Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,206 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the area in three months. We're both in our mid to late 40's. Our daughter and her husband moved to Woodbury last year, and they've both been after us to come visit. Boy, will this be a surprise! (A good one...we don't pry into their lives and expect the same courtesy in return)

I'm a small town girl who was born in Virginia and "immigrated" to Kansas when I was very young. Hubby's spent most of his adult life working in the printing industry. While he has no degree, he has a huge amount of practical real-life experience. He's sending his resume out to several prospective employers in the morning.

I'm seriously considering enrolling in a nearby college. I have an Associate of Arts in English, but want to go for Masters. As I'm not getting any younger (funny, the way that works, isn't it? ), I figured I'd better go for it now. I would eventually like to teach on a secondary or post secondary level.

I do have a couple of questions I hope you wouldn't mind answering.

1. We will be renting a house or apartment to start. We have two cats who are strictly indoors 24 hrs. a day. They are both neutered and front declawed, litter trained and thoroughly decent older gentlecats. First question: Is it difficult to find landlords who accept tenants with pets? Pet deposits don't bother us. The "no pets no matter what forget it don't even ask" is becoming more common, and I can understand why very easily. Just need a heads-up concerning this issue and the area.

2. Is there an internet service provider near or in Woodbury? It would help to get feedback as far as service is concerned, if anyone would be so kind.

3. What kind of opportunities would I have to achieve my goals of furthering my education?

Sorry for writing a novel my first post, folks! Just trying to wrestle the situation onto the page in a way that's half-understandable. Thanks for reading, and please feel free to be honest and to ask any questions you might have.

mother_nyx (I've been a night-shift worker at a manufacturer for years, hence the handle)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 08:39 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Middle Tennessee State University is in Murfreesboro. It's one of the larger and better state colleges.

I assume (but don't know firsthand) that there wouldn't be a problem with getting an ISP in Woodbury, whether DSL or cable.

It's not that far from Woodbury to Murfreesboro; you might find it works better for you to live in Murfreesboro and visit your family in Woodbury. There would be a lot more choices in apartments, plus you would be closer to MTSU, plus there are more printing opportunities in Nashville and if your husband needed to commute, it would be easier from Murfreesboro (although it would be a long drive), there might even be something in the printing field in Murfreesboro itself. I'm sure you could find an apartment that would accept cats in Murfreesboro.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,206 times
I apologize for the delayed response to your post; anyone working the graveyard shift knows all bout strange schedules. It's just breakfast time here.

Thanks for the tip on MTSU; I'm looking into things there, and they look promising. We have several very good leads on apartments now. I really believe we're going to enjoy living in the area, and am looking forward to the move.

I spilled the beans to my daughter...she's thrilled, and has started the ball rolling as an extra pair of eyes and ears in the area. Things are beginning to come together in a positive way pretty quickly, but we have several "Plan B"-s just in case there's the inevitable speed bump in the road. Thanks for reading, and take care.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 17,031 times
I just moved to TN from NYC Charter is the way to go unless you want satalite also not many phone services my opinion get vonage and when you do get internet ask for 10MB so vonage can handel your call volume I have been here a month and still have not found a job. I moved to Manchester which is just down the road from woodbury literally. The folks are really nice here a far cry from NY as far as education goes I am stummped on that one can't really give you any advice their.take care and good luck on your move give me a shout when you get here byonks@charter.net if you ahave anymore ? ill try my best to answer them for you.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:15 AM

3 posts, read 7,464 times
Smile welcome to Murfreesboro

Printing - look up Standard Register they are the biggest employer in Murfreesboro in that category. Even if they dont have openings, send the HR manager a resume. It works sometimes.
We are considering selling our house, perhaps worth a chat when you do come down to Mboro.
thanks and best wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville