Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:52 AM

21 posts, read 49,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Glad you enjoyed your trip, Bill! Sometimes I have some negative things to say about this area, but I'd still prefer to live here over a lot of places I've been. Did you land in Middle TN? If so, you may change your definition of "mountain" after you travel to the East a little.
We landed at Nashville Airport, and stayed in Brentwood with her brother. I'm looking forward to seeing those mountains. Is it the Smokies? My wife has been to them once and wants to go back badly, so I figure I'll be going there a few times in the near future!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 04:12 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Yep, the Smokies. In my opinion that's the prettiest part of TN, but middle TN has plenty of nice scenery as well.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:47 AM

180 posts, read 596,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill810 View Post
We landed at Nashville Airport, and stayed in Brentwood with her brother. I'm looking forward to seeing those mountains. Is it the Smokies? My wife has been to them once and wants to go back badly, so I figure I'll be going there a few times in the near future!

The Smokies are beautiful and in the relative term of "Mountain", for this side of the US that's a "Mountain". But trust me, the real "Mountains" of this country are unfortunately out west. I wish the Appalachians were taller on average, but they are what they are. Can't change that you know! LOL!! It was amazing to see actual 12,000 foot mountains with snow on their peaks when I went to New Mexico back in May. That was surreal for this poor southern boy from Nashville. LOL!! Than I learn when I get back home that the chain of mountains I crossed over on my way to Roswell, NM was a Volcanic Chain. That made it even cooler, not literally, to think about then. Especially when I thought about the different rock formations in that area I saw.

I remember very well, because the Appalachians and all their beauty is all that I knew all my life when thinking about "mountains", how arid the region was because it was a desert. But as I ascended the mountains, I found more water, more trees, and more people. LOL!! It was cool, and it was weird in a culture and landscape kind of way. You know what I mean?

Me personally, I love the Smoky Mountains and driving through them is unmatched in my opinion!

Old 12-04-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
The Smokies are beautiful and in the relative term of "Mountain", for this side of the US that's a "Mountain". But trust me, the real "Mountains" of this country are unfortunately out west. I wish the Appalachians were taller on average, but they are what they are. Can't change that you know! LOL!! It was amazing to see actual 12,000 foot mountains with snow on their peaks when I went to New Mexico back in May. That was surreal for this poor southern boy from Nashville. LOL!! Than I learn when I get back home that the chain of mountains I crossed over on my way to Roswell, NM was a Volcanic Chain. That made it even cooler, not literally, to think about then. Especially when I thought about the different rock formations in that area I saw.

I remember very well, because the Appalachians and all their beauty is all that I knew all my life when thinking about "mountains", how arid the region was because it was a desert. But as I ascended the mountains, I found more water, more trees, and more people. LOL!! It was cool, and it was weird in a culture and landscape kind of way. You know what I mean?

Me personally, I love the Smoky Mountains and driving through them is unmatched in my opinion!
They may not be the tallest, but I live in South Florida. Anything over 25 feet in elevation could pass as a mountain here! A few years ago, I took a cross-country flight to Sacramento, and we flew over the Sierra's. They were also still snow-capped in May, it really is a cool sight to see.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 PM

231 posts, read 869,487 times
Bill..I am a recent transplant from up north . I agree with everything you have said! My wife and I fell in love with the area 6 years ago while on vacation. We finally arrived here in middle Tennessee in January. While we miss our friends and family , we'll never go back to where we came from. Southern hospitality is everything they say it is! Any well Bill...Welcome to Tennessee!! (in a few months anyway).

Old 12-04-2009, 12:09 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnFire View Post
Bill..I am a recent transplant from up north . I agree with everything you have said! My wife and I fell in love with the area 6 years ago while on vacation. We finally arrived here in middle Tennessee in January. While we miss our friends and family , we'll never go back to where we came from. Southern hospitality is everything they say it is! Any well Bill...Welcome to Tennessee!! (in a few months anyway).
Not wanting to take the wind out of your sails, but IMO, Southern hospitality is pure "fakeness". In many instances, the friendlier they are to your face, the more likely to stab you in the back when you turn around. Just being honest and speaking from 15 years of living in TN.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Not wanting to take the wind out of your sails, but IMO, Southern hospitality is pure "fakeness". In many instances, the friendlier they are to your face, the more likely to stab you in the back when you turn around. Just being honest and speaking from 15 years of living in TN.
I understand what you are saying, Steve. Here in South Florida, when people are rude to you, you build up a defensiveness, and you learn things. Like, I've learned only to give people enough rope, but not enough to hang you with. Most retail organizations here are full of fakeness. I've walked into store, had a decent experience, then walked right back in forgetting something only to hear a clerk calling me a moron or something of that nature.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:37 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
But trust me, the real "Mountains" of this country are unfortunately out west. I wish the Appalachians were taller on average, but they are what they are. Can't change that you know! LOL!!
That's true, but ours are green. I've seen the Rockies from a distance (Denver) and they are pretty darn spectacular just from sheer size. But overall I prefer lots and lots of trees.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:15 PM

180 posts, read 596,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
That's true, but ours are green. I've seen the Rockies from a distance (Denver) and they are pretty darn spectacular just from sheer size. But overall I prefer lots and lots of trees.

This is true. I found trees, mostly spruce, pine, and cedar types higher up in their mountains where the height of the mountains squeeze out the moisture in the clouds. In places, I passed through a National Forest so........

But yeah, I prefer lush trees on my mountains in the long run. LOL!!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:55 PM

451 posts, read 1,371,969 times
Geologists say that the Smokies used to be the size of the Alps, but erosion has crumbled them. Now i saw on Discovery that the Alps are shrinking alarmingly, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville