Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:06 AM

22 posts, read 32,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
Brand new double ice rink in Antioch! There's stuff to do here, I think the OP is just old now and out of the loop. You say all you hear about is crime now... Well you probably didn't pay attention to crime rates 25 years ago when you were young. Supposedly downtown used to be full of junkies and prostitutes. I wasn't here then so I can't attest to it.
Dude, the OP posted about the Antioch rink when it was first announced. I don't think he is out of the loop...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 11,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I remember the skating rink which was on Harding place behind where the YMCA is now. I don't remember the Rainbow Rink, must be before my time. Do you remember the one across from Hickory Hollow Mall?

I sure do, even went there a couple of times. The gang I grew up with always went to Rainbow until one weekend in the late 70's we decided to start going to Nashville Skate Center. It burned down in the early 80's and was rebuilt as Music City, then was sold and became Sparkles until it closed. The building is still there on the hill just off Harding, I think its Thrift store now!!

Old 02-25-2015, 09:41 PM

152 posts, read 451,034 times
What a great thread! I grew up in Nashville and spent all of my life there until just a few years ago when I retired. I am from a family of several Nashville generations. Nashville was always destined to be a great city due to its location on the Cumberland river and beautiful surroundings. Here are some of my memories.

In the early 1950s, I can still remember the smell of burning coal furnaces that permeated the air. Music Row was home to many established families that were affiliated with the local colleges--Peabody (now part of Vanderbilt), Scarritt, and Vanderbilt. The streets were numbered then, such as 16th Ave S, and they were lined with beautiful old large rock or brick homes that were grand in nature. Some of these homes were built before the Civil War. The colleges bought up many of the homes and tore them down to build apartments or parking lots for their students. West End Avenue also had many beautiful mansions that have since been torn down to make way for progress.

Close to Union Station, you could still observe old trolly tracks that ran through cobble stone streets. Passenger trains still ran, and the station was still bustling with activity. First Baptist Church on 7th and Broadway was the old original building, and hotels like the Sam Davis and the Noel were active with customers.

Around the court house square, there were old buildings that were similar to the beauties that grace 2nd Ave. now. Facing the front of the court house, to the right were dry good stores that housed old freight elevators. The dust and dirt was so thick that the air inside was hard to breath. These buildings were torn down or they might have burned down--can't remember. There were bail bond companies and a colonial building that housed the traffic court behind the court house where the Criminal Justice building is now. Where the parking area is now there use to be old buildings across the street from the front of the court house that were office buildings, a drug store and a sporting goods store.

Along Deadrick St., to the side of the Performing Arts Center, there was a group of pawn shops. Down one of the numbered streets (can't remember which one--maybe 3rd) there were five and dime stores like Kress and Woolworth.

Going down Church Street toward the river from 8th Ave. you would pass on the left Castner Knot's, Chester's, Harvey's, Petway Revis, Grace's, and on the right was a theater, Grant's (five and dime), Candyland, Baker's Shoe Store, (maybe another theater) the church, Cain Sloan, another theater, and Cokesbury Press. Then Printer's Alley on the left. The Tennessee and the Paramount were the names of two of the theaters. They were very grand and lovely.

Green Hills shopping center was a strip mall with stores in order of memory: Walgreens (a Carabbas is there now), Three Sisters (low budget women's clothing store), Woolworth, Family Bootery (were everyone went to get their ballet slippers and tap shoes), Dury's (photo store), a florist, maybe another store or two, Castner Knot's, Kroger, Gus Mayer, Petway Revis, Chester's. There was another store between Gus Mayer and Petway, I think, and there was Broadnax Jewelers in there somewhere, too. Soon later the building where the theater is now was build to house the Bell Telephone company.

Where Grace's Plaza is now, there was the Green Hills Movie theater and a Karl's Shoe Store. The Wilson Bates Building, which had offices and a few stores, was torn down to add the area where Macy's is now. Abbott Martin Rd use to have a cattle farm close to the shopping center.

There use to be an old country store on Hillsboro Rd at Otter Creek Rd. It was called Beasley's Store. Mr. Beasley owned a small farm in that area just past the castle on the hill on the right going out. (The castle up on the hill was the only large house on that side of the street--Faron Young lived across the street from it). I remember the night that Mr. Beasley's Store burned down. There was a fierce thunderstorm that night and lightning struck it and burned it to the ground.

The stars were everywhere back then. I would see Minnie Pearl at Green Hills Market (where Trader Joe's now is), Brenda Lee shopped at a shoe store downtown on Church St named Baker's Shoes (close to Cain Sloan). I would see here there. Dolly Parton shopped at Casual Corner next to where the Belle Meade Theater was. The city was so small back then. Everyone seemed to know who everyone was.

The merry go round at Harvey's downtown was run by a man who had a pet monkey. The monkey rode around on the man's shoulders as the man took the children's money and loaded them onto the ride. The man also had a candy counter were he sold licorice and other candies.

Perhaps I'll write again sometime about my memories. I certainly have many of them. Until then, here is a great site for reminiscing: NASHVILLE LINKS and PHOTOS Chip Curley is a local who has lived in Nashville all of his life. He takes great pleasure in documenting everything with pictures. From the Nativity scene at the Parthenon to Fair Park at the fairgrounds he has done some awesome work.

Last edited by FLBirdwatcher; 02-25-2015 at 09:52 PM..

Old 03-02-2015, 11:24 PM

114 posts, read 140,795 times
I remember waiting tables on the Rio Bravo patio on West End and watching them knock down the Jacksonian. It's been so fun reading some of these memories!

Old 07-03-2015, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,388 times
Do anyone happen to went to Cora Howe elementary school in 1991, 1992 and 1993, and have the school yearbook?

Old 04-16-2018, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,649 times
I remember both rinks. For awhile my uncle was the district manager of both. I spent most of my summer vacation at Charlotte skating rink while I was in junior high.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,583 times
I actually knew the guy that was killed in ‘89 on Briley .. he wasn’t the driver .. he was only 19 and a really good kid. I remember almost everything that you guys have mentioned. I was a junior when Pearl and Cohn mergered and I loved that school. Most of my friends from West End Jr High went to Hillsboro or Hillwood but I loved the new school and was zoned for there. Literally a street past the zone. I remember when 440 was being blasted and spent many afternoons after school hanging out there. Love Circle was probably one of my favorite spots. I remember the Judy’s restaurant and we also had a Whataburger on Charlotte that I believe is now a Sonic. The skating rink was always the place to be on Friday nights (my parents wouldn’t let me go but I stayed the night with a friend ) .. The Trolley had the best burgers but I really liked Red Barn too. Ellison Place Soda Shop? Wasn’t that the name? Yummy! There was a pool hall later across the street (mid 90’s?) I cant remember the name but it was a guys name. Billiards at 2nd was a happening place. I had a favorite bar downtown 2nd that I went to every weekend next to The Underground.. what was the name? It had jazz upstairs and dance downstairs. Dang! I can’t believe I can’t remember the name. Oh, Sylvan Park Resturant, Wendell Smith’s Market. The gold dome at 51st. Was it Third National Bank? Seems like I opened my first bank account there. Dragon Park.. is it still there? Someone mentioned Dancing in the District.. fun times!! One for the Sun at Hermitage Landing .. I think I saw Ratt there ... cruising our Mustangs on the bridge at Percy Priest . the War Memorial had W.A.S.P. In concert one night. The Municipal was horrible for sound. I saw my first concert in ‘87 (stayed the night with a friend -my parents were insanely strict) it was Triumph and Alice Cooper and I was terrified lol .. I cried to see AC/DC but my parents weren’t having it. I even remember as a small child in the 70’s going to Fair Park. It seems like as soon as Opryland got a Park full of cool rides they shut down. The Grizzly River Rampage.. loved that ride .. the Wabash was my favorite (can’t remember if that’s the correct spelling) .. Nashville was perfect in size. Yes, downtown traffic was a nightmare and West End was, in my opinion, equally as congested back then as it is today.. 100 Oaks Mall .. but Castner Knott and Cain Sloan at Green Hills was my fav. The Ruby Tuesday there was fantastic . Houston’s shutting down blew my mind. Anyone remember Trappers at WBR? Or Bennigan’s? Is Belle Meade Cafateria still around? Wow! You guys have me reminiscing. So glad I happened on this.

Last edited by SherryWithAWhy; 12-12-2018 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-13-2018, 04:59 AM

569 posts, read 1,424,922 times
There was a place called Club Mere Bulles on 2nd. Mere Bulles (the restaurant) was upstairs and the club was in the basement. The restaurant is in Brentwood now. Belle Meade Cafeteria closed several years ago.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:45 PM

3,039 posts, read 3,308,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
There was a place called Club Mere Bulles on 2nd. Mere Bulles (the restaurant) was upstairs and the club was in the basement. The restaurant is in Brentwood now. Belle Meade Cafeteria closed several years ago.
The Belle Meade Cafeteria used to be one place to go for those that don't or can't cook for the holidays. Get a good meal for a nice price.

Sadly the Belle Meade barber shop moved to Old Hickory Blvd near where Sam's Club was located near I-40. The Hill grocery store turned into a Publix.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:17 AM

126 posts, read 146,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBirdwatcher View Post
What a great thread!

The merry go round at Harvey's downtown was run by a man who had a pet monkey. The monkey rode around on the man's shoulders as the man took the children's money and loaded them onto the ride. The man also had a candy counter were he sold licorice and other candies.
I worked at Harvey's Department Store for a year and got to know 'Max' the carousel operator who had incredible stories about escaping Hitler's Germany as a German Jew. He was on the ship carrying Jewish refugees and was turned away at many foreign ports (shameful) leaving over a quarter of them to die in the holocaust. I'm not sure how he eventually made it to America, but he was a fascinating character I'm so glad I got to know.

I also passed by, on my way to work, an African-American, blind street singer, who sat outside the 5th Avenue entrance to Harvey's playing his particularly beautiful interpretation of the 'Blues' and sold shopping bags. A Music Row producer, Felton Jarvis, came down a recorded him singing and playing one day and put it on an album. The album didn't sell enough copies to change his life and he continued playing the blues on 5th Avenue until his tragic death in a fire a few years later.

And by the way, the album won a Grammy!!!

His name was Cortelia Clark. I wish I had gotten to know him better. He serenaded me and others with some of the world's most beautiful music on my way to work.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4E05&FORM=VIRE

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville