Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 04:42 PM

48 posts, read 108,392 times

Advertisements

I will be working very close to Vandy, and was wondering where is the safest, cheapest housing for cheap with the best commute time? I love the houses around west end/hillsboro area, but not a chance I can afford those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 11:36 AM

49 posts, read 141,215 times
Wish I could give you a more promising answer, but the reality is that it is not promising unless you are going to be 15-20 miles or more away. If renting, I would check out Smyrna off the Sam Ridley exit. It is a quick commute considering the distance. There are some very nice apartments over there that are affordable, and luxurious (start at $750 per month). The only other option is if you can find someone through someone you know that may rent a room out in their home in the west end/hillsboro area (or if you are careful, on Craigslist). If you are buying, that is one of the most expensive areas to buy in (starting at $300k and up usually). I have worked with so many people that work at Vandy that asked for the same thing, and have years of experience with it. I promise you, you will either have to just drive or not be happy with the safe/cheap thing. Bellevue has some nice rentals that are expensive, but somewhat affordable still. I have great friends in the apartment business that may be able to help. One I know is Amy and she works at Madison at Ridgelake on Old Hickory (there are 5 Old Hickory roads in and around Nashville, so don't want to confuse you). You take I-40 west to the Old Hickory exit and turn left, go about a mile or so and it will be a short sign on your right. Call and ask for her first though. Just google it. Tell her Vickie Tomlinson sent you. I bet she may be able to work something out for you. She is so awesome!

Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true or seems like a "great deal" on the buying or renting end of things, it IS! Every time! There will always be some issue when it comes to that. I have seen it sooooo many times.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:07 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Are you looking to rent or buy? I would consider Crieve Hall. It's a great little community of ranch houses that's in Nashville between Vanderbillt and Brentwood. Houses in Crieve Hall start around $200K.
The Crieve Hall Neighborhood Ass. has a website that gives you the neighborhood parameters:
CHNA Boundaries (http://crieve-hall-admin.com/CHNABoundaries.aspx - broken link)

Old 05-13-2010, 12:19 PM

10 posts, read 64,576 times
Consider the Edgehill neighborhood. It is cheaper than Hillsboro Village and still within walking distance to Vanderbilt. The most significant downside is the public housing on 12th Ave S., but I still like the neighborhood.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:03 PM

48 posts, read 108,392 times
Thank you for your responses. I am looking to buy a house. I have heard alot about crieve hall. Is this area close to antioch at all?

Old 05-14-2010, 07:06 AM

9 posts, read 16,188 times
Not really. Antioch is pretty much east of Nolensville Pike, and east of Edmondson Pike can be sketchy, but Creive Hall area (from what their website says) is all west of Edmondson Pike.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:32 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
You might want to check out parts of Charlotte Park and Sylvan Heights. Both would be gentrifying type areas and crime would probably be different on a street to street basis. I have some friends that have lived in that area for over 5 years and never had a problem, but I would do some research before buying. BTW, If you like Hillsboro/West End area, Smyrna would be the exact opposite (urban, walkable vs suburban, car centric). If your looking for a suburban type area Bellevue would be a good option. I actually drove through the Crieve Hall neighborhood last week for the first time and was very impressed. Seemed like a well kept nice 1950's era ranch house type neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville