. She had plenty of encounters with the "Muffia" at her Hendersonville schools. I can attest that they do exist in Franklin as well. I can honestly say that I don't think there's a maliciousness to it. It's just a kind of cluelessness that is reminiscent of the sorority way of life, when you are so excited to see your friend that you don't realize you're blocking the school hallway while you talk. You will come across the mom who is in a huge hurry and parks her Yukon in the fire lane because she has to run in "real quick" to drop something off. But there are also old-timers who are just trying to make their way around an area that has grown tremendously in the past two decades. Franklin is an affluent community, but it's a friendly, welcoming community. Unless you're just a total jerk to people, you should make out fine.
Overall, I think the people who move to either community want the same basic things: safety, community pride and activities, good schools, access to retail and recreational amenities. So the other stuff is just a by-product. If you can tolerate others the way you'd expect them to tolerate you, it'll work. Since y'all don't have kids yet, you might try to rent somewhere in between and experience both areas before settling on one.
And for the record, not everyone on Brentwood has an 8,000-square-foot house or Range Rover. We sold our big house and bought a 30-year-old ranch house with 2,500 sq feet because it had a 1-acre yard and is within biking distance to schools and parks. ShinesTX's illustration of the three "types" is spot on, but those types are not the only types present in each area. You just have to experience each area yourself and find your niche.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 03-11-2010 at 07:37 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 07:31 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,506 times
I live in Hendersonville and chose it for, probably, most of the same reasons people choose Franklin.
The schools are great. While Williamson can claim the best school system in the state, the Hendersonville schools rank very favorably and I've had nothing but good experience. There's also a good system of private schools.

One of the things I prefer in Hendersonville to Franklin is the layout of the city. It's very easy to get around and there is so much less traffic in Hendersonville than Franklin. There isn't a huge shopping district like Cool Springs or expansive office parks with commuter traffic. Personally, I like this about Hendersonville. I also like that the interstate does not run through Hendersonville.

Another thing I prefer in Hendersonville are the parks and public lake access. The lake is the heart and soul of Hendersonville and everything revolves around it. Most city festivals and events take place along its banks and in winter you can watch a Christmas Parade of decorated boats.

I also think Hendersonville has more of a small town feel than Franklin. Which, for me, is a good thing. It's also very welcoming. Hendersonville has seen, on average, about 1,000 new residents each year. They come from all over the country. Everyone remembers what it's like to be the new kid in town.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Wow...some great insights here so far. That's why I love this forum.

I'm a Hendersonville guy and have lived most of my life in and around that area. I think shine's comparison of the two cities is very good. Hville was more of a "suburb" where Franklin was more of its own city. That has changed recently and shine's right...you'll probably find more people who work in Nashville that live in Franklin than Hendersonville now.

The main difference to me is perceived reputation. Franklin has a better reputation for a couple of reasons but mainly because of history. It is a unique town and has created a very cool community feel (the square, etc). A major Civil War battle was fought there. The place oozes history. Hendersonville, on the other hand, lacks that sense of history. There is no square, only a main drag (Gallatin Rd) and shopping centers that serve as community focal points. There's also a bit of weight that comes with telling people you live in Franklin. It's hard to explain, but to me it's like saying "I live in a distinct community from Nashville"...which is ironic because I'd argue Franklin is every bit as much of a suburb of Nashville as any other suburb. But still, there's just a little bit of distinction that comes with saying you're from Franklin, I think.

In my personal opinion, I prefer Hendersonville for several reasons. First, they seem to have managed growth very well. While we have traffic in and around the city, (in my experience) it's a much easier city to get around in than Franklin. Maybe it's because the population density is less, but it just seems like it's easier to get around in Hville than Franklin. People point to Williamson County schools as being a major drawing point to that area. Yes, they have good schools. But from what I've heard from friends who live down there, it still depends on your zoning somewhat. Some schools are excellent...others are just good. Hendersonville has very good schools. So to me, that's kind of a wash between the two areas...you're going to get good schools at both.

What Hendersonville lacks in history and a bonafide city center, it makes up with parks and recreation. We're right on Old Hickory Lake and there are several parks throughout the city...Drakes Creek being the biggest.

Anyways, I suspect you're going to find that both communities are excellent and you'll probably just have to prioritize what's important to you. So in my slightly biased opinion:

Franklin Pros:
-Reputation/desirability
-History/sense of community independence
-Schools
Franklin Cons:
-Congestion
-A faint whiff of elitism

Hendersonville Pros:
-Growth potential, managed well
-Outdoors/Parks
-Schools
-Ease of commute around the city
Hendersonville Cons:
-Not as strong of a "community" feel
-Suburb versus city feel

Either way, I think you'll be pleased.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:45 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
I agree, the traffic in Franklin can get very bad. I am always surprised at how long it takes to get to different places in town. I think the aldermen have spent more time dealing with subdivision developers and not nearly enough time monitoring road development. When my kids played sports out at the Franklin YMCA fields on Columbia Pike, it used to take me 45 minutes to get there from Brentwood in afternoon traffic when Mapquest says it's only 11 miles. There are too many cars funneled along the same roads (Mack Hatcher, Lewisburg, Hwy 96, Royal Oaks, Columbia).

Old 03-11-2010, 08:29 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,832 times
Maybe someone from Franklin can speak to the Franklin city schools vs. Williamson County schools. Just be aware that they are two different systems.

And my final thought on your expectations (specific to you coming from LA). I'd guess that if there are specific things you like about LA neighborhoods, then you may find them in one of the suburbs (hopefully without the things you don't like in LA). good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville