Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:12 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,080 times

Advertisements

Too many, too often! After another night of bad weather and more to come this week, I can't wait to get to Arizona. It doesn't help that I live in a mobile home in the middle of nowhere, that seems to be a tornado magnet. If I had a house with a basement I might not be as anxious to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:51 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
Sure seemed like an F0 -F1 this morning in the backyard. Inglewood and East took quite a beating, but with Joplin in mind, a fairly minor inconvenience. The 'hood was a mess this morning, but nothing that can't be dealt with quickly.

Pay attention to nashvols, he's always got the best skinny on information. And we appreciate it.
We just got our electric back on in Inglewood tonight. Lots of downed trees. More to come tomorrow night ...

Old 02-10-2018, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,366 times
We’ve been planning a move to the Nashville area, but after reading the posts about all of the tornadoes, I’m starting to freak out. Can anyone put my mind at ease about moving there and dealing with the tornadoes? Do most people have basements?

Old 02-10-2018, 04:32 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
No and no.

Sometimes a tornado can be deadly at one area and people down the street won't be affected. If there is a bright side, it is that usually it is such a specific area affected by a tornado that the rest (unaffected part) of the community can provide help.

The best you can do is, as stated above, get a radio and be informed. That and prepare for trouble just like anywhere: prepare for power outages (batteries and candles), have the car filled up, and stock emergency food and water.

Most houses do not have basements.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:06 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,338 times
The West Coast is known for its earthquakes. The East Coast is known for 'NorEasters.

The rest of the U.S. Is known for tornadoes. I've taken to the basement several times when I lived on the OH/PA border.

Here, in Middle Tennessee (between Nashville and Chartanooga), I've been in the barn with my horses when a tornado went over the barn and literally pulled the hair up on my arms. Thankfully it stayed in the air and never touched down until 13 miles later, somewhere in the next county east.

My point is, there is bad weather everywhere. My best suggestion is to Google areas you are interested in and search their weather data for frequency of tornadoes

Old 02-13-2018, 05:22 PM

3,042 posts, read 3,310,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsalek View Post
We’ve been planning a move to the Nashville area, but after reading the posts about all of the tornadoes, I’m starting to freak out. Can anyone put my mind at ease about moving there and dealing with the tornadoes? Do most people have basements?
No

The weather departments at the 4 TV & several radio AM & FM stations are set up to overwarn residents in any part of their viewing/listening areas. From some KY counties to most of Mid-Tenn if there is a bad storm they will cover it 24/7. Better to be safe than be sorry. There is some concern that in early spring the tornado alley includes most of 4 states in a heavily populated area compared to the plains of Oklahoma, Kansas, etc.

For some storms it seems something that is near Dallas yesterday moves east to TN the next day. From Memphis or Jackson depending on the speed you can time it's arrival into somewhere in Nashville. As the storm gets closer, you will be warned if you need to seek shelter or just be prepared for a squall line. The only thing to put your mind at ease is to have a good source of weather info & a plan for what to do if or when you need to seek shelter.

Most people do not have basements. The ground is too rocky to build them.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,530 times
Don't be scared to go live life. Americans are so afraid of everything.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:05 PM

266 posts, read 235,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Don't be scared to go live life. Americans are so afraid of everything.
Tornadoes are scary. Fact.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:44 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
Tornadoes are scary. Fact.
Sharks are scary, tornadoes are a natural occurance. But it's like fear of flying, don't take the risk of death or injury out of the likelihood of occurrence. Of all the things to be scared of in life, tornadoes fall way down the list. The average tornado deaths from 1950 to 2021 is 2 per year in middle tn. You do the math and compare that to, let's say, death from automobile accidents or death from cardio-vascular disease when you stuff you face full of fast food. Or you can move to the southeast coast and live in fear of hurricanes, or move to California and live in fear of earthquakes, move to the upper midwest and be scared of blizzards, etc.

Like the other poster said, don't be scared of life.

Edit: that's not really addressed to you, but to everyone that lives in irrational fear that is out of proportion to the risk.

Last edited by Dd714; 02-23-2022 at 11:55 AM..

Old 02-23-2022, 01:45 PM

266 posts, read 235,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Sharks are scary, tornadoes are a natural occurance. But it's like fear of flying, don't take the risk of death or injury out of the likelihood of occurrence. Of all the things to be scared of in life, tornadoes fall way down the list. The average tornado deaths from 1950 to 2021 is 2 per year in middle tn. You do the math and compare that to, let's say, death from automobile accidents or death from cardio-vascular disease when you stuff you face full of fast food. Or you can move to the southeast coast and live in fear of hurricanes, or move to California and live in fear of earthquakes, move to the upper midwest and be scared of blizzards, etc.

Like the other poster said, don't be scared of life.

Edit: that's not really addressed to you, but to everyone that lives in irrational fear that is out of proportion to the risk.
How is it only 2 a year just a couple years ago a nasty string of tornadoes terrorized middle TN killing dozens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville