Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:17 PM

147 posts, read 334,501 times

Advertisements

Not to mention, Brentwood High School (according to US News) is one of the top high schools in the nation, not just the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,436 times
Like another said, Franklin has more character than Brentwood, which feels like just a town off the interestate next to Nashville. Our son goes to Currey Ingram Academy in Brentwood. It's a fantastic school with small classrooms (5 to 7), state-of-the-art facilities, and teachers who care. It is for bright kids who don't learn as quickly in public school setting, although every child would excel given CIA's individualize teaching methods.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:09 PM

253 posts, read 869,058 times
I'd go with Ensworth over BGA for elementary school, just due to reputation, however for High School I'd go with Montgomery Bell Academy (MBA) for the boys and Harpeth Hall for the girls. Ensworth just "recently" started their high school, they have a better reputation as an elementary/middle school than high school.
Both MBA and Harpeth Hall are known for their rigorous academics and hence their National Merit Scholars, high SAT scores, and their graduates going to more "prestigious" schools.
You should set up a tour of the schools to see which you like best, plus it's "recommended" as part of the application process.
Ensworth starts Mandarin in Kindergarten along with Spanish, I can't speak to BGA.
There's also Oak Hill, which runs from Pre-K to 6th grade and has a religious emphasis that Ensworth does not, if that appeals to you.

You can look up all the schools online.
Good Luck

Old 04-06-2010, 04:54 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,633,731 times
I'm a fan of public schools here, but it's hard to discuss Nashville's private schools with out including University School. Considered by many to be the top choice.
Browser Not Supported

Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM

253 posts, read 869,058 times
The University School is also good but it depends on what sort of environment you want for your child, it's best to tour them to see which one fits your needs along with the overall feel of the school. The culture is very different at MBA/Harpeth Hall vs. the University School.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:45 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Absolutely. Every school is different, as is every child is. I'm surprised how many people enroll their kids into a school they've never visited.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:09 AM

210 posts, read 588,018 times
I would also suggest bringing your family down and doing visitation days at a few schools you have selected. When we moved here (when I was starting high school in the early 90's) I visited a number of schools. Because of my age and to help with the trauma of moving my parents let me select my own school...I chose BGA. At the time Ensworth only had lower school so it was not an option. I visited BGA, BA, FRA, HH, and Father Ryan. During my visit, each school paired me with a "buddy" based on who they thought I would have common interests with...it was pretty cool. I chose BGA because I fell in love with some of the people and just the overall feel and attitude of the school. And my buddy, well she is one of my best friends to this day (I am now in my 30's).
So please take some time and visit your choices, because what you think might be a good fit might not feel so right after spending some time there. There are also a number of people who send their kids to public elementary school (like Grassland, it’s a great school) and then make decisions on private school for either middle or high school, could be an option.
[SIZE=3]Good luck in your decisions and let us know if you need anything else. J[/SIZE]

Old 04-10-2010, 11:44 AM

940 posts, read 1,902,777 times
I'm gonna plug my alma mater, from which I graduated near the bottom of my class, but even still finished up with an MSEE from UT Austin, with its electrical engineering graduate program in the top 20 nationwide. MBA is the granddaddy of Nashville schools, read on the history of the school and it should be no surprise why I say this. Visit the campus and it should be obvious why I say this.

Last edited by groovamos; 04-10-2010 at 11:52 AM..

Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeardslady View Post
Consider yourself lucky, there are plenty of other states (including California where we are) who wish their public school system to be as good as Tennessee!!
Ditto! I would never send my kids to LAUSD and this is one of the (many) reasons why I'm moving to Nashville.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:33 AM

13 posts, read 17,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
I'm gonna plug my alma mater, from which I graduated near the bottom of my class, but even still finished up with an MSEE from UT Austin, with its electrical engineering graduate program in the top 20 nationwide. MBA is the granddaddy of Nashville schools, read on the history of the school and it should be no surprise why I say this. Visit the campus and it should be obvious why I say this.
I agree, I would love for my boys to go to MBA one day. For those unfamiliar, did you ever see the movie "Dead Poets Society"? The writer of that film is an MBA graduate and he has said that the movie is loosely based on the school. Such a wonderful history of tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: