Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:08 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,841,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactthelees View Post
Thanks everyone - back to looking at Brentwood/Franklin or Mt Juliet/Hendersonville. Can't decide at the moment between good schools/big malls or the lakes..........
The schools in all of those towns are good! IMO, you can't beat the lake and parks in Hendersonville during the summer. Mt.Juliet and Hendersonville both have nice outdoor shopping plazas that are smaller than Cool Springs Galleria but offer nice options. Hendersonville has Chico, Talbots, etc. For anything else Rivergate is 5 minutes away with the big department stores and Green Hills is 20 minutes away with the "really nice stuff."

The outdoor style of mall really offers a chance for it to be a community center as well. The Streets at Indian Lake (Hendersonville) hosts lots of festivals, a summer concert series, a weekly farmers market, and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 05:12 PM

627 posts, read 1,845,580 times
If you have to be really close to the lakes, choose Mt. Juliet or Hendersonville. If you can stand driving 40 minutes or so Saturday morning, choose Brentwood/Franklin. The schools, shopping and commute (assuming you work in Nashville) are better on the South side.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:55 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,841,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
If you have to be really close to the lakes, choose Mt. Juliet or Hendersonville. If you can stand driving 40 minutes or so Saturday morning, choose Brentwood/Franklin. The schools, shopping and commute (assuming you work in Nashville) are better on the South side.
Franklin is a longer commute than Hendersonville or Mt. Juliet. The latter would both be better options for the airport and downtown.

I think you'll also find the traffic in Hendersonville and Mt. Juliet in the evenings and on weekends to be much less than the congestion in Cool Springs.

Really you can't go wrong with any of those cities, they each have unique attributes...and all four have grown rapidly within the past few years.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:26 PM

50 posts, read 122,698 times
wow = you guys are great. My husband is near the airport and I will try and get part time work somewhere near home. I've been up twice now from GA, my husband is already there, I'm waiting for our house to sell. I think I will try and get right on a lake, is there anywhere I should avoid?

Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 AM

28 posts, read 80,573 times
We left Columbia from Saturn in 2002. We were lucky to have sold then and not stayed with GM any longer. I had 30 years. may have gotten a buy out but hind site is 20/20. The location we lived in has gone down hill in the past 8 years and I am sure the home values are in the toilet. We made a mistake when we relocated to Columbia in 1988, being close to the plant turned out to be a liability. We should located in Franklin or east. The Small parts building will close this fall 2010. GM is building a new plant in Mexico as I write this. So much for a 100 Car Company (Saturn)

Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 PM

233 posts, read 720,483 times
Cop2 - I think you may be right. Home values have come down, but people here in Columbia still think they are worth much more. I laugh at these people trying to sell their homes for the prices they want. I wouldn't mind living here because I have no kids and don't care about the schools, but they are out of their minds thinking that their homes are worth what they are asking. I'm just sitting back and waiting. I guess they don't realize you can look up on line what they paid for the place! I can buy what I want when I want to and not pay a dime more. Sure, I would love to be able to live somewhere around Franklin, but the prices are all way above what they are really worth. I don't know why people think their homes are worth so much. However, if there is somebody out there ready to pay that price, God bless them. I'm just not going to do it. Tennessee isn't all that. I'm not impressed at all with the area or the people. BTW, I work in Nashville, so my opinion is more based on what I see in Nashville, not Columbia (both are not very impressive).

Old 08-13-2010, 09:54 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaC View Post
Cop2 - I think you may be right. Home values have come down, but people here in Columbia still think they are worth much more. I laugh at these people trying to sell their homes for the prices they want. I wouldn't mind living here because I have no kids and don't care about the schools, but they are out of their minds thinking that their homes are worth what they are asking. I'm just sitting back and waiting. I guess they don't realize you can look up on line what they paid for the place! I can buy what I want when I want to and not pay a dime more. Sure, I would love to be able to live somewhere around Franklin, but the prices are all way above what they are really worth. I don't know why people think their homes are worth so much. However, if there is somebody out there ready to pay that price, God bless them. I'm just not going to do it. Tennessee isn't all that. I'm not impressed at all with the area or the people. BTW, I work in Nashville, so my opinion is more based on what I see in Nashville, not Columbia (both are not very impressive).
I agree 100%! I wish I could give you 1000 reps for this post. We moved here close to 3 years ago. We started looking then and they were way overpriced for what you got. Most needed work and they were still priced over what the home was actually worth. And you know what? Most that we looked at 3 years ago are still available! Some haven't went down a dime. But I'm glad it was like that. After the first year we knew we weren't going to stay. We weren't impressed at all either. We have been trying to transfer back home but it's hard. It sure was easier coming here than getting back. I can see why.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:02 AM

28 posts, read 80,573 times
I agree "You can't go back" I saw this when we (Saturn) hired people from other GM sites. They didn't Tennessee/Spring hill/Columbia and went back to there old plant after a few years and things had changed there as well not for the best. The homes in my neighborhood were built in 1986 ans sat until in 1988 before selling. Homes built in 1990 were over priced and when we cut back people could not afford the $1250.00 mortgage payment ands walked away from them. Franklin was always over priced even in 1986, but was probably a better resale value.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:34 PM

65 posts, read 111,161 times
Hey all, found this thread as I am interested in the goings-on in Spring Hill/Northern Columbia area. Any news on the Saturn plant at this time? I find it amazing that a newer facility such as this would be basically just "abandoned".

SURELY there must be something in the works for its future, even if not with GM. As I read somewhere, the housing is there in Spring Hill and certainly priced right, and with the last leg of 840 nearing completion, the traffic congestion on 65 should have some relief.

It is sad to see the area decline over the years....no work at the plant...a little too far/ too much traffic in and out of Nashville and now my favorite coffee house is closed. (Utopia Coffee) :-(

Old 09-04-2010, 08:49 PM

233 posts, read 720,483 times
It's all politics. The plant shouldn't ever have been shut down if you look at the status of the updates, but that's a whole different discussion you would need to have with your president. Remember, TN voted for McCain. Think about it.

I'm not sure I understand your statement about 840 helping some of the congestion on I-65. 840 runs east-west and 65 runs north-south. I drive 65 every day and if you are heading to Nashville, you are not going to take 840, so I don't think it will help the north-south commute. However, it will help those in Dickson, Burns and White Bluff increase their property values. This is, if anybody can afford to buy anything.

If you truly think real estate is "priced right" in Spring Hill, you should buy something. After two years of looking, it is way overpriced for me, but you may have a different perspective, so go for it! I am not impressed with the quality of homes or the subdivisions that have been built in the area. I am not a fan of "stick homes". I like brick or concrete block.

Best wishes to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville