Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:54 AM

815 posts, read 2,007,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
This argument frustrates the snot out of me. Why is it when people talk about crime here, someone invariably feels the need to pipe in with "You think it's bad here? Crime here is nothing compared to Miami/Chicago/Detroit/Oakland/South Central/any other crappy, crime-infested major city in the continental US."

Thankfully, Nashville is nothing like most of those places nor do most of us want it to be. Everything is relative and relatively speaking crime in Antioch is pretty bad so stop bringing statistical data from other places to compare to here - the dynamics simply do not compare. As a society should we just accept the current level of crime because, gee whiz, it sure isn't as bad as it could be? Thank god we don't have people dying in the streets or hospital waiting room as people walk by and do nothing nor do we have kids committing suicide because they were bullied relentlessly and called "Irish scum" by classmates while school officials did nothing.

/rant
He left staticts requarding crime in Antioch, what else needs to be proven?
Why would Antioch be compared to Mt. Juliet, Hendersonville, or Franklin, as another post stated? Antioch is in Nashville-Davidson County, the others aren't. Much different demographics and population as compared to those mentioned, simply do not compare...
You mention people dying in the streets or hospital waiting rooms? Kids committing suicide? I know you can't be talking about in Antioch, if so please provide evidence.
All you need to know is Antioch is handing its own, Antioch Chamber of Commerce (Antioch Together, www.antiochtogether.com) along with the schools, churches as well as the community, work daily to keep Antioch a safe and welcoming community for all. No need to argue about you views of the crime rate in Antioch, you're not doing anything to help anyways and I'm sure you are not doing anything in your own area, Murfreesboro, it sure has its fair share of crimes too, being that it is a smaller city than Nashville. So until you are wiling to come and help out with situations in Antioch, which are situations of the entire city, which includes stopping the negative post, you don't need to say anything at all, enough has been said already...
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:43 PM

909 posts, read 1,057,910 times
Comparing the Nashville suburb of Antioch to other Nashville suburbs is more fair than comparing it to inner-city Chicago.

Compaing Antioch from 10 or 15 years ago to Antioch today is also fair. I hear H H Gregg moved out of Hickory Hollow. They were the first big-box appliance store out there. Most people know and readily admit what has happened there the last ten years or so. It's a darn shame too. I really used to enjoy shopping in that area.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
Comparing the Nashville suburb of Antioch to other Nashville suburbs is more fair than comparing it to inner-city Chicago.

Compaing Antioch from 10 or 15 years ago to Antioch today is also fair. I hear H H Gregg moved out of Hickory Hollow. They were the first big-box appliance store out there. Most people know and readily admit what has happened there the last ten years or so. It's a darn shame too. I really used to enjoy shopping in that area.
What is your point TVofM? What are you tryin to prove? I do not see it at all? You are not adding anything positive to the Greater Nashville area, NOTHING, leave it along. You don't live in Antioch, so let it go. There is nothing here for you, noting needed from you either... What do you want???? Please, Please stop your negativity towards Antioch. It is very Rude!

Old 05-02-2010, 12:26 PM

764 posts, read 2,539,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
He left staticts requarding crime in Antioch, what else needs to be proven?
Why would Antioch be compared to Mt. Juliet, Hendersonville, or Franklin, as another post stated? Antioch is in Nashville-Davidson County, the others aren't. Much different demographics and population as compared to those mentioned, simply do not compare...
You mention people dying in the streets or hospital waiting rooms? Kids committing suicide? I know you can't be talking about in Antioch, if so please provide evidence.
All you need to know is Antioch is handing its own, Antioch Chamber of Commerce (Antioch Together, www.antiochtogether.com) along with the schools, churches as well as the community, work daily to keep Antioch a safe and welcoming community for all. No need to argue about you views of the crime rate in Antioch, you're not doing anything to help anyways and I'm sure you are not doing anything in your own area, Murfreesboro, it sure has its fair share of crimes too, being that it is a smaller city than Nashville. So until you are wiling to come and help out with situations in Antioch, which are situations of the entire city, which includes stopping the negative post, you don't need to say anything at all, enough has been said already...
Thanks!
You need to attend a class in reading comprehension. Nice to see the racist chip is still sitting firmly on your shoulder as well. My post had nothing to do with slamming Antioch, although it sure is an easy target. Read my post again, s~l~o~w~l~y and maybe it'll come across to you. I was making the point that people are comparing crime here to other, larger and more historically violent areas. Just because our stats aren't as bad as Miami's should mean we lower our standards for crime here. It's NOT ok to say that our crime rate is acceptable just because it's worse elsewhere. We need to set higher standards of living and raise our expectations as a community.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
You need to attend a class in reading comprehension. Nice to see the racist chip is still sitting firmly on your shoulder as well. My post had nothing to do with slamming Antioch, although it sure is an easy target. Read my post again, s~l~o~w~l~y and maybe it'll come across to you. I was making the point that people are comparing crime here to other, larger and more historically violent areas. Just because our stats aren't as bad as Miami's should mean we lower our standards for crime here. It's NOT ok to say that our crime rate is acceptable just because it's worse elsewhere. We need to set higher standards of living and raise our expectations as a community.

No you need learning comprehension all together Mary Moon, you are the racist. Antioch has high standards. Do you have high standards? Obviously you don't. You seem to be a low life anyways... Get a life woman and move on...Read this post again, S-L-O-W-L-Y and firgure out what I am tryin to say to you, if you can't figure it out I'll just send just say it out loud.....Holding my tounge as I speak now....

Old 05-02-2010, 05:28 PM

909 posts, read 1,057,910 times
The suburb of Antioch hasn't had high standards for the last ten years unless you are comparing it to a violent housing project in the slums. Even before that, when it was a mostly (relatively) safer middle class suburb, people wouldn't have classified it as living up to any sort of "high standards." Even then, it would have been hard to misinterpret "mediocre" for anything other than "mediocre." In 2010, most people would love to have the 1995 "mediocre" Antioch suburban area back in a heartbeat.

The original poster wants to know which parts of town have fallen into higher crime. It's a legit question and deserves to be answered. Again, there are even worse areas in Davidson County - areas that are not even safe to go to during daylight hours.

As far as Mary's Murfreesboro goes, five MTSU students were robbed at gunpoint the other day. My daughter turned down a full academic scholarship to MTSU's Honors College that included a stipend bonus because of how unsafe it is getting. More and more of Rutherford County's best students are shunning MTSU in favor of UT-Chattanooga (about an hour & a half drive) and this is one of the reasons why. Driving 90 minutes to come home on a Friday afternoon is better than getting mugged.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:07 PM

99 posts, read 231,837 times
Sorry to have had this turn into something this isn't productive. I can off course look at the number for crime this this site has but if they are anything close to the numbers they have for the area we are in here they won't do me much good. Thought I would try to get a local take on it. Thank you for all the replys.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:49 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,769,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer56 View Post
Looking around Nashville... Also some areas out a bit like Hendersonville, Smyrna, Columbia, M'Boro, Gallatin and such. We want a 3 bd with garage for 800 and under.

Those areas should be OK for you..OK as in good...come on down..people are nice here in my experience so far..only thing that gets me is when they talk about the crime..it's not as bad as they say..especially in Antioch near to where I live..but really it's like anywhere else but better as far as minding your business and being safe...people here are overall nice on the surface..you do see a few scumbags every once in a while though as u would see in all metro areas.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:19 PM

35 posts, read 90,387 times
If you want to get a flavor for an area and the relative safety of that area, look at the retail development. When stores are boarding up their windows and moving out..look out. You can argue the relative safety all you want. Just go into Hickory Hollow Mall.

Take a look:

Hickory Harlem

Old 07-01-2010, 12:11 PM

634 posts, read 1,415,064 times
You can find crime anywhere. It's wise to treat people with respect because you never know just how bad of a day they have already had.

YouTube - Its a great day for me to whip somebody's ass.wmv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville