Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:31 AM

65 posts, read 235,163 times

Advertisements

Once again, we find ourselves in the position of job relocatoin. Not 100%....but would like to prepare the family. Have narrowed it down to Brentwood. Could someone please provive pointers on neighborhoods?

Looking for a very safe location
Would like to avoid areas that are unfinished, (belly up builders) foreclosures, etc. We lived this in Memphis. Not a good scene.
As quiet as possible, ie., very little traffic, noise,etc
Homes are not on top of each other
We are in our 40's. With teens that will leave for college in a few years.

We are looking in the high 400's to mid 600's.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:43 AM

PS............Brentwood High for school

Old 01-06-2010, 09:53 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,083 times
I don't live in Brentwood, but I did look at houses and neighborhoods there when planning my relocation to Nashville last year.

I think you'll want to look in the area around the Concord Road or Moores Lane exits. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a lovely house on 1-acre in your price range.

The neighborhoods seem quiet and safe.

The one issue you probably won't be able to escape is traffic. Will someone in the family be commuting into Nashville for work? Because the highways definitely can get bumper-to-bumper during rush hours. (Outside of rush hours, traffic seems usually fine, so if someone works a non-traditional schedule, it shouldn't be an issue.)

Traffic on the major roads in Brentwood - i.e. Old Hickory Blvd - can also be very busy, but inside the developments, it seems very light.

Another area you might want to consider is Fieldstone Farms in Franklin, though of course it wouldn't be Brentwood High.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMove View Post
Once again, we find ourselves in the position of job relocatoin. Not 100%....but would like to prepare the family. Have narrowed it down to Brentwood. Could someone please provive pointers on neighborhoods?

Looking for a very safe location
Would like to avoid areas that are unfinished, (belly up builders) foreclosures, etc. We lived this in Memphis. Not a good scene.
As quiet as possible, ie., very little traffic, noise,etc
Homes are not on top of each other
We are in our 40's. With teens that will leave for college in a few years.

We are looking in the high 400's to mid 600's.
Thanks!
All of Brentwood would be considered safe with no high crime areas. Below is is list of subdivisions with houses currently listed in the 450k-675k range and that currently are designated Brentwood HS:
  • Brenthaven
    Foxboro
    Chenoweth
    Concord Chase
    Kings Crossing
    Jackson Lake
    Willowick
    Berkley Walk
    Bonbrook
    Borgata
    Breithorn Estates
    Fountainhead
    Belle Rive
    Lansdowne
    Waterford
    Saratoga Hills
    Crocket Cove
    Cambridge Hills

Hope this helps.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Thank you both kindly.

Arron, where did you end up purchasing? We love the idea of Franklin. We are an equestrian family. Seems there are more opportunites out in Franklin. Not certain about the HS rating vrs Brentwood? I work from home, my spouse would be working in Brentwood. We may have an inlaw situation arising. Need to be in close proximity to great medical care. Which I understand is Vanderbuilt. Another reason to be closer.... if not in Brentwood. Any areas in Franklin that would be a fast shot to the city with a good high school?
Thanks so much!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:14 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,058 times
All Franklin and Brentwood high schools are within the same district. Very little difference in curriculum. (The notable exception being that Franklin High is the only one to have the IB program, if you have a child who is a candidate for that.) You might consider visiting them and seeing where you envision your child being most comfortable, then refine your home search accordingly. No sense finding the perfect house just to find the school's not a good fit.

I live in Franklin near I-65 an have a shorter commute to Nashville than a friend who lives in Brentwood off of Concord Rd. Not a big difference, but worth pointing out.

Nashville has several outstanding hospitals. Williamson Med (in Franklin) is also good, but we've only gone there for stitches, out-patient procedures, etc. When my FIL was having cardiac issues, we took him to Vanderbilt, so I understand your feelings there.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:21 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMove View Post
Thank you both kindly.

Arron, where did you end up purchasing? We love the idea of Franklin. We are an equestrian family. Seems there are more opportunites out in Franklin. Not certain about the HS rating vrs Brentwood? I work from home, my spouse would be working in Brentwood. We may have an inlaw situation arising. Need to be in close proximity to great medical care. Which I understand is Vanderbuilt. Another reason to be closer.... if not in Brentwood. Any areas in Franklin that would be a fast shot to the city with a good high school?
Thanks so much!
MayMove, both Brentwood and Franklin are in Williamson County which has the top rated school system in TN. You can't go wrong either way. As far as travel time to Vanderbilt Hospital and other major hospitals in Nashville, it all depends on where in Franklin and Brentwood that you live in proximity to I-65. In Brentwood, you are looking at about 15-20 minutes depending on time of day. In Franklin, you are looking at about 20-35 minutes depending on time of day. The main business section of Brentwood is about eight miles from Vanderbilt and the downtown area of Franklin is about sixteen miles from Vanderbilt.
FYI, there are three other great full service hospitals in Nashville. They are St. Thomas, Baptist, and Centennial. Additionally, Williamson County Medical Center has a very good reputation(it is in Franklin), but doesn't provide the full array of services that the others do.

Also, as far as subdivisions in the price range that you are looking, Franklin will have even more than is available in Brentwood. Although Fieldstone Farms has some houses in the price range you are looking, they would be in the most expensive part of the development. The greatest majority of the houses in Fieldstone Farms are below the price range you are looking at which could impact resale. Fieldstone Farms also doesn't sound like it meets some of the other criteria you mentioned earlier.

Last edited by gbone; 01-06-2010 at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
I think Brentwood High is open enrollment with priority given to students zoned for Grassland Middle/FHS

Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Thank you Gbone and AKM. We plan to visit. Starting a home search online sparked interest in the schools. I read that if you purchase a home is Ravenswood (and would like to stay with that HS)....you should confirm "solid zoning". For this, not be on the "Nolensville" side. Any truth to this statement? There are many great homes in Ravenswood. Can't tell which subdivision without being too familiar with the area!

Old 01-06-2010, 12:36 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
Ravenwood is overcrowded. The School Committee tried to do rezoning this fall but it was a bandaid and doesn't look like it will happen. The new super. wants to review all zoning which is actually a very good thing since some schools like Brentwood and Centennial have capacity while Ravenwood is over enrolled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville