Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,554 times

Advertisements

what an irritating thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 09:12 PM

38 posts, read 149,541 times
Many thanks to everyone for the helpful guidance...

So if one needed good schools and a dog friendly neighborhood with single fam. homes $300k and less in Nashville, where would that be?

I am in town ever so briefly, right in the midst of the 100 year flood season year... ;P

Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 PM

225 posts, read 586,100 times
That depends on your definition of good schools. Apparently, many people seem to have different opinions on what makes up a good school. Also, what else would you like out of your community?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:06 PM

Good schools to me: Spanish (or other language) instruction however glancing in K, but part of the regular curriculum by 3-4th grade. A fully funded arts and physical/health education prgms. A supportive and active parent/student organization and faculty welcoming of the same.

As for the community:

I would like a walkable community, one that is friendly and well kept...however doesn't mind if I don't dressup before I do the grocery shopping... or for that matter doesn't mind if I do dress up. Maybe a little bit live and let live but overall tidy quality. And really safe as well.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:29 PM

210 posts, read 587,887 times
The community you describe exists here in Tennessee, there are quite a few great walkable communities that are beautiful, clean, postcard quality in nature...but i can assure you they are not filled with people who share your same beliefs.
This is the south...if finding a LARGE group of people in the form of a neighborhood with your same "progressive" leaning is high on your priority list...you might want to rethink a move the the area.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:47 AM

33 posts, read 93,563 times
Murfreesboro itself is pretty conservative and somewhat open minded IMO. I'm a liberal agnostic and I don't have any troubles around town or anything. The big thing is that you don't go around crusading your beliefs because there will be people crusading their's and ready to get into a fight with you. I don't mention my beliefs politically or religiously or go around town holding The God Delusion in my hand. I'm still pretty well liked around my parts.

As for liberal parts of MT, I'd suggest getting a good house close to the campus of MTSU, Tullahoma perhaps or West End around Vandy.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 PM

..but i can assure you they are not filled with people who share your same beliefs. <--- Jeepers, that seems pretty sharp, what with not really discussing my 'beliefs' values, etc.

Who's to say there aren't many things upon which we or the ubiquitous 'they' can agree upon regardless of my 'leanings', as you say?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:34 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
Jjasking - what exactly do you mean by "progressive"?

Maybe someone else will comment on "good schools" in Nashville. Do you mean good private schools?

"I would like a walkable community" - how far do you want to walk? You will need a car in Murfreesboro. The Stones River Greenway is nice for walking (although not today), and it's not too far of a drive to get there...

"And really safe as well." The terms "really safe" and "progressive" are somewhat mutually exclusive. The "progressive" areas of TN are usually urban (Nashville and Memphis).

Old 05-05-2010, 06:28 AM

225 posts, read 586,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Jjasking - what exactly do you mean by "progressive"?

Maybe someone else will comment on "good schools" in Nashville. Do you mean good private schools?

"I would like a walkable community" - how far do you want to walk? You will need a car in Murfreesboro. The Stones River Greenway is nice for walking (although not today), and it's not too far of a drive to get there...

"And really safe as well." The terms "really safe" and "progressive" are somewhat mutually exclusive. The "progressive" areas of TN are usually urban (Nashville and Memphis).
In many ways, this is true about the "really safe" and "progressive" areas being somewhat mutually exclusive.

"Good schools" can be defined in so many different ways around here, as I have learned, so I have hesitated to just throw out any school districts without gathering more info. For example, Williamson county schools are highly ranked around here but looking at national stats, I realized that it's highly ranked for the state, but not nationally.... Therefore, when we were "shopping around," we realized that there are only a few parts of Williamson County where we would like to send our kids to school one day.
A lot of people seem think Williamson is the place to be, but I have discovered that Davidson, Rutherford, and Wilson are also on par with Williamson. (BTW, Davidson has a Spanish immersion magnet school).

Murfreesboro - I am sorry but it's not "progressive" in my opinion. In my experience here, I have learned the area isn't a "forward thinking community," which was extremely disappointing for us. But that's okay - it's great for so many other folks and we just realized it's not a good fit for us.... but it's GREAT that it's a great fit for many.

In most parts of the south, "walkable communities" don't exist. We are a car-dependent region so even transportation wise and such, we do things very differently from the northern counterparts. For the south, Atlanta has a lot of walkable communities but Nashville will need a few years before it gets to that point (if it decides to get to that point).

Old 05-05-2010, 06:30 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
OP-

We are liberals happily living in Franklin. We have no problems because of it.

You'll be fine. It's all in how you treat people anyway, right?

Our schools are good here, and Westhaven is a very walkable community. Too far from 65 for us, but it's beautiful. You might like it.

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville