Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times

Advertisements

I hate posts about homeschooling....it always sparks debate.

I homeschool. I do not believe that public school is some overlooming evil and I was a teacher in the public schools for over 16 years. I have just simply chosen to homeschool.

I am not in Tennessee so I can't give insight to homeschooling there, but have you considered NC? I am amazed at the homeschool community in this area. There is no lack of activities and get togethers to be had here, and there are plenty of secular homeschoolers and Christian homeschoolers. I am thankful for the diversity and enjoy it, but there are exlusively Christian only groups for those who don't want that.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 AM

181 posts, read 464,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
There are many Christian schools here that are not that pricy. I'm sure you would agree with their pratices. I've been told they are very good!

Diane G

could you please DM me and tell me the ones your talking about? I'm not arguing what you say, just sayin the ones I looked up were 9-16,000 a yr per kid ! Maybe their was some that didn't pop up when I looked in that area.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:46 PM

16 posts, read 40,688 times
By special needs do you mean physical or mental?

Either way, we have wonderful facilities here that are set up to deal with most of the challenges our youth gives us. We have schools for the physically and mentally handicapped, and teachers that have gone to colleges for YEARS studying how to reach these children.

Do you hold a teaching degree? How do you know you're not holding your child back by not allowing him/her to explore the real world? What happens when your child reaches middle school, or high school even? Are you up to teaching those courses? If you're qualified to give him a proper education, one that will prepare him for life and college, than go for it.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 PM

634 posts, read 1,419,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lala27poodles View Post

Either way, we have wonderful facilities here that are set up to deal with most of the challenges our youth gives us. We have schools for the physically and mentally handicapped, and teachers that have gone to colleges for YEARS studying how to reach these children.

Do you hold a teaching degree? How do you know you're not holding your child back by not allowing him/her to explore the real world? What happens when your child reaches middle school, or high school even? Are you up to teaching those courses? If you're qualified to give him a proper education, one that will prepare him for life and college, than go for it.
I'm not so sure that qualified matters anymore ( at least not in highschool honors english ). In the highschool, some students making poor grades in 10'th grade honors english are told by the teacher that it is not her job to teach it, it's only her job to give the assignments.She says the students were sposed to know this before 10'th grade and if they have not figured it out by now then they are just not going to get it. I always thought it was a teachers ' job ' to teach til the kids finished highschool. They must think kids should be on a 12'th grade level before leaving the 8'th grade these days. I guess times have changed.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:53 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
I'm not so sure that qualified matters anymore ( at least not in highschool honors english ). In the highschool, some students making poor grades in 10'th grade honors english are told by the teacher that it is not her job to teach it, it's only her job to give the assignments.She says the students were sposed to know this before 10'th grade and if they have not figured it out by now then they are just not going to get it. I always thought it was a teachers ' job ' to teach til the kids finished highschool. They must think kids should be on a 12'th grade level before leaving the 8'th grade these days. I guess times have changed.
That's terrible. Obviously this woman should not be teaching. However, your position seems to be that this is common. Am I wrong, or do you really feel that way?

If one homeschooling mom behaves similarly, do we draw the conclusion that ALL homeschooling parents are unqualified?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:13 AM

25 posts, read 37,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
First off, I share your views on being able to parent as you choose, not as finances dictate. It's a gift and a blessing. We're lucky.

I also agree that religion is better taught by parents than the school.

As to the ACLU comment, I have to wonder how familiar you are (or aren't) with their work. Their sole mission is to protect our rights as outlined in the Constitution. I doubt many agree with all their work, but that's likely because they don't discriminate in regards to whom they help. That's pretty much the point You may see them as "a joke" when they're supporting those with whom you disagree, but what about when they protect your right to openly practice your faith, to homeschool, to be free from discrimination due to your gender, race, etc.?

I'm not expecting you to send them a check, but, instead, to consider there may be more to their work than what you hear from partisan sources. After all, you're a teacher!

Hope the move goes well for your family.
I do see the group as a joke. That's my personal opinion.

This thread was started by me, who was interested in homeschooling in the state of Tennessee. Your post turned it into a political discussion which is off topic.

If you want to discuss ACLU and how peachy they are, please do it elsewhere.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I hate posts about homeschooling....it always sparks debate.

I homeschool. I do not believe that public school is some overlooming evil and I was a teacher in the public schools for over 16 years. I have just simply chosen to homeschool.

I am not in Tennessee so I can't give insight to homeschooling there, but have you considered NC? I am amazed at the homeschool community in this area. There is no lack of activities and get togethers to be had here, and there are plenty of secular homeschoolers and Christian homeschoolers. I am thankful for the diversity and enjoy it, but there are exlusively Christian only groups for those who don't want that.

Dawn
Hey Dawn!

We have considered NC. TN has lower taxes though. My parents actually live in NC so it's still a possibility. My mother would love that!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala27poodles View Post

Wow. I don't even know where to start.

I don't hold a teaching degree, however, I am more than qualified to teach Jake his ABC's and such. On top of what he learns from me, he gets two hours of Physical Therapy each week, two hours of Speech Therapy each week and three hours of Occupational Therapy each week. He has a kidney doctor, eye doctor, neurologist, developmentalist, & a feeding group that we attend each 6 months. Jake also recieves 7 medicines a day and the pharmacist at the local pharmacy has become my best friend. On top of that, Jake's appointments for the next 6 months have already filled my calendar.

I taught myself sign language two years ago and now, he is signing more than 20 words. He is also a healthy kid, probably because I and his father take his condition very seriously & stay on top of things.

I have to laugh at the "real world" question. I don't know what the future holds for my son, but I can assure you, I can handle it much better than any public school teacher who has a teaching degree.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
Many people homeschool in TN. You should be able to look up homeschooling groups in TN and find a myriad of supprt groups. I don't believe you need any special training in TN like you do in NC (which is a debate in itself) I understand your stance on religion, you will have no trouble finding like minded people, TN is the buckle of the bible belt.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Many people homeschool in TN. You should be able to look up homeschooling groups in TN and find a myriad of supprt groups. I don't believe you need any special training in TN like you do in NC (which is a debate in itself) I understand your stance on religion, you will have no trouble finding like minded people, TN is the buckle of the bible belt.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville