Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:41 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,562,454 times

Advertisements

I'll be staying in downtown Nashville and was hoping for some suggestions of good restaurants. Not the national chains; I'm looking for something that's more unique to Nashville. Price isn't a big issue, but I'd probably avoid the overly expensive places. Ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 PM

97 posts, read 271,903 times
Demo's is locally owned and often voted the #1 restaurant in town by readers of one local newspaper in their annual "Best of Nashville" poll. I have not eaten there, but friends who have are repeat customers.

Mulligan's Pub on 2nd Ave is one of my favorite places, but not everyone likes Irish food. I take out of town guests there for something a little different. We go before the live band starts at 9 pm for a quiet dinner. The upstairs is not too loud after the band starts. Booth's next to the windows upstairs overlook the entrance to the Wildhorse Saloon, a very popular tourist spot for country and western fans. Watching the crowd lined up to get into the Wildhorse is great entertainment. Being a pub, they have darts. Watching people who have had a few pints try to play darts is also entertaining.

Jack's on Broadway if you like BBQ. It's in the tourist district, but the locals I know who have been there liked the BBQ.

I'm sure there are more, but those three popped into my mind when I thought of places that are moderately priced, not chains and are within walking distance from the downtown hotels.

Enjoy your visit.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:57 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,269 times
Welcome!

Since you said price isn't an issue....i'll give you a few different options.

I'm assuming you want something you can walk to.
Lesser expensive side: Copper Kettle, Big River Grille, I'll second the Demos' recommendation
More expensive: The Palm (even though it's a chain...it's still really good), Prime 108 (I think that's still the name...it's the restaurant in Union Station Hotel).

There's also some good places in the Gulch....but that would be a bit of a walk...still doable though.

Have fun

Old 03-03-2010, 07:14 AM

597 posts, read 2,108,832 times
Don't rule out Sole Mio on 3rd just past the Symphony Center. Always an extreme treat. Ask for Deborah, the owner and she'll make sure you have a extra special dinenr.

The Standard at the Smith House is outstanding. It's on 8th Avenue (Rosa Parks Blvd.) at Commerce. It Nashville's only remaining grand townhouse. Incredible 1840s Victorian architecture with an excellent menu. Two of my favorites.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Merchants on Broadway is very good!

Old 03-03-2010, 01:34 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
To be honest, I think our immediate downtown area could use a shot in the arm as far as restaurants go. I think our best restaurants are in the areas just outside of downtown, personally. But as far as within-walking-distance-of-downtown...I second Merchants, Jack's BBQ, and definitely Mulligan's. Big River is pretty good too, but I don't think there's anything really memorable about it.

Nearby restaurants to downtown (ie-a very short cab ride) you might look in the Germantown area which is north of the state capitol/Bicentennial Mall...Germantown Cafe is great, so is Monell's (family style southern staples), and I've heard great things about Mad Platter and City House. The West End area of downtown has lots of dining options (many are chains, though) among the most popular are Rotier's (a burger joint), Elliston Place Soda Shop (an authentic 50s diner), and for more upscale faire The Acorn gets pretty good reviews but I've never been there.

A good resource is our local alt-weekly magazine the Nashville Scene:

Nashville Restaurants and Reviews - Nashville Dining Guide - TN Restaurants

Or nashville.citysearch.com for the "best of Nashville".

Old 03-03-2010, 01:52 PM

43 posts, read 104,800 times
I second Sole Mio, Merchants, Germantown cafe, and Mad Platter. All are local and have excellent food, service and atmosphere. Enjoy your visit!

Old 03-03-2010, 01:54 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
Don't rule out Sole Mio on 3rd just past the Symphony Center. Always an extreme treat. Ask for Deborah, the owner and she'll make sure you have a extra special dinenr.

The Standard at the Smith House is outstanding. It's on 8th Avenue (Rosa Parks Blvd.) at Commerce. It Nashville's only remaining grand townhouse. Incredible 1840s Victorian architecture with an excellent menu. Two of my favorites.
I second the recommendation for the Standard at Smith House!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:53 PM

265 posts, read 488,081 times
I liked Boundry, though only eaten there once... hoping to go again once we move!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:59 PM

569 posts, read 1,425,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post

I always forget about Sole Mio....good call IngleDave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: