Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 PM

450 posts, read 1,502,944 times

Advertisements

Our house here in the Central Valley of California is up For Sale.... We are coming to Tennessee at the end of June to look (buy) a house to retire to.. We are lucky and in our late 50's... My wife gets FULL medical when she retires United Health Care thats covers all of us. YAY.

We already have a real estate agent there in Gallatin and she is looking for houses for us in Portland and/or Springfield...

I would like any and all information that anyone can share... We would like to get part time jobs and join a Free Will Baptist Church..

We will be moving there in March or April of next year...

Thank you in advance Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 03:06 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
You shouldn't have a problem finding a Free Will Baptist Church; there are lots of them around here and, as you probably know, the Free Will Baptist College is in Nashville. I grew up going to a FWB church.

If there anything about Robertson County you want to know, I can probably tell you or find out easily. I know Portland but I'm not that familiar with it.

I would suggest that you look in all of Robertson County rather than just Spingfield proper. You might like the Pleasant View or Coopertown or Adams part of the county.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:33 AM

450 posts, read 1,502,944 times
alleycat thanks for your responce... We will have a couple days before we meet with our agent.. So we are goiing to do some site seeing and get a lay of the land... The place we buy right now we will have to rent out until March of next year. So it will have to be fairly close to Nashville. Yet far enough out to eget more bang for the buck. I am thinking that White House and/or Hendersonville may be to close to get anything decent in the 120k range... But we will for sure check out Pleasnant View, Coopertown, and Adams you never know what we will find. Plus it will be good to get to know the areas....

Thanks

Old 06-08-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
alleycat thanks for your responce... We will have a couple days before we meet with our agent.. So we are goiing to do some site seeing and get a lay of the land... The place we buy right now we will have to rent out until March of next year. So it will have to be fairly close to Nashville. Yet far enough out to eget more bang for the buck. I am thinking that White House and/or Hendersonville may be to close to get anything decent in the 120k range... But we will for sure check out Pleasnant View, Coopertown, and Adams you never know what we will find. Plus it will be good to get to know the areas....

Thanks
If it really needs to be convenient to Nashville, you might rule out Adams and the northern part of Springfield. It's still a pretty easy commute from Pleasant View or Coopertown or the south part of Springfield into Nashville; but less so the further away from I-24 you go.

$120K is kind of on the low side for the greater Nashville area. I'm not saying you can't find something you'd like in that range, but it could be difficult in the more popular areas.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:36 AM

334 posts, read 1,281,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Our house here in the Central Valley of California is up For Sale.... We are coming to Tennessee at the end of June to look (buy) a house to retire to.. We are lucky and in our late 50's... My wife gets FULL medical when she retires United Health Care thats covers all of us. YAY.

We already have a real estate agent there in Gallatin and she is looking for houses for us in Portland and/or Springfield...

I would like any and all information that anyone can share... We would like to get part time jobs and join a Free Will Baptist Church..

We will be moving there in March or April of next year...

Thank you in advance Lee
Lee, I am a Robertson County resident, and work between Springfield and Portland in White House. I can help also if you need to know anything. The White House area has gone from about 2000 people to almost 10,000 people in the last ten years. With that growth also comes bigger house prices. I talked to a realtor here the other day that told me that one subdivision alone here has 27 houses for sale in it. I'm sure prices are negotiable but I don't know of many that will fall under $120,000 around White House, Ridgetop or Greenbrier, but there may be some in the Orlinda, Cross Plains or Portland area. All three of those are further out but they have I-65 access. Springfield has I-24 but it's a little way out of Springfield. Hope that helps.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:53 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
First of all, I would highly recommend that you sell your home in the Central Valley first. It doesn't make any sense to buy another home if you still have your old one. If you've owned your current home in CA for long enough to not be affected by the latest boom, or you can afford to cut the asking price, then that might be a different story. The central valley is one of the hardest hit areas in CA in terms of depreciation these day. I know because I also live not too far from there. If you buy anyway and rent, make sure that it is an area that is easy to rent or can be rented so that you can at least break even on the mortgage.

I guess what I'm saying here is that it is not entirely safe to assume that your current home will sell for what you're asking, or that it will sell quickly, or that you can find dependable renters in the meantime if you buy here before you sell. But if you sell, you will have more of a guaranteed cash situation versus your initial plan where you could actually lose money. That's my 2 cents.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNNative View Post
The White House area has gone from about 2000 people to almost 10,000 people in the last ten years.
I didn't even know that it had grown that much. I guess it shouldn't surprise me however.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:41 AM

334 posts, read 1,281,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I didn't even know that it had grown that much. I guess it shouldn't surprise me however.
My numbers are off a tad...but not by much.

According to the community newspaper, we’re adding people to the community at a fairly rapid rate in adding 200 to 300 new homes a year.
White House has grown from about 2,500 to about 9,000 in the past 10 years and is expected to reach 15,000 within the next five years, per the article in the paper.

White House is not the little flashing light town that people remember from years ago. The new five lane Hwy 76 which goes through town is sidewalked on both sides and we are getting new hotels, and there is a new Super Walmart being built now. The subdivisions are expanding with big new houses (but most with very minimal lots), there is a new White House Heritage High School in the works and White House is quickly spreading out to touch the borders of Greenbrier, Millersville and Portland. What was once known as Nashville is quickly blending into the surrounding communites where there is not a gap between them....all the way to the Kentucky line.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:08 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,633 times
That growth sounds good in a way, that more amenities will be available, as well as transportation, highways, etc. Then again, that growth also means higher real estate prices.

I"ve been checking from Clarksville over to Kingsport, and down to Chattanooga and below Columbia.

I've REALLY got to center in on one area before we come down in November, and we've got time. But, I really do like the general Cookeville area.

But, jobwise for both myself and hubby, I have to think practicality and that'll be Nashville suburbs - but not too close, tho. Which is why I'm looking at Portland down to Smithville, a nice (approx) 40 mile radius out arc outside of Nashville.

blessings, Shen

Old 06-09-2007, 07:30 AM

56 posts, read 233,341 times
Springfield is a very good community that is growing. It is small but yet has all the big city amenties. We have alot of resturants wal mart kroger etc and they are building alot of homes. You get alot of bang for your buck so I would definately encourage you to look at Springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville