Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:16 PM

21 posts, read 49,381 times

Advertisements

Nanincy...what are defensive driving classes? I didn't know they existed!

I did my first driving through the 5 lane highways to a job interview today...(which I got! yay!) and I got through it ok haha But now I'm nervous at the idea of having to drive that every day... but I guess that's the only way to get used to it though!

Oh, and the whole time I was driving I just kept thinking about all the advice everyone on here gave me, and that helped...so thank you all for that! I felt like the Little Engine That Could... "I think I can, I think I can...!" haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 08:24 PM

7,500 posts, read 17,107,427 times
No seatbelt needed, then

Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 PM

290 posts, read 1,049,942 times
I have a hobby website which shows all the traffic cameras along each interstate (24, 40 and 65), Briley Parkway, Ellington Parkway and Vietnam Veterans Parkway. You can click on to an interstate you want to practice driving on to check out the traffic conditions before you leave.

The website is Buzz's Nashville TDOT Interstate Cameras Page

Hope this helps! Take care and drive safely.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:15 PM

21 posts, read 51,563 times
Amdst2, Wikipedia defines defensive driving as: "a form of training for motor vehicle drivers that goes beyond mastery of the rules of the road and the basic mechanics of driving. Its aim is to reduce the risk of driving by anticipating dangerous situations, despite adverse conditions or the mistakes of others". The thing about driving is that we all end up having to drive "for each other". So, it might help.
One good thing about the GPS is that, if you are not so comfortable with all the lanes, at least you know in which one you should be. Congratulations on your job! I completely understand your driving fear cause I felt like that when i started driving around here (never had to drive before). But as everybody says you get used to it. But always watch out. We usually make more mistakes when we are "too confident", too!
Maybe you can find people who are willing to car pooling. It is good for the environment, saves money and it is one less car on the road. I just started a new job too and I will try to find someone whom I can car poll with..

Old 03-12-2010, 10:45 PM

21 posts, read 49,381 times
Yeah, carpooling is a good idea...but being new to the area...I need to make some friends first! haha
Defensive driving does sound like a good idea. Does it cost to take classes?
And BuzzCam, thanks, what a helpful website!!

Old 03-13-2010, 01:39 AM

764 posts, read 2,539,383 times
Are you going to have fairly normal working hours, like a Monday thru Friday, 8am to 5pm kind of job? If so and you don't think you'll need your car during the day, there is a Park and Ride shuttle lot right by I-24 next door to Cheddar's off Sam Ridley Pkwy. I have no idea ow much it costs, but you're already paying for gas and parking downtown anyway and this way you can avoid the hassle and anxiety of driving in rush hour traffic. If your schedule doesn't work with the shuttle route, there are lots of avenues to find rideshares to and from downtown too.

RTA | Commuter Services | Park & Ride (http://rtarelaxandride.com/parkandride_24east.html#samridleyparkway - broken link)

http://rtarelaxandride.com/downloads/RTA_Relax&RideBrochure.pdf (broken link)

Driving here can be a huge PITA. Sure, it's not as congested as NY, LA, CHI or even Atlanta, but coming from a small town, you have a different perspective and it can seem just as bad as a more high-traffic area. It doesn't help that the majority of Nashville can't drive worth a flip anyway...

Old 03-13-2010, 09:08 AM

290 posts, read 1,049,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdst2 View Post
Yeah, carpooling is a good idea...but being new to the area...I need to make some friends first! haha
Defensive driving does sound like a good idea. Does it cost to take classes?
And BuzzCam, thanks, what a helpful website!!
Thank you! I created it years ago, as a hobby, so I could view more than one camera at a time on any given interstate. There is a radio station in town which uses it every morning to compile traffic reports for their listeners. I guess it is a strange hobby, but it keeps me out a trouble. Best of luck to you!

Old 03-17-2010, 06:22 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,031,561 times
Congrats on two fronts: the job and the driving!

In no time you'll be ready to drive in NYC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville