Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,392 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are relocating to the Franklin/Brentwood area from out of state. We have found a house that we are interested in. It's in a neighborhood called Laurelbrooke. Does anyone have any info about that area? Is Franklin or Brentwood nicer? We have four children and are looking for a neighborhood with lots of children. Also, interested in a newer, larger home (need at least 5 bedrooms). Obviously, since we have children, schools are our main concern. We would ideally prefer private schools. Looking for rigorous college prep with all the extras. Such as music, arts, language (hoping for Mandarin). I can't tell if any of the area private schools have "everything". Can you give me opinions on which ones are best? Is it still possible to get in for Fall 2010? The public schools for Laurelbrooke are Grassland Elementary, Grassland Middle, and Franklin High. What are those like? Thank you so much for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 03:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Laurelbrooke is one of the more expensive gated communities in the area. There are plenty of kids in the neighborhood. They will be from well-to-do families who are a mix of CEOs, physicians, bankers, builders, pro athletes, some Christian and country music people, among others. Oprah brought a house for her dad there.
The area is not convenient to MAJOR shopping. There is a grocery in the old Grassland shopping center, but any major retail centers are at least a 15 minute drive on some windy roads.
As for public schools, Grassland is excellent. The usual private school options for people who live there include Ensworth, Christ Prebysterian Academy, Montgomery Bell Academy (all boys), Harpeth Hall (all girls), Franklin Road Academy, Brentwood Academy, and Battle Ground Academy (BGA). There are other Catholic schools but you didn't mention that. University School of Nashville (USN) is across from Vanderbilt in Nashville and it offers Mandarin. There are a lot of Vandy prof kids there. Ensworth also offers Mandarin and would be more convenient for you than USN. The best way to find out is to go to the school sites and check under Curriculum.
I'll be happy to offer whatever other info I can.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:27 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
There are a good number of families in laurelbrooke. It is a beautiful community. Private school admissions are over for 2010, but that doesn't mean some schools don't still have space, especially depending on the grade. Ensworth has Mandarin as does Harpeth Hall.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:42 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,363 times
You don't need private school in Williamson County. The school district is very good. Unless you have $15-$20k per year burning a hole in your pocket, stick to the public schools.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:41 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
You don't need private school in Williamson County. The school district is very good. Unless you have $15-$20k per year burning a hole in your pocket, stick to the public schools.
If you value things like foreign language in elementary school, strong arts and music instruction and smaller classes then you won't get that in WCS. It is easiest to learn a foreign language, especially a tonal language like Mandarin at 5 than it is at 13. The average class size is over 20 in WCS for elementary. The private schools all are at 16 plus an aide.

Last edited by septimus; 03-18-2010 at 04:51 AM..

Old 03-19-2010, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 9,392 times
Thanks everyone for your help! We are looking at BGA and Ensworth. Do they both have a good reputation? May be leaning towards BGA due to proximity.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
For the record, Brentwood Middle also was named a Blue Ribbon School in 2006. Franklin Elementary also has received the award. Those are two I can think of off the top of my head. There may be others that other posters may know about.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:37 PM

13 posts, read 17,218 times
Laurelbrooke is a great neighborhood...my inlaws live there and like it a lot.
I actually prefer Franklin to Brentwood. Franklin has some character to it...Brentwood could basically be in anytown USA. It has no soul. I currently live there and am trying to get out!
As for private schools, I think they are a much better option that the public schools. Williamson County is supposed to be one of the best in the state, but we are in Tennessee, that's really not saying much!
I'd go for Ensworth over BGA. Ensworth has an awesome reputation and the academics are top notch. MBA for boys and Harpeth Hall for girls are right there with Ensworth. Other great private schools are Oak Hill and Harding Academy...a lot of the families in Laurelbrooke go to Harding Academy (it stops at 8th grade).

Old 03-28-2010, 08:37 AM

76 posts, read 227,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonrose View Post
As for private schools, I think they are a much better option that the public schools. Williamson County is supposed to be one of the best in the state, but we are in Tennessee, that's really not saying much!.
Consider yourself lucky, there are plenty of other states (including California where we are) who wish their public school system to be as good as Tennessee!!

Old 03-29-2010, 05:15 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonrose View Post
As for private schools, I think they are a much better option that the public schools. Williamson County is supposed to be one of the best in the state, but we are in Tennessee, that's really not saying much!
We can afford to send our son to private school. Overall, we are happy with the education he's currently receiving for "free". I can't see that spending $15k per year is going to get him that much better prepared for life.

Also, Tennessee just won this....
Race to the Top winners: How did Delaware and Tennessee succeed? / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: