Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:58 AM

36 posts, read 83,151 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving two new companies I have formed to Nashville from the Dallas, Texas area. These companies are involved in the GREEN BUILDING industry and we hope to be international players and a one stop shop for all things involving green building. Other areas I am considering are Greenville, SC, Mooresville, NC, Raleigh, NC, Austin, TX, and San Antonio, TX. I need the inside scoop on what would make Nashville a great choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:43 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Over the last decade, Tennessee has been very competitive in attracting businesses here, in particular because of tax incentives and available workforce. Site Selection magazine ranks TN as a Top Ten competitive state for new business. Here is a link to a government "at a glance" sheet that tells a little bit about why. http://tnecd.gov/multimedia_center/pdf/TNataGlance_09.pdf (broken link)
You may have less competition in TN because green building has not taken off here like it has in the Asheville region and other areas of North Carolina. Probably because I don't think there are many state or local incentives or grants to build green. Many of the state's bigger institutions, such as the Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Vanderbilt University, are taking steps to build LEED-certified buildings, and agencies are lobbying for more tax incentives. This is a list of LEED projects in Tennessee. CertifiedProjectList
The construction industry here took a hit with the economy, but people are still moving here and companies are still moving here.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times
I admittedly know nothing about "green" construction -- the only "green" I'm concerned about is in my wallet -- but tax considerations alone should be enough to make you scratch anywhere in North Carolina off your list in favor of Tennessee.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 AM

909 posts, read 1,062,979 times
Huge inexpensive industrial areas in the LaVergne area right by I-24.

Interchange City etc.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Many areas in Tennessee are contracting out for green/LEED experienced companies. I know that here in Northeast Tennessee, Johnson City just built a $122 million silver LEED certified hospital, and contracted to Skanska Building, the Durham-based offices of Skanska. So there is building going on that's being contracted out to other states, perhaps partially due to a lack of such organizations in TN.

Just a thought that you might want to consider TN as a whole, even though you're relocating to Nashville.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:40 PM

36 posts, read 83,151 times
Good info people, keep the comments coming.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:02 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
Good info people, keep the comments coming.
Hey fellow Texan I just passed through your amazing city 2 weeks ago. I grew up in Nashville and got an engineering degree at UT Austin. Seems nobody has mentioned the world class road system in Nashville with 6 interstate spokes giving you unparalleled road access to the South and Midwest. You get by road:

Atlanta: 4 hours
Memphis: 3
Dallas: 10
Chicago: 8
Detroit: 9
Toronto: 11
Louisville: 3
Indianapolis: 5
Charlotte: 6
St. Louis: 6
Cincinnati: 5
Cleveland: 9
Birmingham 4
New Orleans: 9

I've actually driven most of these routes. Speaking of roads, they have built a really ambitious bypass RT 840 around the southern flanks. In the areas near this road, industrial and warehousing development should be coming onstream for decades, keeping the cost of industrial real estate low in the region.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 PM

213 posts, read 769,930 times
Lipscomb Univ in Nashville has a Green Business Summit, it's April 13-14 this year (more info on their website).

Old 03-08-2010, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,279 times
1) Music City!
2) Small town feel with big city amenities
3) Several Private and State Schools around
4) Fantastic Interstate system- I24; I40; I65; with 3 loops: 440; 155; 840
5) Central Time Zone- makes for easy travels to the East Coast or West Coast
6) Growing City- Attracting business b/c of tax incentives, no state income tax, etc.
7) Perfect weather! Great Lakes! Nice hiking!
8) Professional Sporting Teams
9) Top Rated Nashville Chamber of Commerce
10) opportunities!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:21 PM

909 posts, read 1,062,979 times
Check out these great deals on industrial spaces...

La Vergne Commercial Real Estate for Sale and Lease - La Vergne, Tennessee

Smyrna General Aviation Airport (4 miles from Interchange City) has a runway big enough to land 747's. How many suburban airports near industrial/office parks can say that??? {it was an Air Force base during the cold war}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville