Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:50 PM

73 posts, read 246,005 times

Advertisements

Hi all just looking for future areas to move and in many threads I see Brentwood High over Ravenwood High. What are the reasons people feel this way?
We are looking everywhere (Brentwood & Franklin w/ Brentwood Schools) for possible subdivisions that we would like. We like for example cool springs area w/ franklin address yet kenrose/ravenwood schools. thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 01:59 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,806 times
Except for Ravenwood being overcrowded, I believe that Ravenwood is just as good as Brentwood High. Both schools are tops in TN.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:59 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Ravenwood is overcrowded and zoning isn't a sure thing. The new super put off rezoning Ravenswood this year only because he was hired 2 weeks before it was to be voted on and he wanted to get a handle on it. A lot of the subdivisions in the Cool Springs area were part of the proposed rezoning of Ravenswood and they would have been sent to Centennial.

Brentwood is open enrollment. I think it has the highest test scores in the county.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:09 PM

I appreciate all the posts, this helps a lot! Is there a site I can go to that shows the possible new zoning for the schools?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubird96 View Post
I appreciate all the posts, this helps a lot! Is there a site I can go to that shows the possible new zoning for the schools?
No, they haven't gotten that far. The new superintendent has said he will consider all options.

As far as Brentwood over Ravenwood, I guess you could look at numbers. Bwood has more AP classes, higher test scores overall, more National Merit scholars year after year. It has a lot of established award-winning extras like band and broadcasting. Ravenwood is still playing catch-up as far as that goes.

If you look at demographics, the student population at Ravenwood has MANY more families who have moved here in the past five years from the midwest, California and northeast. They have bought in the newer neighborhoods that sprouted last decade. I know tons of families from both schools, and it seems Bwood has more of the longtime Bwood families and families where the parents grew up here and now want to live here. I'm not saying one is better over the other, just an observation from years of interacting with both.

I truly think that in the next 5-8 years they will build a high school out east that serves Nolensville/east Brentwood and draws some of those families from Ravenwood. They need it RIGHT NOW, but the system is having money issues. The superintendent is giving his state of the schools address tomorrow. I can let you know what comes from that.

My kids will be at BHS in the next couple of years, and we are very excited about it.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for explaining. My first choice would be BH but it seems like there are so many more choices outside that school search for more that we are looking for, however schools are very important to me!! We are early in the looking stage so the more information I gather the better.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:53 PM

Yes, I know what you mean. I think a lot of people would like a house with 9-ft ceilings, granite & stainless, etc. in the BHS zone for under 400K. Those homes in that zone would be in the 600s or 700s, minimum. Since it's more in the center of town, it's more expensive. A lot of people give up some of their house wants to live in that part of Bwood.
If it is open-zoned, you could still apply. Your kid's neighborhood friends might go to a different school, so that's a consideration too.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:11 PM

very true, the price zone we will be looking in will be $550-750k so I will keep looking through subdivisions to see what we really like in BH area. I want our kids to start somewhere and stay and be in school with kids in their neighborhood if they go to public school, if possible.
I really appreciate all of everyones help!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 PM

You should be fine in that price range. For your money, I like McGavock Farms, Belle Rive, Brent Meade, Lansdowne, Crockett Cove/Concord Chase.

I also like Chenoweth, though it's a bit farther out Concord. The less time I can spend on that road, the better. The same thing goes for Wildwood. It and Laurelwood have older homes with beautiful lots, but they're out Old Hickory Blvd. River Oaks can be accessed from Granny White Pike.

Some homes in Fountainhead are in your range. Great neighborhood, but I would hate to have to pull out onto Franklin Road every day. Brentwood Country Club has lots of retirees/empty nesters and is not so kid-friendly. It also has TINY lots.

You also could buy and totally redo an older home if you like one of the genteel older neighborhoods like Meadow Lake or Brenthaven.

OOps, you didn't ask for all that. Sorry! It's a compulsion.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 PM

No thats fantastic!!! The more info. the better anyone else that wants to add their 2 cents it is more than welcomed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville