Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:47 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

(I mentioned this on the thread about where we had a black widow in our driveway on a 30° morning that was till alive!)

I am in northeast Tennessee and I am seeing Robin birds around here! My dad said he seen some last week (around Christmas), I thought he was kidding.

However today I seen about 15 of them on the courthouse lawn! I am 34 years old and I have lived here all of my life and have NEVER seen a robin in January! March maybe- or maybe even late February, but never early January! I bet they are regretting it since this also looks like its going to be a record cold winter - or near it anyway... we only had 2 days with above average highs in December 2010! I mean we are the south, but not the deep south and it does get cold here being higher terrain of 1100-2000 ft in elevation in the region.... we are between 1400-1600 ft here.

Anyone else been seeing these that normally dont see them this time of year?

I hope they will be OK... looks like another unusually cold and snowy week in our future!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 11:21 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
they stay around here all winter.....

Old 01-07-2011, 06:11 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times
I'm farther south (Florida), so we ONLY have them in the winter, I look forward to seeing them every year because they were one of my favorite birds growing up in Michigan

Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Really? Not over here on the West side of the state.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:37 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Wow, thats strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I'm farther south (Florida), so we ONLY have them in the winter, I look forward to seeing them every year because they were one of my favorite birds growing up in Michigan
Isnt it strange how things work out... I thought they all went to the DEEP south for the winter, where there is a select few this year that has decided to hang out here, which is not good... we are expecting well below average temperatures all week... some nights could be as cold as 20° below average = they are not going to like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Really? Not over here on the West side of the state.
not here either in east TN.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:11 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Some people notice them; some people don't. Also, it may be that no robins frequented a particular neighborhood or park, and now some of them have discovered it. In CA I lived next to a park, walked there daily, and observed about 90 species of birds. No robin. However, about ten miles away, at a different park (nature preserve) I did see robins.

This map shows the range of the American robin. Yellow is summer, blue is winter, and green is year-round.

File:American Robin-rangemap.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-08-2011, 09:38 PM

511 posts, read 2,198,947 times
I live in northern WY and I see robins all year round. Granted, not nearly as many in the winter and not in the same places as I would see them in the spring/summer. But they're here.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:44 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Robins usually switch their diet from small animals like worms, to fruit once it gets cold and have an enormous winter range. Some of them go pretty far south and others can stick around whenever they can find berries on trees to last them the winter long (so you might see them near those trees). It's often said that robins migrate along the 37F degree isotherm line when they fly north in the spring.

Last edited by Stumbler.; 01-08-2011 at 09:59 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 AM

455 posts, read 1,238,367 times
This thread is very strange to me, in the UK Robins are seen more often in the winter months because of their red breast against a backdrop of white snow.

On one of our doggy walks there is a Country Lane where they must be breeding as there are loads of them quite tame too, they will let you get quite close.

That part of the beauty of owning a dog, going on our Country walks and seeing the wildlife at its best.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Middle TN and we've still got plenty here. Never thought of it. I don't remember them not being here during a certain time of year though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature