Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I am from NY and have been a vistor to Nashville. If your visitors want something different, I would focus on the southern cultural stuff. I'd skip the Frist and the Parthenon because as you mentioned, they are not anywhere near the scope of a Manhattan, Brooklyn, or Queens art museum. If you don't have a car, take them downtown to Broadway, but you probably already planned that. Your sister, of course, is too young for the bars, but you could walk through the Charlie Daniels museum, if she knows who he is,lol. Take them to the Capital building and the Tennessee Museum for some history. Next time, if they come back when the weather is warmer, you could take them on a DUCK tour or another of those Nashville fun bus tours. If you have the car, definitely visit The Hermitage and the Belle Meade Plantation has a wonderful tour. If you visit the Belle Meade Plantation, might as well drive down Belle Meade Blvd. and look at the fancy homes. If the weather is ok and you feel experienced enough as a driver, drive the twisty winding Natchez Trace Parkway and look at the "country" scenery in the Leipers Fork area. From there, you could also visit Franklin. Visit the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Grand Ol' Opry, as well as the Opryland Hotel.

Visit the Nashville icon restaurants to experience cusine that is totally unavailable in NYC, Arnold's Country Kitchen, Loveless Cafe. Also Pancake Pantry. I believe that all of these places have vegetarian items on their menus and these are all cheap places. Your sister might enjoy eating at Fidos and looking around Hillsboro Village. Also consider your sister looking around some of the college campuses while she is visiting you to get an early start of comparison shopping of colleges. It's nice to visit the schools in the winter while they actually have full sessions and there are several colleges that you could visit.
I generally agree with this as well. I would include the Parthenon, not for the art exhibit in the basement but for the architecture. It is the only full-size replica of the original in the world.

I also went to the Country Music HOF and Museum's "free day" last weekend and I have to say I was disappointed. I read that the admission is regularly $30. That's way too much unless you're a real country music fan. $15 or $20 is what it's probably worth. I enjoyed it very much, it was interesting, but not for $30.

I'd also put the Hermitage up there near the top of unique Nashville experiences...we're very lucky to have a Presidential home in our back yard...one of the most important Presidents at that! I'd take the $30 you'd spend for the Country Music HOF and use it towards the Hermitage (which is about $20 the last time I checked).

Finally, rather than hopping down Belle Meade Blvd, I'd probably get online and look for celebrity homes in Nashville. I know there was a map someone compiled on Google at one point. But that might be kinda cool...we have such a diverse group of celebs here...just don't bug them for autographs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 04:41 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,283,689 times
The Hermitage
Bellmeade Mansion
Drive down to Franklin to the Carter House and Carnton Plantation
Drive further south and visit Jack Daniel's Distillery in Lynchburg
Even further south to Huntsville,AL visit the Alabama Space and Rocket Center
Both Jack Daniel's and Space and Rocket are worth the drive.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:48 AM

55 posts, read 182,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shino306 View Post
On a vegetarian note...do they like vegetarian food and would they consider eating it with you? Have you tried The Wild Cow? I haven't been there yet and I eat vegetarian 90% of the time, but it's gotten good reviews. However, coming from someone, who did live in the Northeast for 5 years, I don't know how it'll compare to a Candle 79, Pure Food & Wine, Cafe Blossom, etc if that's going to be your measuring stick per se.

Good Luck and enjoy their visit!
i have tried the wild cow, and i LOVE it. it's not high scale vegetarian food like candle 79, but i think it is just as good as curlys, where i could actually afford to eat :lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Totally disagree about Parthenon. I'm originally from Northern New Jersey and there is NOTHING remotely like the Parthenon in NYC. It is so unique. I visited Nashville before moving here and was amazed by it. I would leave out Belle Meade Blvd. You can hop over the Hudson River to NJ and visit Upper Mountain Ave in Upper Montclair, NJ anytime and see nicer houses and street than Belle Meade Blvd.
agreed. we drove by yesterday. the parthenon may be the most random and unique thing about nashville, so cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
The Hermitage
Bellmeade Mansion
Drive down to Franklin to the Carter House and Carnton Plantation
Drive further south and visit Jack Daniel's Distillery in Lynchburg
Even further south to Huntsville,AL visit the Alabama Space and Rocket Center
Both Jack Daniel's and Space and Rocket are worth the drive.
i forgot about huntsville, thank you!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,536 times
The Pathernon is actually an exact replicia of the one in Greece. I find it amazing. I was intriged with it even when I was in college here in the 70s.
When we moved here I had to show it to my daughter.
The only one that is like it is located in Greece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville