Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions from Phoenicians who moved to Franklin Tennessee, pros and cons of North Carolina, pros and cons of Tennessee

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 10:09 PM

148 posts, read 845,859 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both native Phoenicians and are sick of the heat, traffic, and rude people. We visited Franklin, Tennessee last summer and loved it. We loved the people, the beautiful homes with land, and the green everywhere. But our families are telling us that if we move out there we will hate it because of the weather, particularly the humidity as well as the slower pace of life. Just curious if anyone else has moved to Nashville, particularly the Franklin area from Phoenix or anywhere else in the west and adjusted well. We have three small children and one on the way and would like to move soon so as to not disrupt their lives as they are not in school yet. We are also considering North Carolina (but have not visited yet) so if anyone can tell me why we should pick Franklin over say Raleigh I would really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

Angie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 02:38 PM

63 posts, read 401,931 times
My neighbors are from Mesa, AZ. They moved here 3 years ago and bought a beautiful new house next door to me. I live in Antioch, but I visit Franklin very often and I'm sure you would love it there just as my neighbors like it here. They have 2 young children and told me they wanted to get out of Mesa before they grew up because of how bad it was getting there. The humidity might get you, but you'll get used to it just as I did 7 years ago when I moved from Los Angeles. But still I would prefer humidity than having 110+ every day in summer.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:27 PM

14 posts, read 47,336 times
Hello Annie,

I'm in Mesa Arizona today, but I'll be Bass Fishing in Tennessee in about one month.

If all goes well, I plan to call Tennessee my new home.

I'm sorry to hear that you too are nearly at your wits end with living in Arizona, but I'm glad to see you posting your comments here at this forum.

Last month, I placed a post here mentioning how badly I hated living in Arizona and the replies to my post was everything from warm hearted welcomes, to humorous replies, to people thinking that I was some kind of an idiot...one lady even called me names and asked me if I were living in Baghdad...(LOL)

I'm glad that you will back me up on my comments that the food here is horrible, the crime is outrageous, the people are very rude and there's just no words to describe the traffic and road rage.

I think that if you are looking to work and make a living, you might be more successful with Tennessee.

I've never spent much time in North Carolina, but coincidently one of the hotels that I stayed in once had about 30 people working on a crew from North Carloina.

They were excited to be in Arizina, because they were making $9.00 per hour...yippee!

Speaking with several of them, led me to believe that NC is a beautiful place, but there aren't a lot of high paying jobs in some of their towns.

Where ever you end up, I sincerely wish you well and I know you will definitely be sleeping better, once you get east of New Mexico.

Take care,
Rick. aka "Bluesstringer"

Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 AM

Default Thanks Bluestringer

I am sorry that you got bashed for expressing your opinions on the greater Phoenix area. I was born and raised here and only left for college and therefore I have seen it go from a good city with hardly any freeways, nice people and relatively decent schools to a place that is hotter than hot, with a horrible pollution problem, overcrowded and not with nice people, a horrible traffice problem and the state with the worst public school systems in all 50 states. You are right about the road rage. If someone cuts me off, I am afraid to even honk to let them know I am there as I might get shot. I love to run but am afraid to run after dark for fear of being shot or raped (and I live in a nice area of the valley....the Arrowhead area). But it seems like there are no areas immune to the crime here anymore. We know none of our neighbors as people just drive into their garages and shut the doors before you can even say "hi". Backyards are about how high you can build your block fence so no one can see in.

It is hard to leave as ALL of our family is here and we have many wonderful friends and a great church but for the sake of raising our children we can't imagine staying either. Good luck in your move. What part of Nashville did you decide to move to? You will have to post back when you get settled and let us know how you like it.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:28 PM

156 posts, read 678,283 times
Default Relocating from AZ

AZ..
I moved to Franklin from San Diego about 9 months ago.
....best thing I have done.....its wonderful here...people are helpful and friendly. The ~southern culture~ is refreshing and I smile alot more these days.
I have spent a lot of time in the Phoenix and Chino Valley area....and completely understand your post about about all the issues there.

Housing is cheaper here....and you get so much more for your $$'s.
Franklin is a wonderful area....but there are many other choices equally inviting.
Good Luck!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:49 AM

16 posts, read 98,897 times
I've never seen so MANY people smile in your face and stab you in the back.... unreal.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:56 AM

439 posts, read 1,251,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004idiot View Post
I've never seen so MANY people smile in your face and stab you in the back.... unreal.

Really, I'm being serious because we are thinking of moving there.

I live in Phoenix and don't see any of what the others are saying, maybe it's the area you live in. I live North of Dyamite off of Tatum, so close to the Cave creek area and north Scottsdale. I never hear of crime here, it's mostly down south in the Chandler area or mesa.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:02 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,134,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post

I live in Phoenix and don't see any of what the others are saying, maybe it's the area you live in. I live North of Dyamite off of Tatum, so close to the Cave creek area and north Scottsdale. I never hear of crime here, it's mostly down south in the Chandler area or mesa.
I think 2004idiot was referring to Nashville, Taterhead (nice username, by the way). We're getting a slight inkling that 2004idiot doesn't like it much here. Or us. ;-)

Old 10-15-2007, 12:10 PM

16 posts, read 98,897 times
Alleycat seems like an UNUSUALLY nice person for TN!!
I'm not making it up when I tell you I have had the worst sexist/racist bosses ever. I just have not experienced this before. My boss at the state actually had the nerve to say she hated working with women........ DUH, that is against FEDERAL law. Yea, and she brought up religion. AGAIN, against FEDERAL law.
I don't care how sexist or racist someone is... when I am at work, I DO NOT want to hear it nor do I share it. These MORONS should keep that illegal talk to THEMSELVES.
I have experienced this stuff in EVERY job, so far.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Phoenix

Taterhead,

I also am in a safer part of the Phoenix area (Arrowhead area) but know that the crime keeps creeping farther and farther out. Crime is not one of the major reasons I would like to move from Phoenix.

Why are you considering leaving Phoenix? You live in a nice area and have Desert Ridge so close, lucky. Have you visited Nashville before? Why Nashville? Are you considering any other places? I am a native of Phoenix and have visited Nashville twice. We loved it and are looking forward to moving there hopefully next spring. Being a native of Phoenix, I have seen it go through so many changes and it is not the same place I grew up. I have just really felt over the past 2-3 years that Phoenix is not where I want to raise my children. Our house has been on the market since March and so we are waiting for it to sell. The market here is awful as I am sure you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville