Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times

Advertisements

I used to live here over 10 years ago and i just moved back to Nashville in November....My question is why do the weather people suck so bad....i mean every year it's been the same thing when it comes to reporting snow.....they reported 3 inches right before i went to bed last night, and now there is no snow on the ground where i am ...I live in south Nashville....and a few weeks ago i heard them mention flurries in the week ahead, but the temps didnt even drop enough for that....i mean is this some kind of inside joke they do every year to see which reporter can put on the best Oscar performance and see if they can make us believe that there will actually be snowfall when they mis-reported it alot of times before....i have lived in California, Florida, and Texas before and visited lots of other cities, but Nashville seems to have the worst weather reporters anywhere?...why do they do this year in and year out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 AM

597 posts, read 2,108,451 times
You hit it, they're reporters. They only report what the precious computer models tell them. That sums up a lot of the world's problems these days. Reliance on a machine often can't hold a candle to a well-trained gut.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:47 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
To be fair the weather channel and the NWS were also forecasting 1-3 inches late last night.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:55 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
To be fair the weather channel and the NWS were also forecasting 1-3 inches late last night.

i have nothing against the way they report the rest of the news here...i think they do a good job most of the time, but when it comes to snow they always seem to try and report snow based on peoples' hopes of seeing it here and not on what is really going to happen....im just disapointed ...lol...im talking like a lil kid now..lol..but i just moved back from Florida and was hoping to see snow and they reported it 2 times since i have been back but no snow ever came and it reminded me of how they do that every year up here when it comes to reporting snow...i had my cardboard box all ready to go sleding down the hill over here....snow-teases....lol

Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 AM

I do think that the local stations use snow to boost ratings. That's why I usually look to national weater reports who don't have that agenda and even they said we
would get a good snowfall. Sometimes they're just wrong.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 AM

56 posts, read 144,253 times
Snow related, weather forecasters are out of control especially when they shut down school systems, wipe out milk and bread at the grocery stores, and cause the price of gas to increase 20% over a three hour time span!

It is a good excuse to stay home though!!

Old 01-07-2010, 02:55 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,470,452 times
Eh...I say cut them some slack on creating panic. They get it wrong sometimes, sure...but remember 2003 when they called for virtually nothing and we got 4-6 inches by 11:00 and the city went into full gridlock? Our location has always been on the far edge of the snow/slush/rain line so it's tough to call. And no one seems to complain at the weathermen when they call for thunderstorms overnight, but the storms fizzle out or pass us by. I think they're pretty consistant...maybe not when we want them to be...but all in all not bad.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Really, the local yokels who read the weather all get their information from the same place... National Weather Service.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:02 PM

Actually, here, the back roads are very bad so I'm glad I was warned about the snow regardless of the amount.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:39 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,177 times
It's like a skating rink on many side roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville