Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 06:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,708 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I just moved to Nashville, and I love it so far. I have a question though- my family is going to be here this week to come visit me for the first time since I've moved here (They've never been here) and Im going to take them around town.

Two things
-What are some cool places to take them for breakfast aside from Pancake Pantry?
-Where is a place downtown that I could take them to that shows a view of the city down there, if that makes sense? I always see photos of people that have the view of downtown nashville behind it, and I have no clue where I would go to see something like that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 06:48 AM

231 posts, read 869,336 times
Not sure on the breakfast thing...but for great "photo ops" of the city, go to the Shelby Street bridge or in front of LP Field....

Old 12-29-2009, 07:11 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
The pfunky griddle is a cool place where you can cook your own pancakes. Water's Edge at Gaylord Opryland has a nice breakfast spread as well.

Allium restaurant on the East side of the river has huge glass windows with an amazing downtown backdrop.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:27 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,470,452 times
Shelby St. Pedestrian Bridge does offer some great photo ops. That's probably the best one in town. Another one, especially now that the leaves are off the trees, is Fort Negley over by the Adventure Science Museum and Greer Stadium. There's a very easy walk to the top of the hill (the path is paved) and there are good views of downtown, plus you get the bonus of seeing and learning about a partially original, partially restored Civil War fort and the Battle of Nashville. Another option is Love Circle off of West End out by Vanderbilt. It's not a formal park...in fact I think it's just a reservoir or some other type of Metro Nashville utility area, but people use it as a park but it's not kept up like a park. Which means some beer bottles and other unpleasantries. But it does have a great view of the city...and offers a view of John Rich's new McMansion (of Big and Rich...the country music duo) which is right there on Love Hill too. It's safe...but I wouldn't go up there at night just because it's very dark and there's no park rangers.

Ft. Negley: Nashville.gov - Parks - Fort Negley
Love Circle: Love Hill-VU Outdoor Rec.

As for breakfast, I, personally, think Pancake Pantry is a tad overrated. Another famous place for breakfast is the Loveless Cafe, out on Highway 100 (Loveless Cafe). They are famous for their biscuits, country ham, and redeye gravy. It's a little bit of a drive from downtown and is crowded for breakfast, but worth it. Plus it's a beautiful drive out there and the Natchez Trace is right there if you're wanting a scenic drive after breakfast. Another option downtown is Elliston Place Soda Shop. They serve a pretty good breakfast too, and it's an authentic 1950s style diner/soda shop. Rotier's just down the road on Elliston Place also serves a good breakfast. Other than Pancake Pantry and Loveless, there aren't any real famous breakfast spots in town...but I'd argue you can get a good breakfast plenty of other places like Elliston Place and Rotier's without having to wait an hour at Pancake Pantry or Loveless. By the way, Rotier's is really well known for their cheeseburgers...so maybe you want to consider checking them out for lunch.

Hope your family enjoys Nashville!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,132 times
Another nice view of downtown is from the Bicentennial Mall/Farmers Market. The other options that were already mentioned are great too....just wanted to throw another one on your list. As far as breakfast...I have out of town guests that like to go to a buffet in the Opryland Hotel. It may be the one that vivelafrance mentioned above. I always get lost in there...but it would definately be different. Also....to add to vivelafrance's Allium recommendation...the people that own that restaurant also own Germantown Cafe...it has great views of the city as well. Just to throw another option at ya.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:03 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,451 times
The Copper Kettle on Peabody St. downtown provides remarkable views (and good food). Sunday Brunch is very good.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,708 times
Thank you so much for all the great suggestions!!! Being new here, I dont know of some of the places you mentioned so this is great for me to discover too! I love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville