Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 AM

150 posts, read 619,672 times

Advertisements

Also posted here:Occasional Muse: Mayor Dean Proposes an AMAZING Change in Highland Heights Neighborhood in East Nashville

The Big Idea

At tonight's Highland Heights Neighborhood Meeting, Mayor Dean described his vision for the future of the old Highland Heights Middle School building that houses Kipp Academy Nashville. While there are still bureaucratic steps that have to be taken (described below) and money that has to be allocated (also described below), Dean proposes the following:

- Based on estimations of the extensive work that needs to be done to the building, the city would spend approximately $10-12 million (and perhaps as much as $15 million) rehabbing the building

- KIPP Academy would expand by opening up an elementary school, making it a K-8 institution

- KIPP would have a campus that is truly part of the community and encourages public use of facilities such as a park, walking paths and benches, gym and a Limitless Library in partnership with Metro Public Library (Nashville.gov - Mayor's Office - Metro Schools, Public Library Form Partnership to Expand Library Services for High Schools - February 24, 2010)

- There will be public planning meetings that help shape what makes the most sense for the neighborhood and for the safety and well-being of the students

Holy cow! That would be so awesome! Now, on to the red tape...

The Bureaucratic Steps
What Dean proposes would involve the School Board of Metro Nashville Public Schools (MNPS) turning over the building to the city. Dean indicates that "MNPS is not in the position to put money into this building; if money isn’t put into the building it will continue to deteriorate." It is Dean's commitment that the building would be used for educational purposes.

Unofficially, it appears that the sticking point for local School Board Representative Gracie Porter is that she wants to see the deed revert to MNPS if KIPP Academy ever leaves. Her point to me tonight was her concern that there weren't many potential school buildings around in the area and she wants to see it remain a school.

[begin commentary] I see her point and I, too, would want to see it remain a public educational facility (and bear in mind, this is all hypothetical--as I don't want KIPP to go anywhere and they don't want to go anywhere else either). I'm not sure that in order to achieve such an aim, however, one has to have the deed revert back to MNPS. I think the city could continue to be a good caretaker of the building and have it serve other public educational needs. My main concern is that I really like the proposed relationship with the community described above and I don't think MNPS has a history of such an open relationship with the community (if I am wrong, please correct me). [end commentary]

Show Me the Money
Dean indicates that although the landscape has changed for Metro's capital budget since the flood, "this is a high priority for me." When asked by an excited meeting attendant (Michael Douglas, Charlie Bob's owner and President of Dickerson Road Merchants' Association), "How soon can we get started with this project?" Dean hoped it would be a matter of weeks or months. He said, “We need this neighborhood. We need this building and we need this school.”

What Dean has to say about KIPP

-KIPP is a truly tremendous school that can do a lot for this community and for the future of Nashville
-KIPP came when the city (MNPS) and the state were hostile to charter schools
-I would like to expand what they do here
-I think that if KIPP can develop and expand, it will send a message to the whole country
-I think it is important for the city to invest in this building and this community

By the way, we all owe a debt of gratitude to one of our neighborhood superwomen, Amy Bryson, for asking KIPP to come here in the first place and working hard to bring them to Highland Heights.

The Highland Heights neighborhood boundaries are Dickerson Road to Ellington Parkway and Douglas Avenue to Trinity Lane. The Highland Heights Neighborhood Association meets the second Monday of every month at 7:00 pm at KIPP Academy. Jamie Hollin is the Council Member and he is in full support.

This is a bold move by Mayor Dean. I am proud to support it!

Carol McCullough
Cleveland Park (just south of Highland Heights)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 01:18 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol McCullough View Post
Also posted here:Occasional Muse: Mayor Dean Proposes an AMAZING Change in Highland Heights Neighborhood in East Nashville

The Big Idea
At tonight's Highland Heights Neighborhood Meeting, Mayor Dean described his vision for the future of the old Highland Heights Middle School building that houses Kipp Academy Nashville. While there are still bureaucratic steps that have to be taken (described below) and money that has to be allocated (also described below), Dean proposes the following:

- Based on estimations of the extensive work that needs to be done to the building, the city would spend approximately $10-12 million (and perhaps as much as $15 million) rehabbing the building

- KIPP Academy would expand by opening up an elementary school, making it a K-8 institution

- KIPP would have a campus that is truly part of the community and encourages public use of facilities such as a park, walking paths and benches, gym and a Limitless Library in partnership with Metro Public Library (Nashville.gov - Mayor's Office - Metro Schools, Public Library Form Partnership to Expand Library Services for High Schools - February 24, 2010)

- There will be public planning meetings that help shape what makes the most sense for the neighborhood and for the safety and well-being of the students

Holy cow! That would be so awesome! Now, on to the red tape...

The Bureaucratic Steps
What Dean proposes would involve the School Board of Metro Nashville Public Schools (MNPS) turning over the building to the city. Dean indicates that "MNPS is not in the position to put money into this building; if money isn’t put into the building it will continue to deteriorate." It is Dean's commitment that the building would be used for educational purposes.

Unofficially, it appears that the sticking point for local School Board Representative Gracie Porter is that she wants to see the deed revert to MNPS if KIPP Academy ever leaves. Her point to me tonight was her concern that there weren't many potential school buildings around in the area and she wants to see it remain a school.

[begin commentary] I see her point and I, too, would want to see it remain a public educational facility (and bear in mind, this is all hypothetical--as I don't want KIPP to go anywhere and they don't want to go anywhere else either). I'm not sure that in order to achieve such an aim, however, one has to have the deed revert back to MNPS. I think the city could continue to be a good caretaker of the building and have it serve other public educational needs. My main concern is that I really like the proposed relationship with the community described above and I don't think MNPS has a history of such an open relationship with the community (if I am wrong, please correct me). [end commentary]

Show Me the Money
Dean indicates that although the landscape has changed for Metro's capital budget since the flood, "this is a high priority for me." When asked by an excited meeting attendant (Michael Douglas, Charlie Bob's owner and President of Dickerson Road Merchants' Association), "How soon can we get started with this project?" Dean hoped it would be a matter of weeks or months. He said, “We need this neighborhood. We need this building and we need this school.”

What Dean has to say about KIPP

-KIPP is a truly tremendous school that can do a lot for this community and for the future of Nashville
-KIPP came when the city (MNPS) and the state were hostile to charter schools
-I would like to expand what they do here
-I think that if KIPP can develop and expand, it will send a message to the whole country
-I think it is important for the city to invest in this building and this community

By the way, we all owe a debt of gratitude to one of our neighborhood superwomen, Amy Bryson, for asking KIPP to come here in the first place and working hard to bring them to Highland Heights.

The Highland Heights neighborhood boundaries are Dickerson Road to Ellington Parkway and Douglas Avenue to Trinity Lane. The Highland Heights Neighborhood Association meets the second Monday of every month at 7:00 pm at KIPP Academy. Jamie Hollin is the Council Member and he is in full support.

This is a bold move by Mayor Dean. I am proud to support it!

Carol McCullough
Cleveland Park (just south of Highland Heights)
Great news. Let's hope this comes to fruition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville