Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 12:23 PM

56 posts, read 175,263 times

Advertisements

I am planning to retire and move to Nashville some time over the next year. I have seen much written about Hendersonville, Franklin, and East Nashville. West Nashville out by the river appears to be a well situated area, but I have not seen much about it. I am specifically talking about the area around I40 and Charlotte Pike. So I would appreciate comments on:

1. commute to downtown and Franklin,
2. proximity to the everyday needs like shopping, etc.,
3. safety,
4. general quality of life in the area,
5. trend of area - up, down, sideways, growing, shrinking, etc.,
6. cost of real estate -3 BR, 2 BA, about 2000 SF plus or minus,
7. anything else you think I should know about.

Thank you all, your comments have been of great help in narrowing down my search.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 03:11 PM

374 posts, read 690,277 times
Poor West Nashville just doesn't seem to get much attention. Probably because it's an odd but stable mix of real and faux mansions, out-of-fashion ranch houses, and a low-income enclave of pre-war starter homes. We relocated to Nashville last year and chose West Nashville mainly because we wanted a large treed lot (and a particular house). We like it a lot--very quiet, lots of wildlife, but close to shopping. Quite a bit happening w/ shopping--new places opening all the time.

My commute to downtown is about 15 mins (maybe 34-40 min. to Franklin).

Our neighborhood is about halfway between upper crust Belle Meade and seedy Charlotte Pike and it seems quite safe (if you're not hanging out on the boulevard near the discount tobacco store).

Trend here (if there is one): tearing down the 50's-60's ranch houses and putting up McMansions but it's slowed down and the lots are large so they're easier to ignore. Prices are all over the place depending on what you want and the street it's on. Search RealTracs.com (zips 37205/37209) and you'll find quite a range of prices; The photos (supplemented by Google Maps' wonderful Street View) will show you why.

East Nashville has a lot to like (at least in our view): an interesting, diverse, liberal community of like-minded people but we decided we'd rather visit that occasionally (while living in a peaceful, cleaner, quieter environment). West Nashville is certainly not up-and-coming* or has-been cool but we're too old (and cool!) to care.

(*Nearby Sylvan Park is trying.)

Old 04-16-2010, 12:12 AM

933 posts, read 2,732,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
Poor West Nashville just doesn't seem to get much attention. Probably because it's an odd but stable mix of real and faux mansions, out-of-fashion ranch houses, and a low-income enclave of pre-war starter homes. We relocated to Nashville last year and chose West Nashville mainly because we wanted a large treed lot (and a particular house). We like it a lot--very quiet, lots of wildlife, but close to shopping. Quite a bit happening w/ shopping--new places opening all the time.

My commute to downtown is about 15 mins (maybe 34-40 min. to Franklin).

Our neighborhood is about halfway between upper crust Belle Meade and seedy Charlotte Pike and it seems quite safe (if you're not hanging out on the boulevard near the discount tobacco store).

Trend here (if there is one): tearing down the 50's-60's ranch houses and putting up McMansions but it's slowed down and the lots are large so they're easier to ignore. Prices are all over the place depending on what you want and the street it's on. Search RealTracs.com (zips 37205/37209) and you'll find quite a range of prices; The photos (supplemented by Google Maps' wonderful Street View) will show you why.

East Nashville has a lot to like (at least in our view): an interesting, diverse, liberal community of like-minded people but we decided environment). West Nashville is certainly not up-and-coming* or has-been cool but we're too old (and cool!) to care.

(*Nearby Sylvan Park is trying.)
Yep, I think the term is "Mini-McMansions" when houses are converted to these monstrosities in inner core type neighborhoods. Unfortunately, these are not just popping up in sprawlish suburbs anymore (see former Civil War battlefields turned into subdivisions and/or strip malls; Williamson County, TN).

Old 04-16-2010, 08:40 AM

210 posts, read 585,957 times
There has actually been a recent resurgence of trying to reno. some of the ranches out that way. It is one of the few places in Nashville where you can find true mid-century architecture in homes (which are now kind of a collector’s item). So if you are looking for a project, west Nashville might be your spot.
And BTW, there is a pretty big need for ranch houses now and days, many families want "one floor living". The sprawling 2-3 story "mcmansions" are on their way out, epically for those who are not interested in keeping up with the Jones's. The hard part about this is that there are no new ranches being built, if someone wants a ranch they have to buy existing. And most families are not able to take on a major renovation.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:33 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,700,840 times
Crieve Hall has a trend of mid century modern renos. They actually do a tour of homes each spring:
Crieve Hall Tour

Pepster- you might want to look at Crieve Hall also. It's between downtown and Franklin. It a really nice part of town, close to Radnor Lake. Some realtors/home owners adverstise as being in Crieve Hall when they are not, so you need to know the parameters for a home search. This website gives the borders of true Crieve Hall:
CHNA Boundaries (http://crieve-hall-admin.com/CHNABoundaries.aspx - broken link)
CHNA Boundaries (http://crieve-hall-admin.com/CHNABoundaries.aspx - broken link)

Old 04-16-2010, 10:01 AM

374 posts, read 690,277 times
I always think (or hope?) the McMansions are going to soon become ugly reminders of our very recent indulgent/greedy past and be torn down or converted to multi-family housing. The mid-century one-story houses are becoming the choice for the creative class (artists, musicians, etc.). Most are very dull and conservative (I've taken to calling them McDwellings) but some are absolute gems. We stumbled onto the first (and only?) one to be added to the Registry of Historic Places and there are about three others on our street slated for protection of some sort.

Sorry--off topic, I know. But on topic (sort of): they're a great bargain because the masses aren't interested as modesty in housing isn't the norm anymore.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 AM

210 posts, read 585,957 times
I am on the hunt for a true mid century that is in need of some love. I have a bid in on a house that was built in the 60's but has some of the MCM characteristics, will find out tonight if the offer was accepted. But right now my estimates for the renos I want to do are WAY over my budget...<sad face>. So who knows...because if I am going to do it, I am going to do it right ya know.
*****sorry, still off topic*****

Old 04-16-2010, 12:37 PM

627 posts, read 1,839,335 times
Sucrose hit the nail on this head with the first reply post. I work by the prisons in West Nashville and life just south of Franklin. You can get to downtown Franklin via Hillsboro Rd. in 30 minutes.

West Nashville seems to me to be the working class area of Nashville.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:01 PM

56 posts, read 175,263 times
Great responses! Thank you all very much!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 PM

940 posts, read 1,892,940 times
When I was a kid in West Meade, in the 50's~60's West Nashville seemed dominated by families with ties to the Ford glass plant. I had many friends at church and school from there. Is Charlotte Rd. redevelopment happening? Is the glass plant still running?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville