Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:42 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,307,429 times

Advertisements

Please, lets not turn this into ANOTHER pizza thread. Keep it on topic please.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 PM

55 posts, read 182,591 times
thanks for the suggestions. we've found a place in printers alley.. and i received a bike for my birthday i'm thinking i'm all set actually.

can you bike on the sidewalk in nashville or is it like new york and sidewalks are for pedestrians only?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:40 PM

well, to update we wound up in germantown. i really love my apt, it's beautiful. now i work on loving nashville.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,620,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauset View Post
well, to update we wound up in germantown. i really love my apt, it's beautiful. now i work on loving nashville.

Thank you for the update. We rarely get updates and it's really nice when we do get them and hear that you are happy!!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:23 PM

569 posts, read 1,424,278 times
Thanks for the update Nauset. Give it a little time...it's tough moving someplace totally new. I think it's especially hard in the winter....everyone tends to spend more time indoors. Just keep your eyes open for things to do that sound interesting to you. Let us know if you need any info now that you are here.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 PM

i need help with getting a car.. i've never owned one. the idea is daunting. i don't even know where to begin.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:54 AM

455 posts, read 1,139,393 times
We moved from NYC to Nashville about a month ago. Ended up leasing a car. It's less commitment up front. If you don't plan on driving a lot (more than 10,000) miles a year, leasing can be a good deal. You can find a Toyota Corolla lease for around $150/month right now, I think (plus some money down).

Oh - big tip - make sure you have auto insurance lined up BEFORE you visit the dealership. You can't drive off the lot legally until you have insurance. We got into a pickle by using the dealer's insurance broker. Turned out to be a total ripoff. got most of the money back, but it was a huge pain in the posterior.

We ended up getting a good insurance rate from a reputable insurer - State Farm.

Hope this helps!

(PS - We leased a Honda Insight. All in - taxes, fees, etc. - we're paying $300/month for 36 months for the higher-end version of the car. MPG was very important to us and we're averaging around 40 mpg so far, despite the cold weather which adversely impacts mileage.)

Old 01-15-2010, 04:32 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,620,919 times
Do you want a brand new car or a used one? What is your price range?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:43 PM

17 posts, read 40,135 times
Nauset---

You're still alive right? I just came across this thread after having posted similar questions elsewhere (under Nashville Teaching Fellows).

I've been likewise accepted as a NTF 2010 fellow! And, I'm likewise moving from NYC. And, despite once happily growing up in the beautiful south (NC) I've had a few years out west in Denver and now here in the big city, so it's been a while. The thought of trading in my pre-war, exposed bricks/pipes/you name it, east village walk up for some (horrified gasp) giant, cookie-cutter apartment complex terrifies me. (It won't be like that, right??) I can handle anything really--I'm a great mover, adjust well, etc but when I flew down there for the interview I almost had a panic attack as I drove my rental car to the hotel...I passed a free standing Belk (not even in a mall!) in the same shopping mall as an Olive Garden, Applebee's, TJ Max, Ross, Big K-mart and so on, you get the picture---suburbia.

The next day when I drove downtown though I felt much better---seems like an great place, good vibe for sure. From the research I've done I think I would be happiest somewhere in East or West Nashville, maybe Sylvan park? I've read that it's a changing neighborhood--a little funky, younger crowd. Is it safe--I'm a single 20 something girl. Hopeful to find a roommate?! Or Belmont/Vandy, Music Row?! (Those might be different sides of town, I can't remember). As I try to explain to my mother, every time she raves to me about my little sister's new apartment- in a "new development" with brand new appliances and a parking lot "right out front!" ... I actually prefer a little character and don't mind drafty windows. Maybe an old victorian turned into apartments--am I dreaming? I saw some in Sylvan park.

I think that short term might be the way to go as, like it's been noted, we won't know where we'll be teaching until July at least. Still any thoughts and suggestions from any of you would be great!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 865 times
Default Brentwood 1 bdrm. apt. for rent $795.00 ALL utilities included!

Greetings everyone, this is my 1st post so I'm hoping I'm doing it correctly! I'm interviewing with Nashville Teaching Fellows April 10th and am really excited about it! Just in case anyone is interested, we have an apartment that will be available for rent on May 1st. I thought of this forum as the tenant we've had for the past 2 years is a special ed. teacher (she's getting married and moving back to NY) and the tenant we had for 3 years before that was a middle school teacher (she bought a home in Murfreesboro) so... guess it sort of attracts teachers! Brentwood is 12 miles to the Vanderbilt area (I work there part-time so know the drive well which is close to Belmont. Here is a link with some info. in case you are interested... good luck to everyone!
http://www.nashville.craigslist.org/apa/1673038707.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville