Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:01 PM

12 posts, read 28,931 times

Advertisements

We are new to Nashville and went house shopping all last week.

We are trying to strike a balance between good public schools (Williamson County?) and a reasonably short and safe (for a female) commute to Vandy.

We've looked at Fieldstone Farms (Hillsboro Pike) and Temple Hills (TN-100), but think it's a bit far. I will be taking a rotating day time and graveyard shift at work and coming from flatland Florida, we also feel a bit unsafe with unlit, curvy, two lane roads with no lane reflectors (we drove it).

Can anyone recommend affordable housing areas (under $350k) with good schools that offer a short and safe commute to Vandy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 11:46 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,335,328 times
There is a Listing in Wildwood Valley subdivision in Brentwood which would put you closer to Vanderbilt, its Brentwood schools.

1919 Harpeth River Dr, Brentwood, TN, 37027 - MLS #1050669 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1919-Harpeth-River-Dr_Brentwood_TN_37027_1113199750 - broken link)

Its $300,000.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:53 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,516,492 times
I would reconsider fieldstone farms. I think you'll get the most family friendly neighborhood with good schools and a reasonable commute. Hillsoboro Rd is a major roadway and well maintained from Franklin to Greenhills.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 AM

455 posts, read 1,134,223 times
If you're willing to consider Davidson County schools, the commute from Bellevue (Route 70 or Route 100) is not bad at all. I made it in about 18 minutes this morning with very light traffic while dropping my spouse off at the Medical Center.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 AM

Unfortunately, with 3 young boys the public schools are a priority and we can't afford private schools. From what I've read/heard, there is a huge difference between Davidson County and Williamson County when it comes to private schools.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymmgarcia View Post
Unfortunately, with 3 young boys the public schools are a priority and we can't afford private schools. From what I've read/heard, there is a huge difference between Davidson County and Williamson County when it comes to private schools.
There are pockets of excellence in Davidson that outshine Williamson any day of the week, but it requires research and knowing how to apply to which magnet school, which public schools in Davidson are stellar, etc (Julia Green, Eakins, Percy Priest, Glendale all get excellent reviews).

Williamson schools take less research because they are all pretty consistent but they are by no means the best.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:44 AM

I looked at the Great Schools ratings:

Ranked #8
Glendale Elementary School - Nashville, Tennessee - TN - School overview

Ranked #7
Julia Green Elementary School - Nashville, Tennessee - TN - School overview

Ranked #7
Eakin Elementary School - Nashville, Tennessee - TN - School overview

Ranked #6
Percy Priest Elementary School - Nashville, Tennessee - TN - School overview

I'm sure these are good schools in Davidson County, but the ones we have looked at in Williamson County rank most #10.

It's good to know there are options in Davidson though. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:01 PM

253 posts, read 865,106 times
I agree with @Septimus: Julia Green, Eakin, Percy Priest, and Glendale are excellent schools, Williamson County is consistent but by no means do they compare with the ones mentioned.
Also, you'd need to do your research on where you live in Williamson County. Just because you live in Williamson County doesn't mean the school will automatically be "good." The Brentwood (Williamson county) schools get better scores than other areas in Williamson County, however a lot of homes in Brentwood zoned for those schools are probably out of your price range. You need to do your homework.
Also, you could end up in "Brentwood," with a house in your price range, but in Davidson county with Davidson County schools.

Magnet Schools...MLK is one of the best in the area and consistently rated as a top High School in the country. Don't automatically knock Davidson County schools.

Your realtor should be of more help to you explaining these things or I'd recommend getting a different/more knowledgeable realtor.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:14 PM

Thank you for suggesting MLK; it is ranked #10
Martin Luther King Junior Magnet- Pearl High School - Nashville, Tennessee - TN - School overview

By the way, Hume Fogg, ranked #10, looks excellent also
Hume Fogg High Academic Magnet - Nashville, Tennessee - TN - School overview

Now I just have to figure out which Middle School feeds into MLK or Fogg and which Elementary School feeds into that Middle School.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymmgarcia View Post
I looked at the Great Schools ratings:

Ranked #8
Glendale Elementary School - Nashville, Tennessee - TN - School overview

Ranked #7
Julia Green Elementary School - Nashville, Tennessee - TN - School overview

Ranked #7
Eakin Elementary School - Nashville, Tennessee - TN - School overview

Ranked #6
Percy Priest Elementary School - Nashville, Tennessee - TN - School overview

I'm sure these are good schools in Davidson County, but the ones we have looked at in Williamson County rank most #10.

It's good to know there are options in Davidson though. Thanks!
Just food for thought.... we bought in Williamson for the "schools" because we believed everyone when they said how wonderful they were....boy were we disappointed. We moved from a Title 1 (poor) urban public school where our child was doing the same math that Williamson was doing in the 4th grade in the 2nd grade. We now live in Williamson and commute to Davidson and pay for private school.

Schools are about how involved you are. Coming from Florida you probably won't be disappointed in the Williamson County Schools, but coming from probably the top performing state in terms of public education, I am. They claim they are world class but they aren't. World class was the fact that my children got foreign language instruction starting at Kindergarten daily, had a full-time teacher's aide in every elementary classroom so the ratio was really closer to 1:10, etc. They also had amazing science instruction with fabulous projects that really made them want to be scientists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville