Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:00 AM

42 posts, read 123,433 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I've been on this board a lot asking questions about Nashville since we're moving there in August. Well, we just got back from our first trip there and we absolutely LOVE it! It's so clean and foresty! People were really friendly and the bbq meat there is to die for.
The humidity was a bit overwhelming for a Southern California girl. My make-up kept smearing and I was sticky. I guess I'll learn how to deal with it! Do people adjust to humidity?
Thanks for all your help on this board!
Heidi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 10:29 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Glad you enjoyed your visit! It was really sticky this weekend...which is pretty normal for summertime in TN...or anywhere else in the South.

As for ways of dealing with humidity...well, we just do. If you can, stay indoors from noon until 5:00 or so...or at least don't plan any strenuous activity during those times if you can prevent it. I always mow/do yardwork in the morning or after supper if at all possible. That will help some. And always be aware of where shady spots are...especially if you're parking your car outside. Keeping hydrated is always important too, as is wearing breathable clothing (cotton) as much as possible. There's a reason that sweet iced tea & lemonade are a staples of our culinary tradition here. I'm afraid I'm not sure what to tell you about makeup though. Maybe some of the ladies can assist you there.

One last thought...if you were on the go outdoors much of the weekend, just remember that you likely won't be outside all the time once you get here. If you're like me, I'm go-go-go when I'm on vacation or exploring...that only exaserbates the heat/humidity. Once you settle into a home and go at a more leisurely place it may not be as bad as you think. But don't let anyone fool you and tell you it's not too hot here. It is. The humidity does take a bit of getting used to. Especially in late July-August. Still, I think it's a minor inconvenience considering all the other great things we have to offer.

Glad to have you here and hope you settle in!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:45 AM

620 posts, read 1,837,979 times
Heidi: I felt the same way as you about the humidity when I was there two weeks ago. But I think Don is totally right - it's a small inconvenience for the great time you'll have there. I know what you mean about the makeup - as soon as I stepped outside I was all sweaty. But I think I would take that for a few months in place of my northern winters. Good luck with move!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times
Try using a lighter weight makeup; possibly one that is oil free would help.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:05 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
The humidity is hard to get used to, especially coming from California. You won't be able to leave your windows open the way you might out there,unless you don't mind a stuffy nose.
Last weekend the humidity was so high I just stayed in under the air conditioner most of the time.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:14 AM

13 posts, read 33,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
Heidi: I felt the same way as you about the humidity when I was there two weeks ago. But I think Don is totally right - it's a small inconvenience for the great time you'll have there. I know what you mean about the makeup - as soon as I stepped outside I was all sweaty. But I think I would take that for a few months in place of my northern winters. Good luck with move!
I definitely agree, you will get used to the humidity in no time! It is a small inconvenience for what Nashville has to offer. Once the summer is over, the fall is a nice change of pace. It is beautiful everywhere in the south when the seasons change.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:28 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Gail Kerr just posted a great article about visiting Nashville:

Answers will help y'all better enjoy visit to Nashville | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Old 06-08-2010, 05:12 PM

36 posts, read 63,625 times
ive lived in the nashville area all my life and im still not used to the humidity. im just a cold climate person and every summer is hell for me.

some people can adjust easy, some really never do, just depends on how well you can tolerate the heat

Old 06-09-2010, 06:21 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,524 times
Get a Brazilian Blowout for your hair and it will be more manageable in the humidity. You will spend more time touching up your makeup...but it's a small inconvenience. We've lived here for almost two years now and are constantly finding more things we like about living in the Nashville area!

Oh...and everything is relative. The humidity in Nashville feels like nothing compared to Memphis just a few hours away.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:49 PM

43 posts, read 290,358 times
I have been in Nashville all my 28 yrs, and you never get used to the humidity. Welcome to TN summers baby! haha, TODAY is REALLY REALLY STICKY! UGH! It feels like your walking in an oven... but you just learn how to deal... But TN is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville