Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Anyway, Spain's Catalunya province is the first in that country that decided to ban bull fighting The only remaining arena in Barcelona will be closed in 2012. I hope other provinces will follow suit.
BBC News - Catalonia bans bullfighting in landmark Spain vote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 07:33 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Guess they could be (pets, that is). My neighbor has a pet cow; it comes right up on the porch....I applaud Catalonia for banning bull fighting. It's a cruel 'sport'. And I can't muster any sympathy for people who get trampled during the running of the bulls.

That's kind of like setting out food for bears so that they will get close enough so some dolt can "capture a really great shot" of them, and then everyone is shocked when the bears attack or kill people.

A few weeks ago or so, there was a video on the national news of a bison charging people - and hurting one - who were taking its picture. They just had to get closer to the animal, and then Idiot in the Crowd throws something at the bison. Apparently it really pissed the animal off, and it charged at whomever was in its way.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:22 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Bulls are quite aggressive in general, probably because they used to have so many enemies in the wild. While that has largely changed in most parts of the world, it is still in their genes. In Africa buffaloes, just like hippos, kill more people than typical predators such as lions or snakes do.

Unfortunately the Catalunya decision has not changed anything here, they broadcast at least one bullfight a week live on TV, it is considered like a football match in the US

I wonder about the mental state of the people attending those spectacles, in the audience there are entire families complete with little children...

Old 08-17-2010, 05:01 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
...it is considered like a football match in the US

I wonder about the mental state of the people attending those spectacles, in the audience there are entire families complete with little children...
I don't watch football (or as it should be known, "foosball" - Waterboy).

I don't understand the 'enjoyable' spectacle of it all, either. It's not any different than dog-fighting in my eyes.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:15 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Somehow, i don't think of a bull when i think of a pet, i suppose anything in life is possible, but don't bulls have a tendacy to be agrressive. They appear to have agressive personlitys.

Can't quite see, having a bull up on my bed.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
i know a few people with "bulls" as pets, especially minature zebu bulls. there certinaly not pets in the traditional sense of the word, but many people get quite attatched to their bovine buddies.

pets or not i think bull fighting is a horrible sport. i too cant find any sympathy for bullfighters and people who get trampled/gored as a thanks for them stabbing the bulls with spears.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:39 PM

553 posts, read 1,544,470 times
Here's an extremely short article about how aggressive and unpredictable bulls can be. This bull was not a pet, he was bought for stud purposes.
Bull Stomps New Owner To Death - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

But it's just a reminder to people that bulls should never, ever be confused with a "pet". Because most pets reciprocate love and I don't think bulls are capable of that. On Animal Planet they have a show called Fatal Attractions. There was one full hour episode dedicated to "pet" bulls. It was disturbing to say the least.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:09 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i know a few people with "bulls" as pets, especially minature zebu bulls. there certinaly not pets in the traditional sense of the word, but many people get quite attatched to their bovine buddies.

pets or not i think bull fighting is a horrible sport. i too cant find any sympathy for bullfighters and people who get trampled/gored as a thanks for them stabbing the bulls with spears.
Don't they have aggressive behaviors, and violent streaks. I have a hard time processing a bull as a loving pet!

Old 03-18-2011, 05:00 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
Passing a neighbor's farm on the way to work a few weeks ago, I drove up on two of his bulls standing on the double yellow line. I honked, inched forward, rolled down the window, then thought better of it.

They won. I waited. I've seen too many shows on National Geographic of animals attacking cars. My jeep was no match.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:19 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
Here's an extremely short article about how aggressive and unpredictable bulls can be. This bull was not a pet, he was bought for stud purposes.
Bull Stomps New Owner To Death - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

But it's just a reminder to people that bulls should never, ever be confused with a "pet". Because most pets reciprocate love and I don't think bulls are capable of that. On Animal Planet they have a show called Fatal Attractions. There was one full hour episode dedicated to "pet" bulls. It was disturbing to say the least.
Can't rep you again but I just wanted to say I saw that show too. No, I do not believe bulls can ever be pets. I do believe that people can fool themselves into thinking bulls can be pets. For a short time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature