Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 21,921 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! New to the whole forum thing but I've come to find that it's quite helpful. My fiance and I are looking for a home, possibly in the Wilson County area and we found a house that's in downtown Lebanon but I would like to know exactly how crowded, noisy, and/or safe it is there. Can anyone let me know? I used to live pretty close to the public square in Murfreesboro and I know that it could get pretty crazy there sometimes and this house in Lebanon is very close to the public square there as well. It it's as busy there as it was in M'Boro, then we may re-think that option. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 07:17 AM

103 posts, read 334,981 times
Like, which side of the square, what's the name of the street? I would avoid the east side unless you don't mind living close to the projects. The neighborhoods off of West Main and around Cumberland University are ok though. As far as crowds, traffic and noise goes, Lebanon is not bad at all.....it's a pretty laid back little town.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:47 AM

15 posts, read 63,872 times
I live in the Castle Heights campus area of Lebanon and Lebanon is great by the way. I know someone who lives on West Gay Street right off of the square and I am there all of the time day and night; I find it very charming and quiet. Do you know what the street or address of where you are considering is and I can be more specific. Please fill free to ask questions I will be happy to help.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:56 AM

634 posts, read 1,419,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watertown Gal View Post
Like, which side of the square, what's the name of the street? I would avoid the east side unless you don't mind living close to the projects. The neighborhoods off of West Main and around Cumberland University are ok though. As far as crowds, traffic and noise goes, Lebanon is not bad at all.....it's a pretty laid back little town.

What she said exept I'll add that you don't want to live to close behind the county jail.Thats another set of projects ( theres two set but the ones directly behind the jail is bad news ). I seen a time when it was so bad, the cops parked in ( full shifts taking turns ) the entrance at both ends of the projects not letting anyone in there unless they lived there.Was just way to much crime and drugs going on in there and honest folks the cops wanted to stay out for their own saftey.Younger folks from out of town used to make bets on who could drive through without getting busted glass or getting the **** kicked out of them just for driving through ''without dealing''. I know a friend that lost his bet on being able to drive through Upton Hights.Dads a retired city cop and my brother is a THP Lt, they've told some stories about that place.Folks from those projects stole from people as far back as Leland Ave.The rest of the town is great though.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:50 PM

15 posts, read 63,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
What she said exept I'll add that you don't want to live to close behind the county jail.Thats another set of projects ( theres two set but the ones directly behind the jail is bad news ). I seen a time when it was so bad, the cops parked in ( full shifts taking turns ) the entrance at both ends of the projects not letting anyone in there unless they lived there.Was just way to much crime and drugs going on in there and honest folks the cops wanted to stay out for their own saftey.Younger folks from out of town used to make bets on who could drive through without getting busted glass or getting the **** kicked out of them just for driving through ''without dealing''. I know a friend that lost his bet on being able to drive through Upton Hights.Dads a retired city cop and my brother is a THP Lt, they've told some stories about that place.Folks from those projects stole from people as far back as Leland Ave.The rest of the town is great though.
I am suprised to hear this as I have never had any negative experiences near or in the projects. I know of people who live there and they are extremely nice and they have never complained. Last week I couldn't sleep so I rode my bicycle around town and went directly through the projects; and yes there were plenty of people out on their porches and teenagers listening to music it appeared as though they were having a block party at midnight. Yes I am sure there are drug problems in the projects but name one neighborhood anywhere in the world that does not have drug problems because the reality is that drugs are everywhere and people that you would never expect are the problem as well. The police are just like the general population they label the projects as a "problem" area and tend to focus on them so if your looking for somthing to be wrong your going to find it. All people rich, poor, any color are just as likely to do drugs and break the law unfortunatly society only focuses on a small percent. Basically I think you will be fine in any part of the city; but of coarse there are more desirable areas of town than the projects.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 21,921 times
Sorry I haven't responded. I'm new to the whole forum thing and I forgot to come back and check. Thanks so much for the feedback. Wanted to let ya'll know that we looked at the house and it turned out to be a dissappointment. Not what we were looking for. It's a nice price for the square footage though. Someone might be able to do something with it. The address is Moderator cut: *** Caruthers Ave. in Lebanon just in case anyone wants to check it out. I don't know if that's consider the projects of Lebanon or not. There were railroad tracks right behind the back yard though and that's another reason we didn't really like it. We're going to keep looking though. We're also looking in Mt. Juliet and some places in Sumner county as well. My fiance works in Gallatin so we figured he could get to work easily from either of those areas.

Last edited by Beretta; 07-01-2008 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: exact address deleted for security purposes

Old 07-01-2008, 12:46 PM

29 posts, read 136,084 times
I was always told by friends in Lebanon that there was alot of crime..but not sure what they were comparing it to.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:51 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,245 times
Dolphin,

That little patch of downtown Lebanon is about the only real "city" Wilson County has,
so if you're looking for something quieter that still leaves most everything else! If getting to a job in Gallatin is a consideration, there are plenty of neighborhoods along and near Highway 109 to consider. Sumner County has even more possibilities since its population is bigger than Wilson. What kind of area/neighborhood do you prefer?

Old 07-01-2008, 01:56 PM

103 posts, read 334,981 times
Not a bad area, but yes, the RR runs right through that section of town. Go down a little further away from the square and you might find something you like. I saw a cute little house for sale the other day between Leeville Pk and W. Main when I was in town..

Old 07-01-2008, 03:46 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Lebanon is REAL quiet. Esp. if you live between Lebanon and Gallatin on 109..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville